Author Topic: Autocasting Magic Attacks  (Read 370 times)

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Autocasting Magic Attacks
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:31:29 pm »
Hello everyone. I am suggesting the ability to autocast magic attacks. Training magic is mentally exhausting compared to ranged and melee. Ranged and melee have the ability to autoattack dummies. I am suggesting an autocast feature for magic attacks only to be on par with ranged and melee.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:33:33 pm by Richgar »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Autocasting Magic Attacks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 10:21:55 pm »
clicking a button every few seconds is mentally exhausting?

you're missing the problem completely, which is the fact that mmo players and developers alike mindlessly accept the false notion that training MUST equate to grinding. the proper wish would be for the 'game' side of PS would feel more like an adventure and less like a chore, certainly not a background operation.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:16:48 pm »
Yes, everyone wishes fighting real enemies were more efficient for leveling skills than fighting dummies. However, my suggestion is for the current leveling system. Maybe you can suggest a new system. On a sidenote, maybe enemies can have a practice points modifier that increases or decreases practice point gains of any attack or defense against them. Then weak enemies like rats and dummies would be inefficient to train on for higher level players.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:45:25 pm by Richgar »

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 12:53:17 am »
Magic drains mana sooner than mélêè gains fatigue.
Also, spells have tended to be more nuanced in designs, and thus casting them requires more than simply wailing on an enemy with your weapon.  However, this is not always exclusive of physical attacks.  In games like Mortal Kombat or Tekken, et al, you have combos and such.  WoW has special so-called combo points for Rogues.  Rift has the whatchamacallits too, but their classes are much more articulate.

So, what would autocasting do to play?

If the experience system gets improved, repetitive practice would not be so important viz. no more grinding (except to produce goods).
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 01:09:56 am »
I am with you, Richgar.

You could always just make a script which loops with a key pressed. Is that cheating? I mean, you're at your keyboard, hitting a key. It's not like you're using a bot or anything.  :-X
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:35:11 am »
If you stuff the keyboard, make sure to slip in a pause of random length between key presses :p
Oh, and you need to be able to automatically say something like "Ahoy there me maytee. Arrgggh!" if a gm sees you and sends you a /tell. They may turn you around, in which case, it might be best to throw them an emote, wait a random amount of time, then resume your spelling. Something like * "/me looks around bet sees nobody at all [ No IC entities, that is *wink* ] and smiles before turning back around to fight the monster that swallowed his beloved."

* deliberate misspelling in emote to make it look more realistic

:-X

Seriously though, at what point do we have the client play the game for us while we sit and watch? Yes, shields automatically block and swords automatically strike x times per second per hand. Meh... would it be better if the client spammed spells until it ran out of mana? What if you could only cast 2 very high level spells and wanted to cast only 1 high level spell and 2 lower level spells. Might the client accidentally cast 2 if you didn't stop it in time?

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:56:07 am »
Honestly, auto- or semi-AFK-training is not what you want to encourage by game-design.
However, if you want to do "multitasking" while training magic, there is still the option to enchant gems.

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:12:37 pm »
Honestly, auto- or semi-AFK-training is not what you want to encourage by game-design.
However, if you want to do "multitasking" while training magic, there is still the option to enchant gems.

Other combat skills are trained with one press. I'm just suggesting the same for magic.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:15:24 pm by Richgar »