Author Topic: The Logoff issue.  (Read 2648 times)

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
The Logoff issue.
« on: July 19, 2003, 02:23:33 pm »
very much related to PvP, PK, and thieving as well as general gaming.  A player could potentially logoff of the game when things get rough.  And then you have players appearing and disappearing all the time.

This must be dealt with, or a thief may loot and logoff.  The disappearing thief... how impossible to catch.

In everquest they solved this by requiring you to camp before you logoff.  As I detest nearly everything about everquest, I pray we do not mimic this.

Although, preventing logoff at certain times seems important.  Such as when the arm of a thief is being held by its \'mark\'.

Also, just for the purpose of appearance, it would be nice to see a player logoff by walking through a portal he created... instead of simply vanishing.

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 03:13:03 pm »
for once i agree with you very much

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 03:14:35 pm »
when have you not agreed with me?
I\'m very clever. 8)

...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 06:28:05 pm »
Well i don\'t understand your bitterness about EQ, but having some type of mandatory delay before logging off is certainly a requirement.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 03:41:38 am »
I\'m not sure I see the reasoning here.  If you\'re not near enemies, in a duel, or in some other such predicament, why should you have to wait to logoff?

Hopefully the time it takes to cast the \"portal back to boring real life\" spell will be sufficient.  (I\'m thinking 3-5 seconds)

----------------

I could take all day and list all the things wrong with EQ but it would be a waste of time.  It\'s no use trying to convince diehard, brainwashed EQ fans like yourself.  Your opinions are set in stone.  I just can\'t figure out why...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 04:26:15 am by Abemore »

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 08:40:27 am »
indeed lol

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 03:13:33 pm »
you should be able to log off, but everything you looted in the past minute will be dropped if you do that.

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 04:14:04 pm »
why?

spawnman

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 09:24:38 pm »
Why?

Because if they have to wait before they log off then the person that they stole from can come and get them, assuming that you can kill theives.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 09:24:56 pm by spawnman »

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 12:01:33 am »
Originally posted by Abemore
If you\'re not near enemies, in a duel, or in some other such predicament, why should you have to wait to logoff?

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 05:46:49 am »
no one knows :P it\'s not like the game clears its memory usage in the logoff...

Why indeed, should there be a delay for logoff when not in any predicament such as combat? Doesn\'t really make any sense, but all 3d mmorpg\'s I\'ve played has had a delay..

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 01:46:09 pm »
Project Entropia does not control the logoff issue at all, and it is abused.

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 10:18:28 pm »
Originally posted by Axsyrus
you should be able to log off, but everything you looted in the past minute will be dropped if you do that.

not the best idea... what about on disconnects?  will this happen then as well?  That would not be fun at all.

A delay is needed though -not really sure how to prevent the \'logoff\' problem though - maybe if there are no bonuses for logging off... such as you always relog where you were and you have the exact same hp and status - any problems with that?  Besides the \'thief\' problem? (although not including PvP pickpocketing would blow that problem out of the water)

Commando

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 07:17:31 am »
I really like the portal way to log out. Just wanted to tell everybody..
Commando R-I-P

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2003, 11:04:35 am »
I like the portals, but disconnecting and logging off should be seperated. Maybe the game could have a background application as well, which sends signals out to the server. If both the background application and the game stopped sending signals at the same time, the server would recognise it as a disconnect and the character would be instantly removed from the game. If the game but not the app stopped, it would be a log off and the character would maybe be left in the game for 30 seconds.

This wouldn\'t penalise them if they weren\'t in danger, but would if they log off to escape from something.