Author Topic: Need ideas for a Fall Festival  (Read 483 times)

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
Need ideas for a Fall Festival
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:05:08 pm »
Anyone have some ideas for a Fall Festival at the RCD?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Need ideas for a Fall Festival
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:07:53 pm »
I would assume lots of eating and drinking as is customary for fall activities. However a good theme I am at a loss for. A flower festival would be good for spring but I am not sure what is good for autumn. A fire festival perhaps?

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:39 pm »
A bonfire sponsored by the RCD? I don't want to ask too much from the GM's but I don't even know if a bonfire, maybe outside the East gate, would be feasible.

A circle of dwarfs casting 'flame spire' might do the trick. ;D

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 08:49:38 pm »
Well, it doesn't have to be a bonfire to be a fire festival although it would understandably nice. But have fire decorations and candles and fire holders. Celebrate the last vestiges of heat before the cold months come.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:14:41 am »

What is this autumn that you speak of?

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:01:32 am »
A bonfire sponsored by the RCD? I don't want to ask too much from the GM's but I don't even know if a bonfire, maybe outside the East gate, would be feasible.

A circle of dwarfs casting 'flame spire' might do the trick. ;D

Fire spells in the city? Call the Guard!!!

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 08:55:32 am »
Gonger, I said "outside the east gate".

Waesed has Potare smack Gonger with a fish. 8)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 09:02:02 am »
Hydlaaktoberfest? Tapping the barrel, drinking, eating greasy food, dancing?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 10:37:14 am »
"Yliakum is subjected to times of "day" and "night". But even at night, it is not completely dark unless affected by clouds, bad weather, or one of the inexplicable 'Crystal Eclipses'. The level of the lake, which rises and falls in an extremely consistent manner, is the basis for measuring hours. A wide band of the metal Orichalc was put on a section of the sixth wall because it is the only metal that doesn't oxidise and underwater flora cannot take root on it. The names of the six periods that divide each of the four seasons are carved on this band, and information about the periods is engraved over the level reports. Years are measured from the creation of the Lemur in the abbreviation AY, meaning After Yliakum. 500 years would be 500AY. The year is subdivided into four seasons only because of the different states of nature during these; birth, height, downfall and decay and the observation of the cyclic phenomena of vegetative growth. "

It would be a harvest festival. Of course, we will tap the barrels and eat greasy food. :thumbup:

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 10:44:41 am »
Gonger, I said "outside the east gate".

Waesed has Potare smack Gonger with a fish. 8)

OUCH!!!
 :surrender:

(Ok, I deserved that one for poor reading!)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 02:08:16 pm »
spring->summer->autumn->winter
birth->height->fall->decay
impulse->will->action->reception

autumn and fall festivals is typically associated with the harvest here on earth (pumpkins, bobbing for apples, hay rides) but the cycle seems to be similar in Yliakum.

Lammas (L):  celebration of the first grain harvest and sports.
Fall Equinox (S):  Sun enters Libra;  Celebration of the second grain, the grape and other food harvests, a perfect balance between male/light and female/dark energies but now the dark is growing;  a hard time for occultists, as contacts again are broken off.

Virgo:  August 24 – September 23;  Mercury,   Earth,   â€śI analyze”.
Libra:  September 24 – October 23;  Venus,   Air,   â€śI balance”.
Scorpio:  October 24 –November 22;   Pluto/Mars,   Water/Fire,  “I create/transform”.

Lammas (L).
Colors: grain golds, bread browns and  vegetation greens.
Customs: Olympic-like games and competitions, sports and martial arts.  Any grain product – baked or otherwise, trial or temporary marriages, gathering herbs, sand candles, replacing rugs in the home and gathering seeds for next year’s crops.
Element Ruling Season. Water.
Foods: early fruits and vegetables, grain products, fish and poultry.
Offerings:  Multigrain bread with herbs in it and barley water.
Incense:  Dry local flowers such as sunflower, marigolds, add seasonal grain flour, oak, myrrh and pine, a pinch of dragons blood.   Bonfire incense: oak and other tree leaves, hops, sage, juniper, pine and myrrh.
Magical Workings:   A celebration of first and the grain harvest, sports, honoring your elders, psychic connections, playfulness, reaping what you sow and rejoicing.

Fall Equinox.  The PAGAN THANKSGIVING(S).  Sun enters Libra;  another hard time for occultist, as contacts again are broken off.
Colors: Pumpkin oranges, fruit reds, grape purples, grain golds, leaf browns and vegetation greens.
Customs: Harvests, brewing and wine-making, canning etc.; blessing stone circles and henges, giving thanks for all the bounty and blessing of the past season.  A thanksgiving feast.   Outdoor grain mandalas for the birds, and other animals.
Element Ruling Season. Water
Foods: crowdie, lambs wool cider, soul cakes, apple & pumpkin based foods, oatcakes, hazelnuts, sassafras tea or  root beer, cornbread and other nut based foods, general thanksgiving feast.
Offerings:  multigrain mandala made outdoors and left for nature to use

Hallowmas (Celtic/Lunar New Year).
Colors: pumpkin oranges, rust and blood reds, scarlets, fiery yellows, blacks, grain golds, ghostly gray and whites.
Customs: bon and bone fires, apple games, pumpkin carving and carrying, fire dancing, honoring ones ancestors, fortune-telling, celebration of final harvest, telling ghost stories, dumb supper, leaving a white candle and milk in the window for lost spirits, dressing in costume to scare spirits away, trading soul cakes, tarot story telling, leaving milk and a white candle in a window for lost spirits.
Element Ruling Season. Earth – Dark Spirit.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:13:38 pm by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

iridia

• Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 08:55:34 pm »
Thnx Aramara for these insights. I think they will prove to be very useful.

@cdmoreland: Do you have any indication when you would like to have this festival so we can take this into account with planning of the GM events?
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 09:04:35 pm »
Looking at a music festival around the middle of October so it will be the end of October to the first half of November. Things are looking up for the RCD. :thumbup:

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 06:41:33 am »
Nice idea to have such a festival. For now I am completely focussed on the cooking event next weekend tough.
Love,
Damola

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »
I had one idea in the mean time:

Fall is about harvesting the fruits and goods of the plants and so… how about a potluck kind event at the Den´s. Instead of the Den´s sellings dishes and so one, everyone brings fresh harvest and… we have a big buffet?
Love,
Damola