Author Topic: The Plaza's Defence  (Read 490 times)

Anidazen

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
The Plaza's Defence
« on: June 17, 2003, 07:28:33 pm »
Hi, today I applied to be a content member, here is a little idea for a quest. This is based on the assumptions that 1. There will be mobs in the game and 2. There will be another zone with mobs in near the existing city zone. In this case it\'s a temple with evil monsters in. :)

Firstly there is (in this storyline) a small military to defend the Kydlaa city, or just a few guards or whatever... you know the drill a few guards around the place. Secondly, in this storyline there is an city leader, quite an important and respected leader (a King in this example).

\"Hail, Varleeg.\"

The kings aid looks up towards you, an expression of worry on his face. He pauses to think for a second, before seemingly arriving to some conclusion. \"You, you seem like an adventurous sort...\" he mused, \"Tell me, do you consider yourself a brave adventurer? If so you might just be able to help me with a very awkward problem.\"

\"What problem?\"

The aid smiles, \"The thing is, theres this temple a little North of here, I am sure you know it. There seem to be some rather mysterious goings on there as of late. Officially I have no evidence to support any suspicions, but I have my sources, and I need to find out exactly what is going on. I would like to send some soldiers, really, I would, but politically that is an impossibility.\"

\"Why?\"

\"You see, while I could march a squad of the cities finest soldiers to see whats going on, it would be political suicide. We need other leaders to have faith in our abilities and sensible command, not least when it comes to the use of our military. And while I am quite confident that we will find something we should put a stop to, we would look like fools to march a band of soldiers to a temple! Can\'t risk it.... impossible.\"

\"I can go\"

\"Fantastic! I have faith in your safe return. Stealth, thats the word. If you uncover any proof, return it to me. Also, you must understand, this is completley and totally unofficial. I don\'t want you taking this the wrong way, but if things go badly, I don\'t want it tracing back to us. Understand? Fabulous!\"

After this you have to go deep into the new zone either by stealth or by force, and either collect a ground spawn item or kill a mob for an item, then head back. Handing in the pack of notes (or whatever) triggers the next lot of conversation.

\"Fantastic I always had faith in you, something about your eyes... Anyway, while you were gone I asked about you, and as you can see I now know your name at least... It\'s a great service you have done. Lets see.... oh my....\"

\"Whats wrong?\"

\"This is worse than I thought ... a lot worse. However did you get these! Those are not a nice bunch of priests, they could of killed you... they preach destruktion and death, they have to be stopped!\"

\"How can they be stopped?\"

\"If only I could of found out sooner, they are a grave threat... They will attept to summon a dark creature, it is the blackest of the black arts. There is no time! Blast these politics!\"

\"What politics\"

\"Dammit , if I could I would have his magesty lead a small army down there immediatley! But because of our political situation, we are on the brink of his magesty becoming the military representative leader of the whole united area against any attack. Unfortunatley, this means that I can\'t send even a squadron of troops without first consulting our allies. It... it\'s not a major problem. Nothing I want to bother his magesty right now with. But.... blast it! It could have some... unwanted consequences if we are too late.\"

\"What consequences?\"

\"The newly summoned creature will go on a killing spree, doubtless a lot of them before they can control it. In the end we will suffer a few from the kingdom and end up faceing off against it with the armed forces. Our allies will not accept use of even a single soldier without consulting them, not before this agreement is signed. They wouldn\'t accept this as urgent enough to warrent it. Hmm, what would be ideal.... would be if this little ceremony of theirs could be stopped or delayed un-officially.\" The aids eyes looked up to yours hopefully. \"Tell me , do you think you could gather up some adventurous people and cause some chaos down there, just buy us time!\"

\"I will do it\"

\"Just try and stop the summoning, thats all, and of course I will have a reward waiting.... There were first reports of activity in that abandoned temple two days ago.... I think you better hurry. I doubt we have much time to squander. Delay them! Try not to risk too many lives, but more will be risked if you don\'t. And ?\"

\"Yes?\"

\"Thankyou, thankyou and be careful. I\'m sorry to have to ask you to do this, but politics wont allow me any other choice.\"

At this point you have to take a group of 5-6 strongish players, deep into the temple (deeper than before, need a strong group to even get there). In the center (or somewhere :) ) there is a big room... in it is a mob with a name something like \"High Summoner D\'jaut\", and some other mobs \"a ritualist\"?

The glamour of this fight depends totally on the NPC scripting available, but ideally it could go something like this: As you fight ritualists keep spawning (every 15 seconds or something). Also, as you get to about 10pct health on High Summoner, 4 very tough bodyguards spawn, then at 5pct a load of ritualists spawn. When you finish off the High Summoner he dissapears, and a lot of guards from the city rush in and fend off all the adds (they spawn and attack the adds) and the High Summoner appears again and carrys on attacking. (You only killed him from a game-design perspective, this way you get to watch a raid of guards save you and take down all the adds and the High Priest.)

So basically (from gameplay perspective) when your fighting it\'s like your trying to fight this tough summoner and all the others keep rushing at you from seemingly out of nowhere, until his tough bodyguards and then a massive charge of mobs, and it looks done for, but then a charge of guards rushes in and fends them all off for you. - Would be good fun to play through I think.

When you get back aid Varleeg greets you and gives you some appropiate reward, and the quest can be developed further.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 07:42:06 pm by Anidazen »

Antity

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 07:39:01 am »
I vote for this quest :) (even though no vote was requested :) )
How should I know how it works?That\'s what developers are for.  I only tried it.

Jaxan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 12:59:55 pm »
I too would vote for this quest.  Unfortunately, I think you just blew it by posting here. :P Well at least the insanely pointless text part... oh nevermind, we don\'t want that anyways.

Good job. :)