Author Topic: Diary of Rhianon Aralece  (Read 250 times)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Diary of Rhianon Aralece
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:29:13 pm »
[I always planned to continue the contest entry as a journal of sorts, depicting the RPs Rye participates in. I wanted to do this for Mari but got waaay behind and just gave up, so I'm starting it off now before it gets too far ahead.]

One.

It's the fire that I hate, that I loath, that I dream about at night with the pillows and sheets tossed in such a terribly devastating disarray as I envision its greedy fingers stretching towards my face. They'll tell you it's not a living thing, that it's inanimate and that it can never bode ill will towards another, it is merely a force of nature. But they lie, I know they do. The fire was alive when I watched it. And I watched it with my back seared into the planks of the walls already ravaged by its relentless, ravenous hunger. I watched through a veil of smoke and flame as it stretched across the rooms, voracious and depraved in its cruelty. It wrapped its arms around them like a lover, and I had to watch as it clawed at their clothing and their eyes and their skin. I had to see them throw their heads back in agony and run about in frantic motions, arms beating at their sides, trapped in a raging inferno and unable to escape. Fire doesn't just like to give the dead things life. It doesn't just creep into the empty cracks and fissures of the fallen logs and rotting leaves. Oh no, I know the truth. What it really hungers for is living flesh; to scorch through it as a sculptor molds clay into the pattern they desire. Except fire does not want to create beauty. It wants to devastate and to leave gnarled and writhing, to leave behind nothing but an empty black husk with missing eyes and grinning teeth.

I drug myself on hands and knees. The floorboards crackled beneath my touch, caving in, sending cinders up to blind my eyes. I pressed my body against the door, and I could hear their screams echoing in my head like a chaotic chorus. The wall crumbled and it should have crushed me. Gods, how I wish it had crushed me and ended me there. Perhaps I could have wandered in the death realm with my family till the end of my days, till the Dark Lady's kingdom sucked the power from my muscles, the life from my blood, the marrow from my bones. That end would have been sweet as honeysuckle, I would have welcomed death with open arms and raucous laughter.

But I did not die. I stumbled away from the burning house and collapsed in the snow, sinking deep into it. The cold was a knife; it sunk into my steaming flesh and made a home inside my heart. I could not cry, I could feel nothing. I was numb as I lay there in the icy blanket, watching the roof of the house collapse and the walls fall in with a crash, crash, crash. The cacophony reverberated in my chest. The strong beams fell in as though performing a well-practiced dance. Conductor, arms held out to the instruments, now this, and that, and follow the rhythm. The fire lapped with desperation at what remained until there was nothing left behind but so much black ash and tinder. Then it destroyed itself, fizzled out as though it never was, leaving nothing but those deviously innocent looking embers that glowed softly upon the ground.

My breath fogged the night air with cloudy crystals. I raised my hand and stared at the morphed, hideous flesh for the first time. Red, weeping flesh, already showing the craggy evidence of the fire's crooked fingers. My gaze followed the extent of the damage down to my body. Bits of clothing clung to my skin, and I peeled it away from where the cloth had melded with this now cracked carapace that had become me. I felt like my mind was cracking as well. I could feel it splinter beneath the weight of what had happened. It could not grasp the devastation it had just witnessed. It needed something to blame, something to point an accusing finger at. It needed evil to pursue with valorous intent, something to wreak vengeance upon.

But no one had done this except the fire.

Two.

It was months before I killed myself the first time. It's quite funny how incredibly fragile and delicate life is. How easily it can be forced out of the body. Simple as one artery severed just so, one organ malfunctioning for mere minutes, one thick piece of twine wrapped round the neck and held there for so long...

All it took was a simple draft of clear, thick liquid, and I awoke upon the threshold of Dakkru's door. I meandered my way past the entrance and onto the rocky face of the twisted path. I could feel nothing there either, and despite my dying, my skin remained ruined beneath my clothing like a perverted memento. My tongue felt stuck to the roof of my mouth, perhaps the residual leftovers of the sappy substance that had allowed me to be here. I opened my mouth and drank deeply of the stale air, filling my lungs and cupping my hands to my lips. And I screamed.

“WHERE ARE YOU?”

My voice bounced off of the walls and from the depths of the canyon below my feet. It came back to me and repeated my query, mocking me.

Where are you? Where are you? Where are you little girl?

I walked until my feet ached within my worn leather shoes. The soles slapped the stones in a staccato flop with every step that I took.  The hissing of the strange flying creatures followed me, their beady red eyes glaring at me with fury at my trespassing, their talons flexing and groping in the darkness. I counted my footfalls in my head to keep me calm, one two, one two, following the path that wound farther and farther into nothingness. My lips formed these numbers, one two, one two, again and again, wordlessly mouthing them as I stared down at the ground to keep from acknowledging whatever hideous atrocities I might see if I raised my eyes to glimpse my surroundings.

