Author Topic: Weapons Repair  (Read 2101 times)

Ulfer

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sovereign, The Bloodstone Brethren
    • View Profile
Weapons Repair
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:47:34 pm »
I was thinking, what can be done to weapons? I've mentioned about dueling and how that can improve, in my opinion... http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32718.0 (link dropper!) but what about crafting and repair? I briefly talked about faster quality degrading and touched upon weapon repair... which lead me to this idea.

What about if weapon repair could actually, fail? When repairing your weapon you could actually worsen the blade, and I'm not just talking about the quality, no, but worsening the weapon itself... "ruining it." Why not have a success/failure roll based on weapon repair skill? When a roll is failed the weapon is "ruined" (e.g finest ruined short sword) and it's damage type is worsened as well as any default quality depletion of the current repair process. Again, it makes the process more realistic... if you're bad or not so good at something, you're bound to mess up from time to time!

This would make weapon repair more important to train, perhaps even open up a new trade in repairs, also keeping the crafters in business and the demand for crafted weaponry that much more... it's not a 100% fix but I feel a step in the right direction in solving the issue. The issue being the lack of need in crafters due to crafted weapons taking forever to degrade.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:56:36 pm by Ulfer »

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Weapons Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:50:33 am »
this sounds like a good idea make a feature request on the bug tracker and we can get the devs to take a look at it.

whiteout506

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:43:05 pm »
You're totally right, but remember. we don't want the game to be TOO much like WoW.  An idea i had for skills like this is to have it like a minigame, where you heat your sword till it's malleable and then have a timing-based little game where hammering the sword too much or too little (to prevent mastery, make it a RNG for the perfect amount) will worsen the blade, but if you're closer to the "sweet spot" it either stays the same or gains small bonuses for a period of time

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:01:03 pm »
turning it into a mini game changes it from character skill lvl based to simply player skill based, the latter of the those two the devs have generally tried to avoid as much as possible.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 12:21:47 am »
I have always liked the idea of more interaction with character abilities. Make it a half way thing. If a character has the ability to repair/craft/whatever something in 5-7 minutes to a quality of 85-100%, then give the player the option of giving the character a bit more 'focus' in the task by taking part directly in the process with the 'minigame'. If they suck, then it would finish closer to the 7 minutes and 85%. Doing well would bring the time down and % up, but never exceeding the 5 minute minimum. For people not good at 'minigames' put in an auto that would be no different than now. Click, wait, done with an random, average time.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:10:47 am »
I concur with UTM.  You can be both the highest skilled miner in the game and a lazy-ass, and being highly skilled isn't going to mean a whole lot.  It's not like you're skilled enough that the ore is going to jump out of the hill for you while you sit back and drink beer, because no matter what you still have to put some effort into your work.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 02:10:07 am »
True, there is no 'effort' or 'drive' skills yet. Those come from players.

Ulfer

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sovereign, The Bloodstone Brethren
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 04:17:38 am »
You're totally right, but remember. we don't want the game to be TOO much like WoW.

I have not and will not, ever, play WoW.

I don't like this 'mini-game' idea... it's a gimmick, and overcomplicates an otherwise much simpler solution... way to "arcade-like" for my liking...

Aiwendil

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 04:25:10 am »

I have not and will not, ever, play WoW.

I don't like this 'mini-game' idea... it's a gimmick, and overcomplicates an otherwise much simpler solution... way to "arcade-like" for my liking...

I have to agree to everything Ulfer said here ;)

Velh Krome

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:09:22 am »
Is this already feature-requested on the bugtracker?

[..]also keeping the crafters in business and the demand for crafted weaponry that much more[..]
I like this idea, and second it. Although I could imagine some hassle in the beginning of finding an acceptable balance between success and fail for untrained chars.

With Minigames I dont think this would have much anything in common. Just a dice rolled internally, based on your level, and System tab would show you the result.

Velh Krome

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 08:23:59 am »
http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=2056
FS#2056 - Client crashing on PPC Mac when loading OjaRoad2
Glad however to see this bug is worked on too

The correct link would be this: http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=2047

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 10:39:50 am »
http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=2056
FS#2056 - Client crashing on PPC Mac when loading OjaRoad2
Glad however to see this bug is worked on too

The correct link would be this: http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=2047

opps i guess  my copy paste does not work as well as expected :P try to debug it for me

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 04:00:22 pm »
I have to agree to everything Ulfer said here ;)

For yourself, yes, that is fine. I don't happen to like clicking on something and staring as my character does actions. That is why you make it optional. Do or do not. Manual or automatic. Not everyone likes to play the same way.

Aiwendil

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 01:51:14 am »
That is why you make it optional. Do or do not. Manual or automatic. Not everyone likes to play the same way.

I surely wouldn't have a problem with optional mini games. As long as there isn't a too great disadvantage in not using them.

For yourself, yes, that is fine.

I can only speak for myself ;). I don't want to convince anyone of my opinion, just want to say it. Yes, everyone wants to play the game a bit diffrent and that's fine. And if we come up with a solution which satisfies everyone, I think the discusson was worth it.