Author Topic: "Finish Him!!!"  (Read 1392 times)

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
"Finish Him!!!"
« on: January 13, 2004, 12:24:27 am »
Why, oh why, is PvP combat so often and easily fought to the death?  

Getting a little inspiration from the arcade classic Mortal Kombat, we can see that fighters do not die so easily.  Only when one fighter deals the finishing blow is the other fighter killed (otherwise, he/she just falls down in exhaustion).  

I propose something similar for Planeshift.  Because killing is illegal, or frowned upon in PS, many may not want to engage in the act (due to the negative side effects, perhaps?).  Instead they can enjoy fighting to a non-permanent, non-lethal end.  

However, just like Mortal Kombat, a fighter in PS can elect to implement a finishing blow (if he/she is bent on killing the other).  Many statistics can be factored into the equation that governs the success of the killing strike (such as stealth, whether a player is conscience, etc.).  A killing strike can be attempted at any time, but there is a high chance of failing and being killed yourself.  A failed lethal strike leaves a player open to be killed for free in self defense.

Any potential reward gained from the PK is balanced by the high risk of losing your own life.

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Quwaar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 11:55:42 am »
thats a nice idea. A finishing blow, or not. So no one sould fight against evil charecters. ;)

Its a good idea, but Im affraid it will have to much negative effects on the fighting or not. BUt I like the idea, but evil characters wont coz they would never fight.

Though I just came up with the idea, you cant see if someone is evil or not. So its a great idea.
Smile... Tomorrow will be worse

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 09:46:01 pm »
I dont like it. Anti Pker will still scream and moan that this doesnt stop pkers at all. They will just use a finishing move. i think that when 2 people fight that the gods intervine and revive who ever dies. Exp would still be gained by the winnner of course..

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 01:20:55 am »
Maybe I did not explain it clearly.  Here\'s an example:

Mr. Target is standing there, minding his own business.
An assassin sneaks up behind him and delivers a fatal strike.
Unless the assassins stats far exceed those of Mr. Target, the attack will fail, and Mr. Target will grab him then decide to instantly kill him free of charge, or threaten to kill him and let him go.

You see kids, the moral of the story is that killing is not without concequences.  You\'re not assassinating Gary the milkman, you\'re assassinating another battle hardened hero much like yourself.  And he/she doesn\'t fall so easy.

As I said, many stats and other info can come into play when deciding if a fatal strike should succeed.

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

snow_RAveN

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 09:31:43 am »
NO Usually when some assains try to kill some HAlf-wit in any movie there will be at least 6 people backing the guy up and then when we goes for the kill ! POW ! the guy punches the assasain in the face then his buddies all pop out and start doing 1 on 1s with the guy

usually theres no remorse for the killer unless the half-wit\'s a guy and the killer is a gal ( lousy 3rd-grade movies)

any way nice idea
Originally posted by DepthBlade
I am not as good as you with posting totally random pointless things that neither are relative or make any sense.

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 09:37:18 am »
It is a legacy of the genre.

In fantasy you generally kill your opponents. And since we do not have anything good concepts to balance ?capture and secure? or ?let him get up and whack him again?. Death and resurrection are easier to place in the fantasy genre. While KO would be valid in a super hero genre.
-Paxx

emmaya

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 03:26:00 pm »
hi I am new here.

I found the \"finish him\" concept to be really interesting as a way to implement unarmed figthing. If technically possible, of course.

Why not put the PC into a \"inconscious\" state (something like a sleeping animation), where you can rigth-click on and with an option \"finish him\" (as well as \"rob him\") ? I think it would be really easier than an option during the very figth.
   We can too make the body transportable (treating it as an object). Could be really funny, you could then put him in jail where he would awake, or let him in the street where anyone could rob and/or kill him... The state would be temporary, of course, and would begin at 0- fatigue point.

What about awake alone in the street, under a junk pile, after a figth in a gloomy tavern ;)

it was just a personnal idea. I think it quite easy to program, too.
    please excuse my bad english.
Emma emma emmae, emmaemmaya! (some band which I forgot the      
name)

Emmae did it.

Fextina

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 08:39:29 pm »
I don\'t like this idea, PS is an RPG game, not Arcade.

