Author Topic: "unexpectedly quit" message for pssetup and psclient after update  (Read 621 times)

K8

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
HI! Any help would be appreciated...
I am running MacOSX 10.4.3. I downloaded PS version 3.011. I attempted to update it through the java app, but some of the files just didn\'t exist. So I did the update manaully, as it was outlined in \"READ BEFORE POSTING.\" Everything seemed to go ok, but when i attempted to open the setup, it quit almost immediately. The same goes for the psclient. Ironically, the update opens, and it is suddenly able to get a ping on the server, which it previously could not. I am not sure what to do now...I assume it will be redownloading it and reupdating it, and hope it works but its taken me nearly 6 hours to get where I am now..and I am not excited about starting over.
THANKS!!!

-Kate

wain

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 07:53:42 pm »
A couple of questions...
How recently did you download the Java updater? And did you follow instruction 2a in \"READ BEFORE POSTING: A Guide to Running Planeshift on Mac OS X\" to set your Java version to J2SE 5.0?

What you describe is where I was at a week ago, before the new updater came out, so it really sounds to me like you need to download the new updater.

One other thing it could be, however...
When the updater is running, make sure it\'s using mirror 2 or mirror 4 (it\'ll tell you at the start of the update run). If it\'s using mirrors 1 or 3, cancel and restart. The reason is that mirror 1 has (or at least had) out of date files, and mirror 3 seems (seemed) to be completely corrupt. So your copy of Planeshift wouldn\'t run if it used one of them. If they\'ve since fixed this, I haven\'t heard, so best to avoid those other mirrors until word is given that they\'re safe.

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 07:58:52 pm »
Mirror 3 is fixed and is one of the fastest mirrors now. I suggest either it or mirror 2. Mirror 4 is fine, but slow. Mirror 1 is simply a mess and doesn\'t work at all.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

wain

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:07 pm »
Any chance you could convince the owners to switch off mirror 1 until it\'s fixed? It completely wrecks the files of anyone not aware of the problem.

Also, have you considered having the updater check for new updates to your Updater.jar? I\'m sure you probably have, but that would certainly be handy. :)

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:23 pm »
Hrmm... Yes... We\'ll have to see. ;) Right now I\'m working on the Planeshift role-play events initiative. I\'ll see if I have time. :)
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!