Author Topic: PVP by controlling the mobs  (Read 1170 times)

gregulate

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PVP by controlling the mobs
« on: August 02, 2004, 05:30:18 pm »
This game is being built in a unique vision so I think the PVP that they allow should be truly unique as well.  My thought is that you should be allowed to play as the monsters as strange as this might sound.

People that don\'t want to PVP still like to hunt monsters.  People that do like to PVP like to kill other people.  So let the PVPers have the option to log in as a monster and fight any people that try to come into that area.  This allows the nonPVPer to fight monsters that won\'t always use the same AI but will be uniquely intelligent (or stupid depending upon the person).

For the PVPer they get the challenge of trying to beat another person and you can implement a reward system for these PVPers.  The reward system that I am thinking of involves the monsters they can choose to play.  At first they would only be able to play very low level monsters but through good fighting they would be able to fight as higher and higher level monsters.

This is just an idea that I have never heard of in another game and I am interested in hearing what others think of the idea and its plausibility.

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 05:38:22 pm »
Wow, another original idea... There aren\'t usually many of those...

But what would happen when/if the monster got killed? Would the monster just appear to die and respawn with 1 hp or some such thing? That is the only thing missing from your idea that I can see...

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

gregulate

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 05:43:23 pm »
I would think that when the monster dies it could respawn as the same type of monster but not necessarily in the same location.  The location that a player monster spawns in shouldn\'t be any different from where that monster type would normally spawn in.

gregulate

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 06:08:38 pm »
Just read through another forum and noticed Derwoodly posted a similar idea.  Guess I wasn\'t as original as I thought

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 07:18:12 pm »
Rats... Well, with things this specific i\'ts hard to make a search that will show everything similar, since most people will have different names for things :P

Perhaps this can turn into a fresh discussion of this and that idea?

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 06:17:23 pm »
Sounds like an interesting plan.  I think that when a monster is killed, it would simply die and the player\'s control would be \"reincarnated\" in another monster (either new or not currently occupied by a player).  

Howerver, monsters are generally set to follow some pattern of behaviour - hopefully setting area limits would be good enough (unless perhaps said monster was engaged in active pursuit).

Also, the danger of people using monsters to further personal vendettas can\'t be overlooked.  Still, I think it has potential as a \"fun\" way of killing people  8)   Perhaps, playing as a dumb monster your knowledge of who you were fighting would be obscured...
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 06:52:57 pm »
I think this is great idea for a mini game, but no
way to solve the pvp concept

Detan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 11:33:14 am »
There are a few holes in this idea. If a person starts out as monster they are gonna get their asses whooped by massive groups of players. And then all the player has to do is roam around a feild harassing players, hoping they are noobs. That would get daunting after awhile. What i would suggest is has a shapeshifter race be introduced into plainshift that can change into monsters (After they have killed them a certain number of times)
and kill players and reap the rewards but they could only warp into a monster every once in a while. The shapeshifter could also level these monster forms. Say the shapeshifter kills 100 spiders. He can now warp into a level 1 spider. If he manages to kill enough adventurers (Or other monsters0 then he\'ll level that form up, but once they player gets killed as a monster there form get\'s knocked down a level. This could be an expansion race that could be introduced long down the road (As it would be hard to implement). Let me know whats you tihnk.

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 03:47:29 am »
hmm that\'s pretty cool idea in general, not necessarily for pvp.

Say, it doesn\'t have to be another race, but let\'s say
there\'s a skill you can develope, Morph or something where if you kill certain number of monsters, you can turn into that monster which will give you your abilities, plus the monster\'s abilities and form and safe journey among the other monsters of that race

Erinys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 02:55:55 pm »
I suppose the monsters can\'t go through loading screens (otherwise you have the problems of getting high lvl monsters hunting noobs in sewers, but then again being a gobble in sewers would be highly rewarding since the noobs can\'t kill that easily, or maybe carckarass (or whatever it\'s called) that comes down and starts killing everyone in DR (and actively pursuing them not randomly hitting)
Erinys Erestir-guildless (active)
Alcyone Aldaval-guildless (retired)
Jerede Nenid-member of Fighters guild (vanished).

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 01:07:37 am »
Thanks Greg for the credit. I dont claim any rights to it, I am just happy to see it pop up again.  In my original post I mentioned that I have seen something like it in other games.

I believe that a lot of the same rules that monsters have now should apply to a player run Mob (mobile). A player playing a Mob would be on a leash and not be allowed to chase players for great distances (or zone).  

My thoughts on leveling would be to let you play higher level Mobs.  you would start out as \"level 1 mob\"  spawn in a popular spot and level after killing a number of players or time played or time fighting or some combination of the three you would level.  Once you leveled you would be allowed to spawn as a higher level mob in a diferent level camp.

There would have to be a lot of rules in order to prevent players from loging in and dying on purpose or killing newbies.  But, it should have some abillity for you to have some \"fun\".   I quote the fun word because I am sure some will think that having fun with Mobs is \"griefing\" other players.  A rule that I like is, you could not see players names above them or speak to them.  If they talk you would see scrambled letters, but not words.  Telling players apart should be near impossible as a mob.  I would even like see your vison changed, As a spider mob your vision would have a fog at a very short distance, and objects would be featureless, so you could not tell different races apart.  To make it fun you might have a hide skill to use to ambush players.  A smart spider would strike, poision, and crawl back, letting the poision do its work.

There are lots of options, whether or not it would work for PS I do not know.