Author Topic: Argutae's Saga  (Read 1460 times)

Argutae

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Argutae's Saga
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:35:57 pm »
Hello, I'm a new player (I've been waiting a week for my game account to be verified Verified now, removed posts replying to this- Weavers... so I thought I'd get to know the community, and it looks like this section is right up my alley, so I'll introduce my character. Please bear in mind that I've not played the game yet, but I've looked through the website relatively thouroughly, so I know some things and do not know others. If things are incorrect please tell me and please give me your thoughts  :D. Here I go!

Argutae's raven hair erupted through the water's surface. In one elegant movement his hair was filpped back so now it layed across his back, revealing his face. Like all Nolthrir he had long, defined cheek bones, and soft yet angular features. His skin was a light blue, the color of a perfect, still pond, and his eyes, slanted ever so slightly, were an icey steel blue.

He shifted his weight until he was floating on his back. He closed his eyes and immersed his mind, as he had his body not moments ago, in the weightless serenity of being suspended by the lake. Around him jets of water shot up, cascading down apon him at the top. He reached again for magic and delved into the glyphs around his waist. Glimmers of light played up the fountains and back down again. Multitudes of color writhing in fabulous displays.

"Argutae! Are you doing that?!"
Startled Argutae jerked upright and looked around. The water splashed around him, released from the grip of his mind and the lights flashed. Argutae picked out a small figure standing on the shore of the lake.
"Loden you startled me!" he exlaimed. Now swimming toward him was an elven boy of eight years. His face was the same as Argutae's and his skin was green, though his hair, unusually, was blonde, like a Dermorian elf's. His eyes were a cloudy grey. This tips of his pointed ears partially parted his golden hair.
"Sorry." he giggled, "You're just so good!"
"At what? Magic?" he asked. the boy nodded.
"You're the only sage in our clan! When are you gonna teach me?"
"In two years when your old enough." The boy pouted in response.
"Come on, let's go back to the village eh?" Argutae asked. Though still trying to maintain defiance the boy nodded, a smile showing through.
"I'll race you!" he shouted, then was gone, barley disturbing the surface.

Summoning the winds Argutae held out his hand. His tunic (only considered so to a Nolthrir as all it was was sleeves and a part that covered his back between the shoulder blades. It was black to match the  garment about his waist and made of a slick, water-proof material that was actually a type of seaweed) and satchel flew into his open hand. Then he too descended into the lake.

The boy wants a lesson he thought. Again he called on the glyphs. He shot forward, propelled by torrents of water. Soon he was well past the small figure of Loden.
When Loden finally caught up Argutae was floating idly in front of a cluster of houses resembling shells and marine flora.
"A few seconds sooner this time!" Argutae said bringing a webbed hand through the boy's dancing damp hair in a motion meant to resemble ruffling it.
"That's no fair! You cheated again!"
"You always forget to define any rules; you declare the challenge, you have to set rules buddy!" he laughed.

In reality they weren't talking, as is the way of the elves they projected their thoughts for all to hear about them. Loden kicked forward into the village. In his blithe he didn't notice that... the village was empty. Only after they had ventured a ways in did Argutae notice.

"I wonder: is everyone indoors?" he wondered around. "They may have remembered last time you and I returned from the villages above Loden. Do you recall? I let you borrow a blue glyph and you shot forward so quickly you destroyed the general store!" he laughed to himself, but by himself.
"Loden?" Argutae looked around him. Something felt strange. In front of him was a pink house shaped like a spiraling shell. To his side was the endless abyss of murky blue. He waved his hand over and azure glyph on his belt and searched about him with his mind. He was not alone.

