Author Topic: Abemore's Alternative to PK (and playground rules)  (Read 2839 times)

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Abemore's Alternative to PK (and playground rules)
« on: July 22, 2003, 03:47:47 am »
Summary
This is an idea that should allow players all the joy\'s of PK\'ing with none of the grief cause by actual PK\'ing.  

Philosophy
Let me start by saying, the main characters in a movie or book or any story never die.  They can be badly beaten, but because they are the main characters, they cannot be killed.  In a MMORPG every player is a main character.  So every player must survive till the end of the story.

Proposal
That being said, I propose that no player character be killed ever.  Wait, it\'s not as crazy as it sounds.  It can work.  Here\'s how...

• In place of death would be being beaten to a bloody pulp.  There would be no loss of items, or instant respawn.  You would just lay on the ground bleeding.  
  • At this point you are as good as dead.  Herbs and potions will do you no good as they can only heal minor wounds.
  • If you have mage friends, a powerful circle magic spell can be used to \"revive\" you.  If not, you must crawl or be carried by a friend back to a town where you can be healed.
  • In this state, you must speak slowly and cannot shout.  You are nearly dead, so you must act like it.  This can serve as a fitting punishment for verbally abusive players.
  • Your body cannot be looted because you are still alive and can still grab the arm of a thief.
  • This would leave zero incentive for random PK\'ing.
Possible Modifications
Maybe players can run out of blood after a certain amount of lying on the ground bleeding.  This would allow the death quest I seem to remember reading about.

(Semi-)Final Thoughts
It is still inconvenient to be beaten to a bloody pulp.  
Grief still exists when more powerful players lay the unprovoked smackdown on less powerful players.  
Hmm... so... it is the randomness of the attack that is the problem.... yet there is no way to determine whether an attack is random or provoked...
.........................eurika!  I\'ve got it! Playground rules!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: Playground Rules are flawed like every other system.  Please disregard.
Playground Rules
The same rules used on the playground of your grade school.

• We start with no open/random attacking.  You must first establish yourself as the aggressor before you can attack another player.
  • You do this by \"pushing\" them :)
  • After you push them, you become the aggressor and can be attacked by anyone for a short time.  
  • You must also wait a short time before you can follow up that push with an actual attack.
  • The one you pushed must then choose to stay and fight or run.
  • Anytime you push or attack someone you become an aggressor for a short time.
  • Aggressors can be attacked by anyone.  (That means things can get messy real fast in a gang scenario.)
Whew... let me know if anyone sees problems with any of this.  It so far looks pretty solid to me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 11:48:47 pm by Abemore »

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 01:06:43 pm »
So when your lieing there will your health regenerate very slowly at least? because if you dont have potions or anyone with you it might take a while till someone comes around

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 01:08:20 pm »
no, your health does not regenerate.  you are as good as dead at this point
if no one comes to help, you must crawl back to town on your own.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 01:09:11 pm by Abemore »

...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 01:10:15 pm »
lol i actually like that idea good job i think they should actually make it like that even though it would take hours to get to a city but you will probly come across someone while crawling back.

zaphar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 06:18:26 pm »
your pushing concept is not too far different from dueling with the exception that once you do it your vulnerable from anyone.

just a few questions though. would both be vulnerable or only the aggressor?
if you pushed me and I elected to fight would I be vulnerable to othe attackers or just you?
*Zaphar grins roguishly as he exits the post

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 07:05:20 pm »
i think he meens the first person that starts the fight wich is the first person that pushes.

druke

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 09:35:27 pm »
do you mean the death quest i made or something?

edit: http://www.planeshift3d.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=3563&boardid=13  the one in that post?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 09:41:33 pm by druke »

my how times have changed.....

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 11:19:19 pm »
zaphar, if you elect to fight the aggressor that pushed you, you too would become an aggressor and be vulnerable to other attackers for a short time.  Anyone who attacks becomes an aggressor.  Which means it might be smart to not fight sometimes.

druke, no.  a death quest was mentioned long ago.  It had something to do with completing a quest after you die, and meeting a god of some kind at the end where you choose to be returned to the spot you died, or to the nearest temple.

edit:
zaphar, the more I think about it, the more I think you\'re right.  The Playground Rules are very much like dueling.  As I think further... what\'s to stop a wannabe PK\'er from pushing someone then chasing them down and killing them?  Looks like nothing.  So I\'m throwing out the Playground Rules.  They are flawed like every other system.  Best just stick with PvP dueling.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 11:49:37 pm by Abemore »

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 12:25:50 am »
well, it\'s ok system, but verbal abuse can happen in city as well, well actually it have more chance of happenning in city because theres more people running around cities.  so whats the solution there?

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 01:02:55 am »
i dont know the solution.
it\'s a paradox.

To give ppl the power to silence the verbally abusive is to give them the power to PK anyone.

zaphar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 09:03:09 am »
Dueling is an extremely elegant solution to PK\'ing.

I really don\'t see why there is so much resistance to the idea. I do like the \"Playground Rules idea for dueling\" instead of calling it duel request its called a push. For instance your in a bar minding your own business. A Diabolo comes in looks at you and says \"your in my seat\". You say \"I didn\'t see no sign\" the verbal play goes back and forth for a while till the Diabolo pushes you. He hits the \"duel button\" so a duel request is sent out. Everyone in the bar sees the words has pushed . Suddenly the bar gets quiet. Everyone looks to see what you will do. Will you back down or will you rise to the challenge.

Basically this gives a rep hit for cowards who avoid PK at all cost no matter what and also a rep hit for bullies who consistently attempt PK\'s on weaker opponents. Everyone knows when a duel/Push/shove is started. So everyone knows who is the coward/bully/hero for defending his honor.

this removes the unreality of a duel request that only the two see and gives opportunity for role play inside of the PK Duelling system.

I have played in open PK games before and I don\'t care how good anyone elses experiences have been. All it takes is that first time when a Character 10 levels over you attacks and kills you hunts you down again and does it all over again and again and again until you log off in disgust because you obviously aren\'t going to get to play. That is the part you want to avoid and that is the part that SOMEONE out there will do if given even the slightest chance in an open PK system.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 04:54:02 pm »
Originally posted by zaphar
this removes the unreality of a duel request that only the two see and gives opportunity for role play inside of the PK Duelling system.
This sounds like a great feature.  I shall officially request it for us.

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 12:19:00 am »
yeah, I like it as well.  But your example is harsh, what if you are a really weak beginner and the person who pushed you is a strong guy, and you know that you are weak, but it doesn\'t mean you are a coward, so you refuse to fight, but in the eyes of the public and eventually your own eyes you will be coward.  Ahh, maybe this is irrelevant and the minute this guy asks you, you just get up and move to another seat. :)

zaphar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 12:51:19 am »
ahhh but in the case of weaker vs stronger the stronger will be seen as a bully rather than the weaker as a coward.

Plus the weaker guy can bring a friend of greater strength to exact revenge for his getting pushed.

Typies

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 10:29:44 pm »
can you only be beaten to a bloody pulp by another player? Or can monsters not kill you either? if so after being beten in a fight by a monster i dont think the monster is gonna let you gust crawl away, and if it does, another monster would probaly find you and eat your head. And i dont think youcolud recover from that.

i dont ike the idea of liying in a bed for hours waiting to recover.