Author Topic: I love being a thief  (Read 815 times)

Animosh

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
I love being a thief
« on: October 26, 2004, 08:55:48 pm »
Every game i play i am a thief. The best pickpocket systems i have played has to be a game called The Realm by Sierra. this is quite old. Pickpocketing(pp) was allowed in town, but if said player got caught the victim would yell guards, and poof they would appear. Now the thief could fight them(which was death no matter what level) or the thief could pay a fine, or spend so many in game hours in jail. Thieves always have their PK turned on. Players with PK off could still attack the thief only they they were caught without affecting their PK status. Once the theif stepped out of town to level up, they were jumped and killed asap.

You could steal anything that was not equiped, and it was totally random. Chance of succus depends on the level of PP and the level of the thief.  Which also determined the punishment when caught by guards. IE the best master thief comes along and tries to pp you in town, he is not 100% successful. No one is. He is taking a huge huge risk in doing this because if caught he would sit in jail for days and days. Because of his level the guards do not give the pay fine option because he could pay them no problem. This makes him think before he acts. Is it worth 4 days in jail just to pickpocket a rusty dagger? Hell no. But the slight chance of stealing your super ultra rare sword you hide in your pack pushes him on. Want it back? chase him down and kill him. Because you were the victim your allowed to kill him in town or where ever with no penalty

No one was able to have anything bad pk pp or the such till they reached a certain level. By this time they(should) know the risks that lurk about.

also stealing from a player more than once was allowed but after the first pp it does not pay because the victim catches on that the reason your standing by him is to rob him. So for the thief to truly succeed he needs to pick and run, otherwise he is doomed

Edit: Being a newbie thief(level 1) is the most difficult thing there is. Your stats are not for killing so leveling up in harsh. No one wants to level a thief up because the class is hated so much. Even other thieves dont trust a thief, because the  #1 reason your a thief is to steal, and no one wants that
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 08:58:30 pm by Animosh »

Razorrudebwoy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Omg
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 04:20:31 pm »
omg that was the best story i ever heard

To defeat my Fears I need to defeat my own self.....

Zellgadess

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:34:54 pm »
The only problem lies is if bob here, after 60 days of harsh adventuring, waiting for the right moment got his \"sword of turing things into potato\'s and what not\" and then you steal it.... mr bob is gonna be rather pissed, sad and anoyed.

\"For You, Death Is But A Minor Invonvenience\"

QuantumG

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
I too am a thief
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 10:13:09 pm »
Stealing stuff is the most fun.. but it\'s more than just pickpocketing.  Players who make it their life\'s work to collect objects in the game and store them in chests around their home a begging to be looted.  It\'s not just that they\'re screwing up the economy (which they are), it\'s that they often refuse to put any effort into guarding their stash.

Tyriel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 10:11:58 am »
and so we... restore the balance in the world.. ;)

okey.. Like I have so many time said in the past.. A game without thieves skills is no medival  rpg at all..

Make these skills so hard to lvl that only the ones who really are worthy of being noble thieves and real role players can pickpocket and lockpick.. cause all the other thief skills wont harm noone.. and you see when these skills are so hard to get.. then does little F****d up minded players who just want to loot and piss off good role playng characters dont even bother to level cause it would just be a waste of time..

and maybe a little rule that you cannot pickpocket a player until lvl 20 or smth.. that gives the advantage that when you are caught the player CAN kill you.. cause when you steal from a newbie.. heck no hes gona kill you.. and that is frustrating..

anyway.. Im a thief in my soul and in my blood.. I have no idea what Im going to do when there will be no thiefing..  

\"back to the shadows\"
\"I have the power to take everything from you.. Including your life\"

Guild for Warriors and Thieves..Guild for adventurers of Strenght and Dexterity-- Portal to our realm http://www.swordofsilence.tk

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 11:35:25 am »
Originally posted by Tyriel
and so we... restore the balance in the world.. ;)

okey.. Like I have so many time said in the past.. A game without thieves skills is no medival  rpg at all..

Make these skills so hard to lvl that only the ones who really are worthy of being noble thieves and real role players can pickpocket and lockpick.. cause all the other thief skills wont harm noone.. and you see when these skills are so hard to get.. then does little F****d up minded players who just want to loot and piss off good role playng characters dont even bother to level cause it would just be a waste of time..

and maybe a little rule that you cannot pickpocket a player until lvl 20 or smth.. that gives the advantage that when you are caught the player CAN kill you.. cause when you steal from a newbie.. heck no hes gona kill you.. and that is frustrating..

anyway.. Im a thief in my soul and in my blood.. I have no idea what Im going to do when there will be no thiefing..  

\"back to the shadows\"

Tyriel, you dirty theif you :D  Don\'t you worry man, theiving will be in place.

how is a role playing game exist without theivery?  I understand simple hack/slash games that don\'t have theivery.   Their goals are simply to level, however, this game is all about character and a way of life.  Hopefully my message will be understood