His staff was in his hand in an instant.
"Loden!" he called urgently. In response came a shreik. Argutae felt the violent presence before he saw it. He turned to see a great fish. On its back was a great, curved dorsal fin, and all its fins were curved in the same sinister fashion. Its nose was pointed like the bow of a boat and its eyes were a piercing red.
 In its mouth struggled Loden, caught between jagged teeth.
Argutae swore

The beast turned to face him and snarled deep in its throat like a great cat. It made a lunge.
As quick as one can think let me be somewhere else Argutae's form burst into glassy shards of light. He reappeared behind the fish.
His spell book in one hand and his staff in the other he belted a spell. Tendrils of water froze like fingers and formed around the beast's girth, which led back to the red gem of Argutae's staff. The monster thrashed violently.
"Release the boy!" he commanded. It merely trashed and groaned, gritting its teeth. Loden screamed in agony, and crimson cloud rose around him.

"Then die!" Lightning rushed through the ice, shattering them. Finally it roared, opening its mouth. When the light faded, the last jolts dissapated Argutae swam over to the mass. Its eyes were open though clouded and dim. It had deep scars across its back and shards of ice stuck into it. Argutae swam around to the mouth and saw Loden convulsing on the sandy ground. Deep gashes  were all around his left leg and back.

"Loden!" he pleaded, "Can you talk to me?" the boy merely cringed and cried out. Argutae nodded. He passed his hand over a crystal glyph then over the wounds from which whisps of red still came. Light eminated from his finger tips adn bathed the gashes. They began to contract until they were gone. Finally Loden inhaled. He opened his grey eyes and coughed. Argutae gathered the child in his arms.

"Can you swim?" he asked. He held one of the boy's ankles and stretched out his leg, slowly and gently. He gitted his teeth in pain.
"Alright, alright." Argutae searched with his mind again. In retrospect it had been foolish of him not to search the village when he first felt the imposing alien presence, but he had backed away. The past was the past, he decided. It couldn't be undone now.

When it was done... he wept.

Argutae limped through the muddy shores of the lake. He wove around the green reeds that poked from the black amalamation of mud and water. Finally he set the child in his arms down on the dry soil then fell down beside him. He felt cold and limp from despair. Every house had been empty, empty of conciousness. All the remained were bones and bloody scraps of cloth and desacrated corpse. He lay in the filth and wept silently. His sobs were violent but he took care not to make a sound.

After a while when his tears had stopped he sat up and looked out across the surface of the rippling lake. His village had been on a ledge between the seventh and eighth level of Yliakum. How an entire village could be wiped out in less than fourty-eight hours did not shock him. Argutae was disgusted, but not shocked, he had witnessed such things before. Though something puzzled him. No. Puzzled was not the right word. Frightened him. He felt uneasy. He had never seen a fish such as that in the lake before. Smalller fish that resembled it lived in the mud banks of the lakes shore, though even Loden could call them small. It's presence frightened him.

"Argutae? Why are we back in the air?" Loden asked. He had woken up, "Why aren't we in the village?"
Argutae paused. "There is no village to return to..."
"But," he sat upright, "the houses were all there! Everything was there! What do you mean?!" Argutae knelt beside him and smoothed the boy's hair from his face.
"Everyone is dead." he said at last, "That fish killed everyone." then he held the child close to muffle the anguished shrieks. After a while he began to weep. Then that too subsided.

"Where will we go now?" he asked. Argutae was already up. From under a rock he retrieved a chest. From it he prodhced a pack that fastened around his hip, a whip, and a rapier. As well as a satchel and a dagger. The latter he gave to Loden, the former he began to strap onto himself.
"Do you remember the city we go to to meet the merchents?" he asked the boy. Loden nodded.
"We'll need to go back to Hydlaa." he said, "I have some friends there." with that he placed his forefinger and thumb between his lips and whistled sharply. The sound echoed in the cavern for a moment before it was answered by a shrill shriek.

Down from the spiraling, open top of the cavern, from one of the many caves that lpenetrate that walls soared a Megera. It was enormous as any, but not as ferral. In fact its eyes were wide adn its face smooth of most wrinkles that covered bats faces and friendly. Most striking of all, however, was it's black fur had a blue luster to it.

