Author Topic: The Logoff issue.  (Read 2647 times)

varsity

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2003, 08:04:09 pm »
But wouldnt you be able to bypass this by just Hard shut down (just turning off your comp) ?  

Maybe they should just leave your char in the game for maybe 30-60 seconds anyways...  They dont need you to lose your items, but this way if you were logging out after looting/stealing or in PvP they could be able to kill you.  Hmmm, but if you were disconnected... well, i guess its just bad luck then...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 08:05:05 pm by varsity »

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2003, 02:17:40 pm »
Well let\'s say you can\'t log off for thirty seconds after doing actions like thieving, fighting etc. As for shutting down your computer, I guess some people could if they wanted to risk corrupting their c drive and having to wait for boring bluescreen scandisk. It\'s the bhest solution I could think of.

ampathy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2003, 05:53:57 am »
But wouldnt you be able to bypass this by just Hard shut down (just turning off your comp) ?

it would be a lot easier than that - just disconnect from the internet w/o closing PS

i guess the best solution is to have the 10second timelimit after combat etc.. like pwnscape does.

but, unlike chewnscape.. it would be nice if you could click \"logout\" and instead of just having a \"can\'t logout yet\" message, you would get a little countdown timer which would autologout after the timelimit ran out (unless you cancelled).

oh yeah, i LOVE the idea of logout animations - portals, puffs of smoke, bring it on :)
also log-IN stuff would be nice - stepping out of the portal, or whatever
I was predestined to some awful doom.

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2003, 12:58:57 pm »
Wow... A topic in this board that hasn\'t been said 10,000 times or more!
Anyway, I like the countdown timer thing. And as for disconnects, if you couldn\'t normally log off, your char stays online just standing there until you would be able to log off normally.

ampathy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2003, 02:18:02 am »
And as for disconnects, if you couldn\'t normally log off, your char stays online just standing there until you would be able to log off normally.

kinda unfair if you *accidentally* get cut off in the middle of a battle.. 10 seconds of monsters slashing you up with you just standing there.. not pretty :P

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2003, 11:43:46 am »
This is a difficult issue, in most cases we would want the character to defend its self but not always. Auto running away is not an option. Cause we might sends you from the pot into the fire, and lastly instant log off?
Um so if I am about to die, I just pull my network cable, or deactivate my network connection? :-)

It is one of the oldest network game exploits there is for these types of games?not happening.
-Paxx

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2003, 06:21:09 am »
Abemore,
That I hate EQ thing belongs in the EQ sux post! :)

I have not been in the PS game for a while.  As I remember you always start the game at the fountain.  If this is kept then logging would be a shortcut to town, or a huge pain when you go linkdead.

ampathy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2003, 01:24:40 am »
you don\'t always start at the fountain [statue], you just /spawn there
you login where you loggedout :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 01:25:01 am by ampathy »

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2003, 10:30:47 pm »
Originally posted by ampathy
And as for disconnects, if you couldn\'t normally log off, your char stays online just standing there until you would be able to log off normally.

kinda unfair if you *accidentally* get cut off in the middle of a battle.. 10 seconds of monsters slashing you up with you just standing there.. not pretty :P

Will there be any sort of auto-attack?

Goji

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2003, 03:33:40 am »
A good way to solve this problem is, as peeps have mentioned before, portaling off.  The portaling would allow you to still be hit by a PK or somesuch in time if they were actually going to kill you.  A 4-6 second latency is definately long enough. but logging on, you would log in the same spot with the same health/mana/stamina as when you left.  This latency would also apply to disconnects.  Now, as for looting (if you were killed in log-off) you should have access to your corpse for 10 min., then anyone is able to access it.  But in cases of theivery, it may be worthwhile to put id tags on items, so when they are lifted off a person, and that person is then killed in log-off or such, the person who just killed/robbed has access to that corpse too.
~~Power is the Bane of Human Existance.  Why then do we crave it so?~~

Commando

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2003, 09:37:30 am »
The server system doesn\'t fell when a client \"hard-disconnect\" (pull out network cable) cuz they are using UDP and so called Heart beat. Wouldn\'t that mean the charter stands still, and can be damaged? If not, just implent that in the server. I hope you understand me :D
Commando R-I-P

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2003, 05:08:08 pm »
Yes, sth needs to be done about it. Soon.
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Xelon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
i like the portalling idea...

but if people do this arn\'t they likely to do it again. So you could somehow add tag to them if you found out who it was. if they were repeat offenders then it is unlikely that they were disconnected every time. and maybe take away some of their stats if they are found out aswell?
the man with the invisible sig picture

Goji

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 11:07:53 pm »
thats not fair to those with crappy computers.  Say their computer regularly crashes... yes it would be gay, but that is something they can\'t help.  It is not fair to penalize someone when they\'re allready penalized by haveing a laggy computer =)
~~Power is the Bane of Human Existance.  Why then do we crave it so?~~

Xelon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2003, 03:04:05 pm »
but as far as my knowledge goes im guessing most players have pretty high end pcs so crashing isnt too much of and issue.... but yeah i see you point but you can\'t always please everyone.
the man with the invisible sig picture