We don\'t even have a game yet.

i-matrixx

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 05:04:57 am »
I?ve already played some MMORPG?s (e.g. from Ultima Online to DAoC). PvP Combat should be seperated from the normal \"everyday life\" like in Dark age of Camelot. Sure PvP should be a part in every MMORPG but nobody should be forced to be part of it.

Give PvP a higher level interest e.g. fighing for a castle, magical item?s, naval battle in a seperated area where PvP is allowed and a part of the MMORPG instead of simply walking through the world and killing people.  Is it clear what I want to say?

Any guys here who have played DAoC?

Greetings,

Ingo

ShadowSoul

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 02:24:39 pm »
I agree with you, ingo
I\'ve heard something about DAoC but never played: I only know somoeone that plays
Allowing free pvpping is not a good idea i think

Gamemaster

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 07:57:01 am »
I think the \"finishing blow\" is perfect!!!

Silverblod

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 09:07:43 pm »
The finishing blow move sounds like the death blow move in SWG.

Through either consent PvP, temp faction flag PvP, or guild (PA, player association) war PvP, there was the option after incap\'ing a player where the victor could choose to DB (death blow) the downed victim or just walk away.

There was value in doing either. In a consent PvP players could freely test their abilities against each other with an \"honor\" word of no DB. Again, on the other side if a player said no DB and then executed the move after incap\'ing his victim, well the community even is SWG is small and word of the \"lack of honor\" spread quick and people got to know who they could trust in consent PvP and who they could not trust.

The other two types of PvP, temp flag ( faction based ) or the PA wars sort of left the DB issue up to the winner. There were players who would DB every chance they got and these players were hunted by other players either solo or by groups. There were also the players that found no gain in DB\'ing. The incap was the win. Stand over the body take a screen shot, for your personal photo collection and move on to the next battle.

The only draw back to PA ( guild ) wars is that if there are non combatant classes, these players will be hunted by the other PA and with no viable way to defend themselves find life very frustrating...

I\'m not pro PvP nor anti PvP. But the system in place has to guard against grief players that WILL skirt the spirit of the game allowing them to sour the experience for others.

*drops his head and gets off his soap box....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 09:08:27 pm by Silverblod »

-=Skyy=-

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 04:56:20 pm »
Originally posted by whemyfield
I dont like it. Anti Pker will still scream and moan that this doesnt stop pkers at all. They will just use a finishing move. i think that when 2 people fight that the gods intervine and revive who ever dies. Exp would still be gained by the winnner of course..

why has no one thought of fining Pkers or puting ian  court system, IE:
Harry the dwarf really hates Steve the elf, (Steve stole his girl) and wants to see him dead. So he takes his case before the judiciary commity IE a  judge, PC or NPC (though PC would likely be better for RP purposes) and states his case, a set of guidelines would be used to determine if Harry the dwarfs case is strong enough to warrant a  \"murder Licence\" (or whatever ya want to think of it as.) an item he has to carry on his person that allows him to attack and Kill Steve the elf for his crime. NO warrant no PK, just a beating...

-=Skyy=-
as an after thought,I\'ve seean  lot of great ideas and a lot for eally lame ones, hell mine may be lame to some people. but theres one overwhelming problem with all of them...they\'d all take HUGE HUGE amounts of honest dedication.! and trust that the people in power positions woudn\'t abuse those powers for freinds PCs..taht is a magor magor concern..soemthing I learned for AO. Ark friends are godly...*wonders why* <-Sarcasm anyone?

-=Skyy=-

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 04:58:05 pm »
Originally posted by i-matrixx
I?ve already played some MMORPG?s (e.g. from Ultima Online to DAoC). PvP Combat should be seperated from the normal \"everyday life\" like in Dark age of Camelot. Sure PvP should be a part in every MMORPG but nobody should be forced to be part of it.

Give PvP a higher level interest e.g. fighing for a castle, magical item?s, naval battle in a seperated area where PvP is allowed and a part of the MMORPG instead of simply walking through the world and killing people.  Is it clear what I want to say?

Any guys here who have played DAoC?

Greetings,

Ingo

that brings upa  good point, who in there right mind regardless of setting just wanders around slaying anyone in there path for no reason..this is an RPG ROLE PLAYING. not a FPS...someday folks\'ll learn that, i hope