How ironic that soon numbers would become the very thing that tormented me, yet in this moment, they kept me from losing my mind.

I rounded a corner down into a narrow path, and I let my palms drag along the jagged walls. I saw the purple light throbbing like the pulse of a large beast's heart then, dancing upon the wall to my right. I watched it in confusion, thoughtlessly, before I turned my head towards the doorway that was leaking this ethereal glow. My feet stumbled their way into the room and I gazed upon Her blasted crystal for the first time, my eyes reflecting the light it generated like mirrors in the dark.

The voice that spoke to me was more of a hum than a whisper. It traced with the barest of breaths over my mind, rather than gently tapping my eardrums so that I could hear. It was eerily childlike and strangely soothing, that voice, but I know that the softness in it was a lie. I would grow to hate it. I think I hated it even then, as it spoke to me, because I knew the moment it stated its request that I was going to become something that all rational beings would hate.

“It's your family that you want, child,” Dakkru said softly. The dark crystal thumped and shimmered in time to her words. “But I grow lonely, oh so lonely, down in this place. The people do not appreciate all that I do for them up above, and I wish more could come and see my glorious domain. One hundred lives for the four you seek. Bring me one hundred, and I shall set them free.”

My voice squeaked past dry lips, past a tight throat. I used my tongue to try and deliver some moisture to them and raised my voice, but even then I could barely manage to  utter my reply.

“One hundred?”

“One hundred lives, dear. I'm certain you can count that high, though I admit, judging by your size perhaps that math is a tad too advanced for you. One hundred lives, I do not care how you do it. A slit to the throat, a poison in the beer, perhaps even something more elaborate once you become a bit more creative. Your number is one hundred.”

I felt the chill spread out into my limbs then, colder than anything I'd ever felt before. I was small, barely past childhood at the time. Even if I wanted to agree to the outlandish request, how could one such as me kill one hundred people all alone? And even if I could manage that, what would become of me after it was all said and done? Even if I managed not to be caught and thrown into the glorious crystal above, my soul would be tarnished like oil leaking into water. I would never be the same. My family would look upon me and raise shaking fingers to gaping mouths, saying monster, monster, monster.

My head dipped once, twice, a mechanical motion. Even as logic raved against passion, I knew then what my answer must be. I could not leave them down in this damned place. I could not let them dwindle into nothingness until their carcasses collapsed in devastated dilapidation. I had no choice. I must do as this goddess demanded.

I agreed to soak my hands with blood.
I agreed to become as relentless and cruel as any fire.
I agreed to let this evil pump into my veins and layer my emotions in stone.

My number is one hundred.

Three.

The first life was the worst one to take. I remember the way I sobbed, begging him to stop struggling against my thin, boney hold. I surely would have failed if I'd not selected such a weak and sickly target; the old beggar hobbling amidst the alleyways and sending rats skittering away from his stench. I kept my body gripped onto his as a leach latches to its host. I cut off the supply of air to his lungs and had to listen with my ear right by his mouth as he gasped again, and again. One, two, three, four...

He stopped breathing. He went limp and his eyes rolled back in his head to stare up at me as if he wanted to say hello. He toppled forward and I heard one of his arms snap beneath him sickeningly as it took the brunt force of his weight. The bone pierced through some of his skin and he lay beneath me upon the cold unforgiving ground, neck twisted at an awkward angle, eyes boring holes with their haunting emptiness.

I darted away from him and fell to my knees, my tears staining my cheeks as I relieved my stomach of what little contents it had. My tiny fingers curled around the stones and I had the urge to smash them to bits with them, to break them for this transgression that I'd been forced to commit. I heaved again, and again, until I slumped down in exhaustion in this puddle of my own vomit and sobbed openly, staring up at the azure sky that glowed with brightness to mock my darkness.

My body twitched with erratic spasms upon the ground for a long while. The beggar's corpse was long gone by the time I'd pushed myself to my knees and roughly wiped the snot and tears from my face. I staggered to my feet as though I was intoxicated and sagged against the wall.

That was the first real crack in the foundation of everything that I had been. The innocence and wide-eyed contentment of the child I was was being torn away from me. It left me bare and empty. Empty and waiting to be filled with something else, something that I cannot name. I only know that then, my old self died, and the new self was forced to assert itself with malicious intent. I thrust myself away from the wall and strode from the alley, my eyes fixed straight ahead and my fists clenched tightly at my sides.

My number is one.

Four.

