Author Topic: Tale of the Guard  (Read 427 times)

feas

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Tale of the Guard
« on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:53 am »
Foreword - There are those who are not known but to a few, that give their lives to those who's name's they will never know. In dedication to those. ~ Feas Fleetrock

Tale of the Guard

I was startled awake by a loud noise but soon realized it was but the dream again. Is it still just a dream when you wake oh so often, heart racing and a cold sweat running down your skin night after night smells still fresh in your mind? Dream seems so distant a word for something that knows you better then anyone else, knows what gives you hope, knows what you love, knows how to destroy it all as you helplessly struggle not only when your able to sleep but its what keeps you awake to stay its return that will come nonetheless. Dream... no there must be another word for this.

It was time for me to get ready for my shift. Every since the last invasion the guard has been put to double duty. You have to decide if you are going to sleep, eat or bathe as there is no time for it all. Those with families may have someone to help with day to day things such as laundry, cleaning and shopping that us single guards must do ourselves but we dont have to look at their faces in our 'dreams' as they are slaughtered by the invaders. It is enough to see nameless women and children but to know them, love them, watch them. None should have to bear that.

As we make way to our post we look to make sure that the fortifications are secure and holding. The weapon caches are intact and rations are rotated to ensure they don't spoil. We remind ourselves we are the lucky ones we are with the rest of us unlike those that are stuck further out in the listening post waiting for the invaders hearing all the strange noises and wondering if this is it or just the wind or an animal that has found a meal. Imagine having to deal with that alone for a week until your replacement comes and you come back home only to be overwhelmed by all the noise and movement till you wish you were out there again alone.

As I listen to the previous days guard report I begin to think, it has been sometime since the last slaughter, it must be getting close to time again. They are like an evil clock, they come and kill without reason and as if they have had their fill they are gone. There is hardly any evidence of their coming I have heard mention of others finding a weapon here or a skull left  never have I seen. Never have I know for one of them to have been killed, their skin is impregnable to our weapons, it seems while only the sergeant of our guard has any armor they are of no match for the invaders either.

What was that....!? There! You hear that? I whispered to the guard next to me. Then with a roar they are on top of us from nowhere and everywhere its too confusing! How? TO ARMS!! TO ARMS!! ALERT THE ARMORED RIVERLING!! THEY ARE.....

. . .

First Edition

A limited copy

Ā«Feas FleetrockĀ»

[Ā«Be on the lookout for more fine stories from players past and present in gameĀ»]