YES
13 (72.2%)
yes, however the rules are a bit confusing
3 (16.7%)
NO
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: September 22, 2011, 08:12:38 pm

Author Topic: Tournament of Ways![DRAFT, tell me what you think? :)]  (Read 497 times)

DarkraTantellion

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Tournament of Ways![DRAFT, tell me what you think? :)]
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:12:38 pm »
Tournament of Ways![DRAFT]

There will be 4 divisions

Elite Division (8 players) - Must be realm 5 in at least 2 or more ways.

Master Division (8 players) - Must be realm 5 in ONLY 1 way, other ways may be realm 4 or below.

Adept Division (8 players) - Must be realms 3-4 in at least 1 or more ways.

Begginer Division (8 players) - Must be realms 1-2 in at least 1 or more ways.

Rules:

All participants will face each other in the division they have chosen.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When it is your turn, you will need to stand in the battle square (marked).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The judge (me) will roll a 6-sided die at the beggining of each round. If it rolls 1,2,3 - the left side participant will begin the duel. If it rolls 4,5,6 - the right side participant will begin the duel.

[IE. Judge rolls a 4, player that is on the right side (point of view of the judge)of the battle square will start the battle]

There will be several turns in each round (1 round = 1 duel/challenge/fight).

Each round should not take longer than 8 minutes. If 8 minutes have passed and there is no winner, the win will go to the player who have cast the most diverse spells.

The judge will ask if the 2 are ready, if they both agree the judge will give one final 'Turn 1, go' before the duel begins.

The chosen player (dice roll) will start of the battle with 1(ONE) spell, you may NOT cast more than 1 spell per turn (spamming magic is not allowed). Players are not allowed to leave the battle square. Players are not allowed to move (except by accident while trying to type). Players are not allowed to attack another using melee or any weapons. Failure to obey will result in disqualification.

Once that player have cast their spell, the next player will then cast his own. Again, only 1 spell each turn!

(IE - Player A wins the dice roll, judge gives confirmation. Player A casts Energy arrow on player B.  It is now player B's turn, Player B casts healing flash. End of turn 1.)

After each turn, the judge will say "Turn X (2,3,4...9), GO!" before that turn begins.

Participants are not allowed to cast from the same Way until every 6 turns have passed.

(IE - Player A used energy arrow, player A will not be allowed to cast from the Crystal Way until he/she/kra has cast 1 spell from the other 5 ways. Player A will have to choose a spell from another way for the next 5 turns, same goes for player B)

[IE - If you cast Crystal Way in turn 3, you will not be able to cast Crystal Way again until turn 7, same applies for all ways. Again, If you cast Red Way in turn 9, you will not be able to cast a Red Way spell until turn 13, however you may cast a spell from one of the other ways you have not casted from yet]

The Ways will refresh at : Turn 7, 13, 19, 25, 31

If you do not have a spell from a way, you may skip that turn.

(IE - player A does not know any blue way spell. Player A passes.)

Only 1 healing spell is to be allowed until the Ways are refreshed. Relaxing sleep is not considered a healing spell.
(IE- Player A casts healing flash in turn 1, Player A may no longer cast a healing spell until turn 7)

BANNED:

NO weapons/magical weapons

NO potions

NO murders/killing

NO food inside the battle square

NO familiars are to be summoned during a duel ( no rivnaks, drifters etc )

ALLOWED:

Magical rings

Maigal Amulets

Bracelets

Robes

Magical Bracers

Armors

ARE allowed inside the battle square.

[PLEASE PLEASE tell me if this is a good idea or not. I need votes, if the majority is a YES then I will continue to work on this tournament. If it is a no then I will stop my hard work. I realize this is a LOT of rules and that is the main reason why I am re-thinking about making this.]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:16:05 am by DarkraTantellion »

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament of Ways![DRAFT, tell me what you think? :)]
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 03:53:29 am »

A clear YES from my side. We need more well thought-out player events.
The concept is maybe not brand new, but I think a turn based magic tournament provides the best way to combine elements of RP fights and game mechanics. Another great advantage of the turn based spell casting is that players with moderate skills (e.g. requirement for "Elite Division") stand a chance against high end mages (rank 200 way skills). And finally, the probabilities for accidental kills tend to zero this way.

The rules are relatively clear and certainly not to complicated.
Some points maybe need clarification:
  • Will there be one dice roll per round (opening move only) or per turn?
  • As potions and enchanted weapons are forbidden, you should also state whether bracers, rings, amulets and armor pieces with such effects are explicitly allowed.
  • You certainly do not want to allow food for healing.
  • It cannot be wrong to disallow familiars, which technically could be used to attack.
  • You may want to add some more rules to make spells like necrotouch or flaming weapon useable. For example, you could allow contestants to attack once per turn in a fully defensive stance only (to exclude the effects of combat skills and physical stats). It is perfectly reasonable to keep any sort of combat disabled, though.

That is all for the moment.
Keep it up and good luck for your games.

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:47:38 am »
A yes from me too, but with a little stresser.
In The Warriors we tried something similar as a in-Guild contest of sorts and we quickly found out that one spell per turn would make the rounds be ever-lasting due to various healing spells. Even when we limited the casting of such spells, the duels would simply be a stalemate until one or both contenders got bored and yielded.