It is strange how easily a person can change. Kind to evil is, what I would tend to believe, the true transformation that takes precedence in society to be. There is simply not enough good to prove otherwise. If there is, I've not seen it. I've only seen how the land is laid out so that certain individuals are loved. The pretty ones with lovely eyes and noses that fit just right upon a perfectly formed face. The effervescent ones that always know just what words to say to make those around them laugh or feel at ease. The intelligent ones that awe and astound the mind with their complex and intriguing thoughts.

But ah, the outcasts. So many of them there are; those that do not fit into the stereotypical norms that define these strategic and stubborn societal strains. They are like a stain upon a well-planned tapestry; a missed line of threading inside the intricately woven pattern. And as such, they are hated by the artist, by the rest of the people wandering about in their daily lives. I feel compassion for them. They have become my targets, because, though most of them have done nothing truly wrong, it is amazing how forgiving or forgetful the masses can be when one of them experiences an unpleasant accident.

Oh, brilliant dance. Wonderful facade. Lovely and glorious and glamorous play. One only needs to walk into a room and look for a few moments before they can spot them. The shady one there in the corner, with his hood drawn over a face that is riddled with scars, his trembling lips nursing heavy liquor. That one, over there, sitting all alone at a table with sad eyes and a broken heart, her hands shaking as they grip her glass. And yet another, right there, leaning, looking over the railing at those gathered but too afraid or perhaps unable to make the connection that he seeks. So he is forced merely to watch, and to be forever, forever alone. One, two, three, like me.

I like to think that they receive a bit of a break from these vices when I kill them. And I don't do it with cruelty, oh no. I am very kind and gracious. I am quick and nimble and assured. Sometimes, I bet they don't even know what hit them. One moment they are fine and breathing, the next, dead, a sack of potatoes smacking against the floor and then a lost soul left to wander the Realm for a undisclosed amount of time. I tell myself this to make me feel better, but what terrifies me as I move from city to city is that slowly, oh so slowly...

I am beginning to believe it is true.

My number is thirty.

Five.

Someone save me. Someone show me that there is something left, a tiny little sliver of salvation, a small smidgeon of grace. Silence the voices in my head and scream and shout in harsh whispers. Tell them that they are wrong, that what they say is not true. I cannot fight against them much longer. I cannot force them into the corners and batter them with arguments against their accusations. What's the matter, Rye? Can't stand looking in the mirror? Can you see the decay as it spreads up from your scars and envelopes your spirit?

But worse is the growing nonchalance about the entire thing. The increasing level of callous uncaring. The side of me that is beginning to kill and maim without a second thought as to the wrongness of the deed. Before it was simply a niggling, but now I feel myself becoming contaminated by it, body and soul.

I am losing the last vestiges of my humanity. I am no longer capable of feeling anything, truly feeling anything, anymore. I am a massive hollow cavern wrapped in sweet caresses and flirtatious smiles. Enjoy what you see, dear brothers and sisters, for if you delve deeper you shall face something darker than the deepest crevasse of the death realm. I do not understand what stuff holds me up and keeps me walking. I feel like a moving vehicle of bone and blood and skin, but what is the spark that keeps me alive? What is the thing that fuels my desires, my motivations?

Only my goal is left with me now. I've been scraped clean of everything else. My identity lies in tattered ruins around my feet, flung into the proverbial abyss of what is right and what is wrong, and what lays in between.

There is no longer any black and white for me. There is no dark and there is no light. There is only the gray, the petrifying greyness of dispassion. Lo and behold, I have become that little snippet of nothingness that you experience right after you die and before the Dark Lady whisks you off to be hammered and molded back to wholeness. I am that putrid stench that assails your senses when you stumble upon the rotting body of some unfortunate being long dead.

Do not look long, for surely what lay beneath will scald your thoughts with travesty.

My number is forty six.

Six.

My mind and body are honed for this. I feel no remorse and no chagrin for what I must do. It is merely a part of life, as sure as drinking water or breathing air. As sure as the crystal will cycle, so I must kill for the freedom of my family. My guilt corroded at my purpose; my shame squelched my noble intent. So I crammed it down into the smallest crevice of my consciousness to eliminate its effects. There was no use for it that would help me carry out my assignment. For surely there is nothing more righteous than laying down the lives of others for your friends. Or was it laying down your own life?

I've almost lost track a few times. I've never experienced such plain, bald panic before. I had to go through them all meticulously in my head, reliving every little detail in vivid first person perspective:
Thirty six, drowned in the pool of stealth, forty three, strangled with a leather belt, fifty five, pushed from the eagle bridge...

I've taken to drawing their images, the way I saw them before I killed them. I draw their pictures and label them with the names I've given them, sometimes I rhyme them with their allotted number just so I can more easily keep track of what I have done and what is still left to come. Their faces are branded forever in my mind, reminders that used to torment me, but now I see them almost as kin, forced into this morbid series of events by my own hand.

