Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 242 times)

alexcunn

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:36:40 am »
Hello,

My name is Alex. I am new here. I am a newbie programmer trying to find information on game development. I found this site and I am not only interested in the open source but the game as well. :P

Any advice on where to start?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:10:53 am »
Hi Alex.

There are a lot of sources of information about the game: First the website with the chapters hidden in the left navigation bar; second the PSWiki; third this board with its many forums and subforums ...

But I fear I can't point you to detailed guides about "game development" in relation with PlaneShift. At least not without knowing your background; C++ and CVS/SVN will belong to required knowledge areas. PlaneShift is based on the 3D engine CrystalSpace 3D, there you can find more areas you should know about.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:42:04 am »

Even though this one is quite old (2008), I still think it gives a nice overview:
planeshift.it/download/PlaneShift_Tech_Talk.pdf

It is among the list of engine documents here:
http://194.116.72.94/pswiki/index.php?title=Engine_Document_Downloads

Elkarway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »
Don't start with Planeshift when it comes to programming.  Too large of a project for somebody who calls themselves a newbie programmer.

I'd suggest doing a few of your own projects.  C# is a good starting language if you're really starting out.  A good IDE is extremely important and there are few as good as Visual Studio (the express editions are free.)  You'll want to look at XNA if you do choose C#, I'd suggest SFML if you'd rather go C++.  Either way you'll want to get used to source control and for that I suggest using git.  It's growing in the industry and is really the best source control out there.  SVN is worth knowing as it's quite a bit more like perforce than git is (perforce is currently king in the industry.

Always happy to see somebody is getting interested in game programming.  Wish you the best.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:26:23 am »
The most important detail is not the programming language, but the game. Develop the game first without any line of source code.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

alexcunn

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:27:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I only call myself a newbie programmer because I don't have much memorized but I do have an idea of C++ and how libraries work. Just not that much of the libraries themselves. In fact I am a programmer for my schools robotics group.

I found a wiki page. I don't know if it is out of date or not. Is there still a development school. I would love to learn from a mentor who has a lot more experience in C++ and knows a little more about libraries.

Elkarway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:47:13 pm »
The most important detail is not the programming language, but the game. Develop the game first without any line of source code.

If you want to actually get a job the complete opposite is true.  Low level programming languages are a must, how 'fun' your game is doesn't matter at all.  I'd push you towards doing demos more than anything.  They're more likely to be completed and more likely to be impressive.  Finishing a game is always a good thing to do but hardly the most important.