As the creature landed Loden recoiled. Using the forearm like wings as legs it bounded to Arguate and began licking his face. Between laughs he said:

"This Loden, is Bizurra. He is a companion of mine, and we'll be riding him up a few levels."
At first Loden protested, but Argutae lifted him on the bat's back anyway. Bizzura gave something of a screech of delight before rearing back (much to Loden's discomfort) and takeing off. After a time of silence Loden spoke.

"What will we do once we reach the city?" he asked.
"The presence of the creature that attaked you must be told. Someone will help us," he looked down into the bright, wide eyes of the child and smiled, "don't worry little one. We'll find help. It will all be over very soon."

Loden smiled and was rocked to sleep by the movements of Bizurra beneath him, though Argutae stayed awake. He didn't know that what he had just said couldn't be farther from the truth.

Ok I know, sketchy start, but it'll get better. I really couldn't think of a good beginning for a series like this, and I've not had any experience with this game, but as I progress I'll get immersed in the story and it iwll improve. I propmise. Anyone actually want more?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:49:05 am by Weavers »

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Argutae's Saga
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:13:42 am »
It's always good to see new players creating stories. There's one point I find slightly disturbing, though. Do you know how many villages have been wiped out by players so far? I am sure it exceeds the true number of villages by more then twice their number ;)

Argutae

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:31:44 pm »
It's always good to see new players creating stories. There's one point I find slightly disturbing, though. Do you know how many villages have been wiped out by players so far? I am sure it exceeds the true number of villages by more then twice their number ;)

Are you saying the number of towns that have already been destroyed is disturbing or is that a completely different thought and something else in the story is disturbing?

Argutae

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »
[You have mail.]

hahaha, yes I do :D! Thanks, though, between you and me: is there any detail in the game yet? Everything was splashy clay figures and everything ran very slowly indeed. Of course the server did shut down soon after the creation of my character, so that may have something to do with it.

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 04:53:48 pm »
[You have mail.]

hahaha, yes I do :D! Thanks, though, between you and me: is there any detail in the game yet? Everything was splashy clay figures and everything ran very slowly indeed. Of course the server did shut down soon after the creation of my character, so that may have something to do with it.

Detail yes - your graphic issues could be caused by a variety of things - you want to update your drivers - run the updater for PS etc.... and then check the forums related to your OS and see what others have had to say. Or post more details about your system in a forum category as to not distract from your story. :)

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 09:14:42 am »
I am saying that the number of towns destroyed is disturbing. Nearly everyone comes from a town where he was of the few survivors :P
* Donari Tyndale votes for a happy character childhood.

Argutae

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:26:25 pm »
knock, knock.......

"Will-o-wisp and eye of newt I cast into a flame. Beware: it shall destroy your soul if I do not recognize thine name..."

"Snuff it out oh gypsie lass, I am a friend of old. Your flame shall not burn me, for low and behold:
Argutae"

....The wooden door creaked open, ever so slowly, accompanied by the squeak of the protesting timbers. A wavering light cast by a single torch danced across the mud wall in the black of night. Outside the small hut stood a tall figure cloaked in lustrious blue. All around were tall clustered buildings, the windows dark for the night. Only and elf could detect the stirrings of the night that echoed in the alleys. The air was filled with the acrid, burnt smell of smoke, and bodily biproduct.
Then with one sweeping movement, like a wraith the figure was gone into the hut. Though the way he moved it appeared moreso that the black doorway swallowed him.

Argutae brushed the hood from his face. He turned a protrusion on the broach, composed of many gems, and the arms clasping the cloak released. The cloak fell to the floor, rippling like water. Atop a counter at the far end of the room idly sat a Diaboli girl, wearing a tight corset that scarcely covered her breast and gave way merely to a sil skirt that merely reached her knees. Argutae wove around the many scattered tables in the tavern until he reached the dim light of the flickering candle, an orb of light in the black room, not a foot from the girl. The strong smell of ale still clung to the air, as well as tobacco smoke, burning the back of his throat and nose.

"Well, well, well," she sneered, revealing her sharp teeth, filed to a point, "back in the big city so soon? And where is that brother of yours?" She stressed the word brother making it drip with sickly sweetness.