I can only spend so long within each city before people grow suspicious. It is a blessing that my appearance is so unassuming. They see the lovely girl with the delicate chin and brilliant eyes. They see the slender girl with generous locks to frame a dainty face and pink, smiling lips. I find it ironic that their own stereotypes often become the end of them. They do not suspect that my level of depravity can hide behind so slight and guiltless a form. Nevertheless, even a blind man can smell a fire if he's left long enough so that the fumes reach his nostrils. So on and on I travel, ever upwards, spiraling towards the sky so that I can drag more down to the depths with me.

My number is seventy four.

Seven.

I've reached the end of my grueling journey. Sometimes my hands tremble when I write, and I do not know why. My writing has become a part of me, and though I know this journal will be my doom if I ever lose it, I cannot bring myself to throw it away. I cannot bring myself to destroy it. It is the only evidence I have that what I do is not because I am truly wicked. I only do what is right. I only do what I must. Perhaps after this is all through, somehow, I can find redemption. Perhaps the deepest part of me still has something inside that could be salvaged amongst the reeking refuse of my own soul. I count the things that I have done right in my life, and I feel as though I cannot even label a number high enough to match the fingers on my hand. One. Two. Three. Forever damned ye be.

So many lives, and so many years. I began as a child, and now I am a woman with a heart as cold and lifeless as any void. I am near the end of it all, and I ponder what I shall be when I am through. I've no skill beyond this impure motivation to exterminate. When I have finally finished what I set out to do, when I finally shake my fist in Dakkru's face and jab my finger towards that final soul that I sent into Her realm, and when I can finally glimpse my family once again, what will become of me? I already know that they shall flee in horror from me; the hideous creature that devoured their sweet little girl that they remembered with smiling eyes and dimpling cheeks. They shall not know me, and I shall sneer at them for their weakness.

There is nothing left inside of me that is good. I now only carry out this mission because there is nothing left for me in this world. I am the faceless body that personifies death. I have no individuality, nothing that I can claim as my own any longer. Death has sunk its tendrils into my entire being; it permeates throughout my very core. It is all that I dream about, and all that I see, and the ultimate end to everything that lives or moves or breathes.

Yet despite it all, here I stand before the precipice, before the edge, where I shall make my final leap and offer up my final sacrifice to the goddess I serve and the goddess I loath. I bend the knee to do Her bidding and curse Her name beneath my breath.

I shall finish it here in Hydlaa. I shall perhaps begin with that slight looking klyros to my right, I would relish the chance to kill a red way mage. Perhaps with that nolthrir to my left, she seems so happy and smiling, with a funny little amulet of Xiosia hanging from her neck no less. Dakkru would like that. Or maybe even that menki in the corner, yes, that one right there. A clamod with a crystal way staff betwixt his paws, I believe I could beguile him into following me. Best set to work, little girl, before they truly see, before they see the darkness infesting thee.

Ah, there is my candidate, lucky lad. Why don't we sit and have a chat over some brew, don't worry, I'll be nice and gentle when I deliver you unto oblivion. Yes, note this warm expression upon my face, this divinely fictitious visage. Come closer, and I shall whisper things that make you feel wanted and loved and secure, fill you with the lyrics of a broken bird that suffers just as you.

It'll be too late for you when you realize the canary is really a snake.

My number is ninety three.

MY NUMBER IS SEVEN.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Diary of Rhianon Aralece
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:31:41 pm »
Eight.

I needed some more supplies. My favorite little concoction for death involves the use of tree sap and an intriguing plant I stumbled upon once in my flight to the wilderness. Alone, they are relatively harmless, if not for a bit of digestive upset. But when combined, they have a habit of making the throat close up, so that the individual who imbibed the substance suddenly finds breathing rather...taxing.

I reiterate, I needed supplies. I've never had to hide my collection of potion ingredients, since typically it only makes me appear the simple apothecary. So I thought nothing of meandering towards the Laanx temple and driving my dagger into the trunk of a particularly sturdy looking evergreen. The sap instantly began to trickle lethargically down between the chipped, weather-beaten bark. I pulled out a vial and twirled it a bit, letting it flirt with the crystal light as though I couldn't have been doing anything more casual, and then held it beneath the gentle flow of the tree's blood. Blood. Hm. I suppose even flowers bleed.

It was in the midst of my collecting that I first spotted him. A funny fellow, not very assuming or daunting in size or shape. A simple face. Not unattractive, I must admit. He was sitting so quietly there amongst the trees, his legs crossed and eyes closed, that even I, with my highly trained senses, had failed to notice him. He was entirely bald save for a small patch of red hair that was reserved in a black-beaded strap. Age wise he could not have been much older than I, though as a dermorian, it's often difficult to tell precisely how old we actually are. As I watched him, he suddenly opened his eyes and blinked owlishly at me. Bright, piercing blue eyes that grabbed my attention instantly. Intelligent, knowing eyes. Immediately I felt my mind and body tense into a defensive state. Know thine enemy.

