Author Topic: windows 7 support? getting an error.  (Read 813 times)

devind0

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
windows 7 support? getting an error.
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:45:51 pm »
Just recently put windows 7 on my laptop and am trying to run the planeshift client. I was able to download install and patch it fine but I get an error and it closes shortly after i try to run it.
"something unexpected happened in planeshift! Details EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 05780cc0, would you like to save a diognostic file?"
how can i fix this?

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
Re: windows 7 support? getting an error.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:55:42 pm »
It runs fine in Windoze 7 assuming you run it with administrator privileges.  It probably has nothing to do with the operating system.  What hardware setup do you have?

Rigwyn

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:00:04 pm »

If it runs fine as a power user but not as a local user then most likely the app is trying to write to a folder that you do not have write access to. That or its trying to update a registry key that you o not have write access to.
I don't know if the ps client writes to the registry or not .. But its something to check.

If this is the case then try adding yourself to the local power users group.

A more extensive approach would include isolating the file or resource that the app cannot write to.

devind0

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:16:52 am »
I am already running it with admin privileges and still getting the error. As for what hardware im on im using a tablet pc with a intel express 945 graphics card and an intel centrino processor. I have played world of warcraft on this laptop on high detail in the past so i think my graphics card should be capable of running planeshift, however im not sure.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:34:03 am »
Hi there,

intel express 945 graphics card
<- that is not a graphics card, it's a desease.

Sorry. Actually, it's an integrated chip on your motherboard. Unfortunately, intel chips (or rather, intel
drivers) are notoriously bad at handling OpenGl (which PlaneShift uses).

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed and try to set all graphic settings to "low". Turning
VBO-buffering off also often helps.

Maybe someone of the more tech-savy people has some more specific hints, though.

Good luck,
Minks

devind0

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:52:19 am »
ok i understand i guess ill just have to install planeshift on one of my desktop machines. Thanks for the help. :)

devind0

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:46 am »
I jest set all my graphics settings to low and i no longer get the error and am able to log in. Thank you nso much for your help!  \\o//