Author Topic: Newbie Hell  (Read 482 times)

Adramelech

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Newbie Hell
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:18:18 pm »
Hi all, first post here.

Downloaded Planeshift yesterday from the Apple site, hoping to embark on a brave new wrold in my all too frequent downtime.... but, alas.

I have read the manual, this forum and have made many attempts to learn and activate the terminal update command all to no avail.
What actually happened was thus: 1. Download 3.13 from Apple site 2. Read help file/Readme 3.  Register email/pass 4. Open client
5. Error message re: client out of date 6. Download BitTorrent 7. Click Torrent link and get "File Not Found" page. Oh Joy!
And it only took an hour of needless mucking about to get to this stage, after the few hours of downloading the client.
And as of April 16 (which, pardon my rudeness, but that was a while ago chaps) the osx client was working fine.

Can somebody please tell me what's going on. I'd really like to play this game, I'd even like to aid in development, but at least try to
meet me half way here.

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Hell
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:40:12 pm »
You have stumbled upon the lovelyness of our releases :P

Since we only have two people who can work on, bugfix, and package the macos releases, they lag behind the linux and windows versions. In a few weeks all platforms will hopefully have current versions, but I'm not a release packager. I'll make sure to poke one of our macos packagers on your behalf :P

In short, hang in there, an up-to-date version will come. Some time.

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Hell
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 08:43:14 pm »
jose: we have an up to date version.

Adramelech: I have two words for you: Read Stickies. Those two words will save you a lot of time. I'll throw in a few more, "Search before posting." Trust me, you're not the only one who's had these problems. Try using the Java updater mentioned in the stickies. PM me if you have trouble following the information in the stickies. iLock.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!