The first step in securing your own place with such a person, I've found, is to establish your own impassivity. If they don't think you care, typically they won't care. I let a smile spread across my face and accent the deep dimple in my left cheek. My hand made a motion to wipe the stray sap on my glove off upon my emerald cloak, and I corked the vial before sliding it back into my bag amongst an assortment of similar substances. I turned to watch him with feigned mild interest.

He smiled subtly at me, and if I'm not mistaken, there was amusement in those eyes.

“Don't worry, you did not disturb me,” he said, his tone strangely low and deep. Friendly, too.

I let my fingers find their way to a strand of my hair and tucked it lightly behind my ear. They roved along the edge of my hood and pulled it farther over my head as I assessed him, but I kept my face relaxed, my smile firm.
“A poor mind reader. I was actually just thinking about what a...unique hair style you seem to have. And facial markings. Quite...individual.”

My tone was light, I noted with satisfaction. Light and airy and perhaps even a bit flirtatious. Excellent. That is precisely how one could put another at ease. The beguiling abilities of a woman. If I've learned anything, it's that this is as sharp a power as any. Sometimes more potent than finely tuned skills; you must simply know how to implement it well.

This time I know there was humor in his expression. Strange. Typically men will melt at such proclamations, so many of them entirely unstable in their own self-confidence. Don't be fooled. They're fragile as a butterfly with half-clipped wings. You must cradle and coo at them or they'll shatter. But no, not this one. This one seemed to find my statement genuinely funny. Frankly I'm still not sure how I felt about that.

“Oh, why thank you,” he replied, dipping his head in a way that made him seem almost humble.

I let my gloved hand drag along the rough bark of the tree, as if memorizing the divots and spaces in it. I kept my eyes on the elf, a steady and intentional gaze. “So. What were you doing? Meditating?” Pretend interest, that's another thing. Keep your mask steady and constant and never slip it up. Never scuff it with a show of bravado or let it fall with sorrow. Always be light and airy like a summer breeze and they will never figure out you're truly heavy as a stone.

He let his eyes break away from mine and looked down at his hands. I found myself wondering what he searched for there. Did his eyes rove across the life-line and wonder at its length? Or was he merely posturing, letting me believe there was more going on between his pointed ears than there truly was? I was uncertain. I still am.

“Hm, maybe. I'm not quite sure myself.” His movements seemed ancient rather than youthful. There was a heaviness in him, a weight in the slope of is shoulders as though an invisible, tangible force was pushing him down. I know that feeling. Are we kindred souls? I thought, and my thoughts startled even me. I'd given up trying to find things in common with people anymore. I was the reaper, all others were simply potential prey. To think otherwise was to slowly drive myself mad.

“A deep thinker, then?” I noted out loud. Those are the dangerous types, I tell you. More dangerous than a viper. Except rather than lash out at your body and infuse it with venom, they lash into your thoughts and expose them with a slitted silver tongue. I'm sure you can see why this is a bit of an issue for a snake like me.

“Perhaps...is that a problem?” He shot back, letting his eyes flick back up to mine. It was in that glance that I felt the niggling of uncertainty. His eyes were telling me something, and I'm not sure what would be the more terrifying truth: that I could not read the message, or that I was frightened to try.

I smiled anew, my hand disappearing into my hood to smooth some of my hair back into its braid. “Depends entirely on what you are musing over. If you're the philosophical type...then no. But if you're plotting the destruction of multiple cities or civilizations, well...hm...” I laughed softly, the sound lyrical and ringing clearly. “As I said, it depends.” Irony at it's finest, Rhianon. Have you killed enough to be a leveler of cities yet?

He smiled disarmingly at me and nodded. “I see. I have been thinking about...the present and its troubles. Not of destruction, don't worry. No need for another... freak in Hydlaa.”

I let my fingers fingers fall in a rhythmic pattern on the trunk, a steady drumming sound generated in the motion. I kept my body partially concealed by it, and honestly I'm not sure why. Nothing gets under my skin, nothing. So then...what were those eyes telling me? “Oh? Having troubles with freaks, are we?”

He emitted a warm-sounding chuckle. “No,” he said simply, and switched the topic. “What brought you out here?”

I patted my travelsack with my hand and then reached inside, letting the vial balance upon my palm. “This. I just needed some ingredients.” Before he could inquire, I flicked the vial into the air and caught it with nimble fingers. I let it travel down my arm and across my shoulders, then snatched it with my other hand and re-inserted it into its proper place in my bag with a wink. “For a potion.”

