Author Topic: .cfg file weirdness - any help?  (Read 687 times)

Amlys

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
.cfg file weirdness - any help?
« on: November 05, 2005, 04:11:48 pm »
I\'m having a strange problem that I\'m not sure how to fix: all of the .cfg files in my Planeshift3D folder have somehow associated themselves with a completely unrelated app on my computer (a WWII strategy/combat game demo) and will only open that game if I try to do anything with them.

I have both re-downloaded 0.3.011 and updated 4 or 5 times, trashing the old folder and using both updaters, and trashed the other game\'s folder, and still all the PS folder\'s .cfg files think they belong to this other game. Their icons are those of the other game, Get Info shows them to be documents for the other game

While this is almost certainly a problem with my computer, not PS, I thought maybe I might find a more knowledgeable Mac-head than myself here.

Much thanks for any advice!

P.S. I\'m running OS 10.4
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 04:12:58 pm by Amlys »

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 04:33:21 pm »
If you want to edit the files, you should be able to drag them to TextEdit (if it\'s in your dock) or go to a text editing program and open them from there, or rename them .txt temporarily, modify, and then close.  Same with .xml files - I prefer to have textedit in my dock, and then drag\'n\'drop.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Amlys

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 05:08:09 pm »
Thanks dfryer - that does work for editing. I had already used textedit with .xml files (for some reason they wanted to open in Illustrator, left to their own devices) but hadn\'t thought of it for the .cfg files.

However, I\'m still stuck with the fact that ALL of the config files think they belong to another app. Now, if this isn\'t a problem and won\'t interfere with how PS uses them, I\'ll just ignore it and get on with my life :) But it just doesn\'t seem right...

Am I just fretting over nothing?

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 05:28:41 pm »
It\'s not going to break anything - Planeshift will use them regardless of who they think they\'re owned by.  It can be a pain though, for purely aesthetic reasons :)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Amlys

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 05:36:00 pm »
Ah, OK then, I\'ll let it go as one of the mysteries of the magic box on (and under) my desk :). Thanks for the reassurance.

Though really all those little tanks seem quite out of place in my PS folder...

Now to wait for the server to reappear...

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 10:50:53 pm »
If you want to remove the weird icons, try this (running Panther/Tiger):

Select one of the cfg files in Finder and go to the File menu and select \"Get Info.\"
In the \"Open with\" section (if it isn\'t visible, click the little arrow), select the pulldown menu and then \"Other...\" Navigate to TextEdit(.app) and select this. Press \"Ok.\" Then click \"Change All...\" and confirm. :)
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!