"You are the oracle, you tell me." he said.
"That's right sweetie," she cackled, "I can see your past. Just like how I know that handsome little thing you pamper is a pus-spitting sin against the gods!"

A metallic twang rang out. Argutae's rapier was at the girl's neck.

"Now honey," her grin had not faded, nor had she flinched, "is that any way to ask for someone's help? I'll be obliged to throw you into the street if you're going to threaten me..." he bright red lips, coated in makeup pouted. For a second Argutae was mesmerized by her perfect skin. Not an inch of it wrinkled and her lucious brown eyes became wide and bright. Though he say a flame flicker in them, one not cast by a candle. Then he was himself.
He lowered his sword.

"Good boy." she smiled again. "So where is the abomination anyway?"
"You should know Rinnata."
The girl's idleness disappeared. Her face was blank with shock at the metion of her name. For a moment she looked afraid, before she regained her composer.

"I'm a bit drunk to do any readings right now," she cooed.
"Fine. He is back at the Emereld Sylph Inn."

Rinnata feigned concern, "You left the poor wittle thing in Cheapside all by his wonsome?"
"I placed enchantments around the room. Not even Laanx herself could get in."
"Himself you mean?" she said accusingly.
"I like to remain sympathetic."

Rinnata stood in one fluent motion.

"You would." she said. "After all, what else have you ever known? It was all you could learn from those neighbors of yours; your dear old parents sure as hell didn't teach you anything."

"Rinnata, I warn you-"

"Oh the fair elven maiden. Here man an eccentric alchemist, off on a journey in the Stone Labyrinth, practicing his art, when she became prgenent. For many moons he did not return and she found she was pregent," Rinnata danced around Argutae, who looked at the floor, "though her parents would not help her, for they disowned her for marrying such a poor man! She fell ill in despair, and did not help herself, though she a skilled herbalist. Word was sent for her husbands return, though he came too late! Near dead was she. He an alchemist he had no way to save her, as they possess no power over The Form, save that do destroy it.

"He carried his poor wife to the Temple of Talad and prayed, though it seemed she would die. In her state she would never reach the portal of life once she went. What was the man to do? Then came-"
"Enough!"
"-the black witch Esmerelda. She had sold her soul to Laanx for magical power, a dark, dark sin, and a cursed life, though she was the only hope for the dying elf and her baby, so she cast a spell. It had a dule effect-"
"STOP!"
"All her unholy energies bombarded the woman, ripped her mind apart and made her weak, though her body filtered them out, and the bouncing baby received only lunar god magic-"
"Shut-"
"She barely lived the remainder of her pathetic existance. Mad and aware, though anable to speak. Always awake but always alseep. Baby Argutae only knew the sympathy of the neighbors who cared for his vegetable of a mother and brought him food, and scolded his father, who viewed his son as a monster responsible for her death. So what did he do?"
"BE QUIET!"
"He took some of the monster's hair and grew it, in hopes his creation could give his wife functioning organs, working cells, for the mind, a heart. Just a bag of transplants. In a test tube he fostered and embrio, then implanted it in a cow! What popped out? Baby Loden! A Homunculus!"

Crack.... A whip wrapped about Rinnata's wrist. Argutae's tall form pinned her to the wall, never touching her, but threatening.

"If you recall," he held out his hand, "I also saved your life." He held in up to her chest. An 'x" appeared over her heart, carved into her skin by light. Suddenly she fell to the floor and clutched the spot on her chest. She looked up at him with disheveled strands of hair hanging in her contorted face. He grabbed her by the neck and forced her up against the wall.

"Rinnata Alperra le Dez. By the power of your name I command you to let me see Mamma Lurra."
Rinnata looked shocked.
"Filthy gypsie," he spat, "you are cursed no? Though gypsie magic is so simple."
Rinnata looked defeated. She spat out a word. The wall behind the counter turned to stone. The shelves stocked with bottles simply disappeared. The stone parted down the middle revealing a hallway.

"Always a pleasure." then he dropped her and walked in.