I heard it then, what those eyes were saying. When they reestablished a link with my own. It was like a jolt, an electric current that fizzled in the air and struck me in a violent motion.

I see you. I see you little girl. I see you, Rhianon. I know what you are, and you cannot hide from me.

“To give, or to take life?” He asked quietly. Such a simple question, but so pointed as well, as though he'd used that silver tongue without even needing to surreptitiously coax an answer out of me. A mind reader. But I'd dealt with those before. This one was different, for I knew my mind had not been molested. A chill ran its fingers down my spine and I knew it was time to flee. Run, quickly away, let your feet pound in rhythm with the ground and let him out of your sight. It doesn't matter if he compels you. If he knew, he'd flay you with a cat of nine tails and let your ravaged body hang from the branches of the tree above you.

“See you around, beady.” I turned on my heel and let my cloak wrap itself around my body as though to form a physical shield. Careful with this one, Rye, I thought as I walked off. I could still feel those eyes boring a hole between my shoulders. Searching me. Watching me. Knowing me. He'll pry open your shell and leave your reek open to deteriorate in the harshness of light.

And then I switched my thoughts to something far more comforting to take my mind off of his troublesome self. I reminisced upon the fact that soon, very soon, I would be finished with my quest, and that itself was plenty to chase away every last inclination of him with both the feeling of liberation and the gut-churning sensation of deep-seated terror.

My number is seven.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:54:43 am »
Nine.

Laanx. I've never been fond of the god, really. The god of just judgments, they say, but that also means he is the god of cruel condemnation. I imagine he sits affixed in absolute perfection upon an intricately carved chair, content behind his podium to look out upon the world with a deprecating sneer. After all, he must be surrounded by glorious and gorgeous servants clothed in red. Constantly illuminated by never-dying flames. Surely we must seem unworthy of his consideration, us pale slimy grubs squirming about in our own filth. He must observe from somewhere up high above his crimson, massive temple, gavel in hand and ready to slam it down in a final declaration of denigration.

I could hardly begin to imagine what he must think when his piercing eyes look upon me. The lowest of the low, always managing to slink away from the punishments I have already obviously earned. His hatred for me must be a terrible loathing.

Then again, that wrath is completely reciprocated. I will never love a god whose essence is symbolized by fire.

I have to admit, as much as I tend to despise Laanx, I love the idea of Talad. Honestly I'm not even sure how much credit I'd give either, since the only god I'm intimate with is Dakkru, and if I could destroy her utterly I'd do it without a second thought. But Talad is the god of forgiveness and grace. An omniscient being that emanates mercy rather than malicious belittlement. I find his monument to be much more to my taste: high up above everything, overlooking a deep trench with the crystal-shine always shimmering upon it. The carvings on the stone surface are harmonious and intertwined, and there is also the constant presence of offerings. Flowers of all colors, books of poetry and prose, baked things that smell delicious when they're fresh. It doesn't have that oppressiveness like the Laanx temple in Hydlaa. It is open and to me, it depicts freedom.

I stepped towards the shrine past it's seemingly ever-present sentinel, Quasus, and I allowed myself to bow to it. I do not lower myself before just anything, and this god has certainly now shown his goodness in my life. Yet I find myself striving towards the idea of being forgiven. I want that, more than anything. My pride stings at the fact, but it is still a truth I must confess, if only to myself. My braid tumbled down out of my hood and hung limply beside my face, and in my motion to restore its position my eyes caught a figure sitting cross-legged in front of one of the massive podiums holding the roof above us up. Heart skipping a beat, I instantly recognized that same elf from the temple courtyard.

I could have taken two venues of escape here, neither of them pleasant. I knew that, though he had not looked at me, he already knew I was there. Had I crept around him silently, that would have alerted him further that I was taking pains to avoid him, which would invoke suspicion. Instead, I vied for a different and inversely ulterior tactic:

“Beady!”

Overly enthusiastic voice bouncing off the walls, I turned fully to face him, my smile radiant enough to blind.

The elf opened his eyes in a prolonged, languished motion, as though weights were affixed to them. His clear azure eyes stared straight ahead rather than at me, and his breathing was steady and even. Now that I was observing him more closely, I could see that his apparel was more than a tad...off. He was dressed head to toe in a garment made of wild things; a threadbare shirt and pants and a cloak of maple leaves. His face was streaked with muck and mire to make it blend into the earthy tones, and his hair was streaked with grime. If I hadn't known better, I would have guessed he'd adorned himself in such a way to promote camouflage while hunting.

Interesting.

“Greetings, milady,” he said. He did not turn his gaze to me, and for that I was glad. His eyes unnerved me, and I so hate to be unnerved.