* I think (?) that your point about the dice roll was for per round and I think it should be just 1 dice roll per round. With too much to keep track of one can easily forget other cruital rules.
* I think wearable items - weapons as well - could be allowed, as long as the combined buff of them all doesn't take the contender up to a new Realm. E.g. Laanx's Mind weapons could put the contender in a higher tournament division.
* No potions or food for healing, as I said earlier on the magic duels can be a real drag already.
* I don't see why anyone would want to sit on their familiar during the tournament, so disallowing them is very much reasonable.
* I also agree with Boni here about making buffer spells useable somehow, but I can see many cons to that as well. Maybe for an updated version of the tournament one day :)

Looking forward to attend your tournament, should you decide to host one in the future  :sorcerer:
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:53:37 pm »
  I love this idea!!   :sorcerer:

1. No weapons, this is (sounds like) pure magic. yay!  \\o//
   2. No familiars, at least the first time (lag?).
   3. Time constraint (going too long), having the dice roll once per round sounds quicker.
  I vote yes. *nodding emphatically*
my name is Sanrai ;)

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »
I love the idea, the only thing to hammer out is of course the healing spells thing. Maybe only allow them to be used a set number of times?

(Ex You may only cast healing flash three times a duel)

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »
But then there's still the problem of Relaxing Sleep. It's not as big of a problem as the main healing spells, but it is an absolute cruitial spell if mana potions aren't allowed.

E.g. let's say that X and Y were to duel.
X has saved his AW and CW spells and we are now at turn 5, X is also quite low on health
X casts Relaxing Sleep for turn 5
X casts Healing Flash for turn 6
At turn 7, all spells are useable again
X casts Healing Flash for turn 7 if needed
X casts Relaxing Sleep for turn 8 if needed
X now has full health and mana, as was the case at turn 1

With a fear of making it too complicated, how about making an own rule for the heal/regen spells?
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:24:01 pm »
But then there's still the problem of Relaxing Sleep. It's not as big of a problem as the main healing spells, but it is an absolute cruitial spell if mana potions aren't allowed.

E.g. let's say that X and Y were to duel.
X has saved his AW and CW spells and we are now at turn 5, X is also quite low on health
X casts Relaxing Sleep for turn 5
X casts Healing Flash for turn 6
At turn 7, all spells are useable again
X casts Healing Flash for turn 7 if needed
X casts Relaxing Sleep for turn 8 if needed
X now has full health and mana, as was the case at turn 1

With a fear of making it too complicated, how about making an own rule for the heal/regen spells?

Remember that Player Y could cast attack spells in turns 5,6,7,8 which could cancel out the healing spells

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:10:20 am »
The idea is good, but the problem (current) is the lack or rather the dysfunction of antimagic / spells which protect from other spells. It makes such duels half as interesting as they could be. I.e. right now all defensive spells are directed only against physical attacks, and nothing can be used to defend against magical ones. Plus all immobilization spells are defunct as well. This will basically boil down to competing for casting higher damage spells and higher healing ones.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:14:33 am by Gilrond »

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 02:20:32 am »
This will basically boil down to competing for casting higher damage spells and higher healing ones.

I think that is kind of why you can't spam damage spells and healing spells - also there are divisions so a low level mage wont have to go up against a high level one...

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 02:43:05 am »
At present also ways are greatly unbalanced. Some have lot's of damage spells (RW, DW), others have lot's of healing spells (CW). Such ways as AW, BRW and BLW for example have lot's of broken and unusable spells.

provisionist1

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Art:
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 03:03:30 am »
I think you might be able to balance things out by making it (or having in addition) a two-on-two contest. That way someone can choose a partner that complements their magical strengths and weaknesses. It also makes things a bit more strategic- i.e. do you focus your attacks on just one person leaving the other unscathed to attack you back, or both?

Also, perhaps having a judging panel to do an additional score based on RP flair and style while casting spells? That way the person great at RP but not as much with magic can still win something against someone terrible at RP but who has power-levelled themselves.

Anyway, sounds like a good idea!  \\o//
Xirius Dolaktisht
AD LIBERTATEM

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 05:59:13 am »
I think the most important rules to avoid "infinite loop" situations are your restrictions for reuse of spells. Allowing one spell per way and player every six turns is a good start, but ultimately leads to little diversity in spell usage. Some spells have an amazing effect (over time) with a single cast, and there is typically no better, situational choice within the same way.

You most probably also considered limitations to cast each (named) type of spell at most once for a certain number of rounds. This number should be the same for all spells, but differ for each of your divisions. (Actually, this number alone, maybe with the exclusion of certain magic realms, may serve better for defining your divisions than limits in character stats which need to be checked in some way.)
I think it is more interesting to share this limitation for both mages, such that your choices will also affect those of your opponent.  For example, early usage of relaxing sleep may be of little direct use, but keep the spell disabled for a few turns. Of course, some ways offer more distinct spells than others, but balance of ways is not much better with other rules anyways. And if I remember right, the overall number of spells that inflict damage is quite a bit larger than those of healing and regeneration type.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:07:35 am by Bonifarzia »

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:51 am »
Remember that Player Y could cast attack spells in turns 5,6,7,8 which could cancel out the healing spells

I took that into account, but my point is still valid given that you have sufficient lvls of CW and AW.
One other thing to have in mind for the actual duel is avoiding confusion if the spell fails. You need to have both a very clear ruling that it counts, as well as the caster should inform of the failed cast.