I closed the distance between us, my well-polished boots clicking softly against the temple's floor. I moved around him in a half-circle, inspecting him in my roving motion. “You don't look so good, beady,” I commented.

His head shifted so that he could look into my eyes, and I felt my muscles clench. Gods damnit! I thought, wishing I could find a way to put a blindfold on him. Those eyes would expose me, I knew they would. “I know. Quite different from you, milady,” he replied.

For some insane reason I took that as a challenge. I wouldn't let this meager man throw my nerves into a fit on so little a whim. The best way to confront a problem is to confront it in yourself. If you're developing a fear, fling yourself at it with insistent fervor until it ceases to be an obstacle.

I slid my hand down my leg and latched it onto my thigh as I crouched. With the other, I reached out and took a hold of his chin, raising is face further so I could lock gazes with him. Nothing this time, which was good. Hah! I knew it. There's nothing to fear from you. “What happened, beady? You alright?”

There was something intense in his expression, when it locked on mine. He chuckled, which served to relieve some of the tension in it. When I look back on it, he had a nice laugh. And the mirth made his eyes twinkle just a tad. “I was out hunting,” he said softly. “This...felt more comfortable to wear in the wilds.” A smile spread across his face, warm and genuine.

I let my brow slowly rise towards my hairline, and a grin play at my mouth.  “I suppose it would have allowed you to be more hidden. Still. I doubt you're hunting here, at the shrine of Talad.” I  reached to flick his small tail of red hair and smirked, letting that faltering expression take full form like the imp I truly was. “What you say we find you some clothes and get you cleaned up beady. You've got a nice face, hm? Let's dig it out of that paint.”

He laughed again, at it that eternal weight lifted from its perch upon his shoulders as they bobbed in time. “You sure that I am not hunting here, hm?” A wink made the statement suggestive, which I will admit, amused me a great deal. He made an attempt to escape my flick, but I managed it anyway, my fingers briefly sifting through soft hair and making it splay out behind him in a comical way. “Oh, thanks.” He said, reaching back to right his mussed ponytail. “And I can guess what's in for you, eh?”

He's flirting with me!

Actually I really don't know why that came as such a shock. I've mentioned many times before, I'm not above the use of such tactics myself to garner trust. In this situation, it felt entirely different. It could have been because I found him attractive, but somehow I doubt that was the case. After all, I feel next to nothing for anything. Especially not so foolhardy a notion as romance or, gods forbid, love.

I played it up. Maybe a too much, which could have been due to my own growing fretful foreboding. Whatever it was, I emphasized my actions and my playfulness even more than I usually did. It wasn't simply me warding of suspicion now. It was something else entirely.

Alright, I give myself too much credit. I was flirting with him too.

I straightened and pressed my hands, folded, over my heart. A little mock-gasp could be heard as I reeled back. “Beady! I am offended that you think so little of my good intentions. After all, my very purpose in life is to ensure the current fashion trend is strictly followed!” I scrunched my face up in a mockery of seriousness, cross-eyed and lips twisted.

He had never really stopped laughing, but my asinine actions renewed his jubilation. “And I should believe you, hm?” Was his reply, a humored inquiry. “Why not? Try me, Lady.”

I unfolded my hands and reached one out to him, an invitation to help the estranged little elf stand up. “Come. Have a little...faith,” I cooed to him, batting my eyelashes in a fashion that was most certainly meant more to illicit further giggling than it was meant as seductive. You could say I was being clumsy on purpose. Set at ease, any remaining wariness I had for this man would surely disappear.

Reaching out a hand, I offered to help him to his feet. Rather than take me up on that, though, he hopped nimbly up on his own, that telling glimmer never leaving his eyes. “Voron Amar,” he stated, admitting his name to me. It occurred to me that we still had not exchanged these pleasantries, a fact that I found rather amusing at the time.

“Rye, just Rye,” I replied. I winked, one bright eye briefly eclipsed. “Let me see,” I said, beginning to move around Voron, one gloved hand stroking my chin. “Not too gangly, but not terribly built out either. Not bad. I could make an outfit for you. Not the best quality....but durable enough, hm?” I laughed softly, putting forth effort to punctuate the sound with an abundance of mirth. “Tell me, Voron. What colors do you prefer?”

He smirked, and I couldn't help but think it hinged on a certain impishness. “Guess,” was his response, never taking his eyes on me as I circled him round and round.

I pressed my fingertips beneath my eye, over some of the fine lines of tattoos on my cheekbones. Made a show of speculating my response, giving the exercise a good bit of effort. “Blue,” I said. “Ah, lets do some blue. Maybe with a little brown to tone down the flashy...but really, lets take advantage of that wonderful color you've got going on in those irises.”

Listening with that sagacious air, he raised his hand and wove his finger indicatively at me, trying to get me to move closer. I obliged him, because I saw no reason not to, an because I knew that denial would expose me. Again, this was a dance, and though perhaps abstruse in nature, it was still all about putting up the most solid facade. The most elaborate mask. “How much blue?” He inquired. Mirroring my movements, he began to circle me as I tried to circle him, locked in a graceful back and forth motion that was a physical depiction of this metaphoric struggle.

I found Voron's movements highly entertaining, and I couldn't keep the silly, giddy delight out of my eyes. “I like you, beady. I like you a lot." I commented. "And hm...let me think." I made random gestures at his chest. "Perhaps the tunic should be a deep blue, make your eyes pop." My hands curved down to gesture at his hips. "And maybe be elongated to cover some sturdy brown trousers. Perhaps some filigree along your shoulders and around the waist...brown, to match. And long sleeves....I think you'd like long sleeves, not short. A sturdy collar too."

His eyes were watching me all the while, locked on my form and my feet, then back at my face. That sensation shivered over me again, I see you, that horribly mortifying thought that nearly drove me running from the temple. But I cast it out again, continuing my defensive. Set. Determined. “Midnight blue?” He affirmed, eyes locking again with mine.

“Oh yes, gorgeous,” I said, already envisioning what this outfit would look like once I'd finished tailoring it. He really didn't fit at all in that get-up he was currently wearing...

“Like you,” he said, voice rising slightly on the last syllable, yet still managing to make it seem more a statement and less a question. I blushed, and it was only half an act. It wasn't that I'd never been commented upon in a positive light before. Quite the contrary, my face is pretty enough to please the most common of fools. But beneath, I am still just as scarred as I was years and years ago. The redness may have faded, but the roughness had not, and it was a beautifully horrific portrayal of my internal calcification inscribed upon my exterior surface. “What do you want for your services, hm?” He chuckled, “Everything comes with a price, yes? Tria?”

I wanted to be flippant. I wanted to respond with something witty and perhaps even un-engaging. Something that would cause him to dismiss me entirely, grow bored, carry on. I blurted:

“A friend?”

What in the death realm is wrong with you, Rhianon? A friend? Really? Are you going soft, now, of all times? Now is not the time to be SOFT.

â€śYou don't have to tailor me clothes for that. Just don't play with me...much, and stop call me beady,” he said this last laughingly, the first with a tad bit more sobriety. As I asked, he offered the measurements that would be necessary, and I scratched them out quickly inside of this journal as he listed them for me. I remember taking out a wooden bowl and a sack of water, pouring the cool liquid inside and sticking a cloth down to soak. Kneeling down, I gestured to him and he knelt down for me. With quick strokes, like the tongue of a mother cat grooming her kits, I began to wash away the layers of earthy paint and oily grime. I traced around his mouth and forehead and cheekbones, exposing his pale skin again to the light of day. He protested only once, saying that he could finish the task perfectly well on his own accord, but I shushed him and kept on anyway. So he took my ministrations in a stoic manner, jocosity evident in his eyes.

Finished, I winked and placed the cloth back into the bowl where it quickly turned the pure water a rustic brown, tainting it as the mud and mire misc-ed together. I wiped my hands along my cloak to get rid of the remaining moisture, and I let my eyes take in the finer details of his face, things I hadn't noticed before. There was a ragged scar that ran from his brow to his cheek, and I couldn't leave well enough alone. Reaching towards him again, I touched his chin and tilted his face up to study the mark. “Who gave you that, Voron?”

“A very nasty person,” he said vaguely, giving nothing away. His hand flashed quickly, and he caught my wrist easily, though his touch was gentle and carried with it no specific aggression. “Do you always wear gloves?”

Panic. It flared to life and ran a tingling, icy cascade down my spine. Blind fear, as his fingers were twitching right by the edges of my protective covering, my beloved shield. He could simply move them into the small gap and feel the flesh there, flip it off with the slightest motion, expose what I truly was for all to see and run his judgmental gaze down along my quivering and rueful form. I did what I always do when I am truly afraid. I ran.

“Well, they're the latest fashion, you know,” I said, jerking my hand back out of his grasp. I stumbled to my feet, careful to keep my words flowing slick as a smithy's slurry. “I should be going, I'll contact you once those clothes are finished. May take me a while though, I'm a butter-finger with a needle and thimble. Nasty process sometimes.”

His mouth was opening to make his inquiries known. But before they could even leap off of his tongue and float into the air, I was making my way past him, past the entrance, high-tailing it out of that temple like the despicable coward that I truly am.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:55:20 am »
WOW that turned out way longer than I intended. I need to learn to shorten my internal diatribes. xD