Author Topic: If you're having issues updating...  (Read 1197 times)

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
If you're having issues updating...
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:25:30 pm »
Hi again, all :)

This is just a quick little tip for anyone who's having issues updating (like me) This is an issue I had with the last release as well, and it seems to be others who are having the problem, not just me, so I figured I'd stick the really easy fix up here on the site.

If you want to skip the dry humor in the paragraphs below, just skip to the end  :P

So, as a good little Mac-user, you open up your shiny little PS folder icon, and then dutifully run the PS Launch program, which for the first time in history, actually has the icon it's supposed to have, two helpful looking wrenches that look like a strange coat-of-arms of sorts.  Immediately after being opened, that speedy little program feeds you a dialogue box asking you whether or not you'd like to be running the correct version of the game, and experience all the wonders of the brand new PS release.  A simple "yes" or "no" suffices as an answer for that overeager little program known as PS launch, and after supplying the affirmative, the program begins to give you a live play-by-play of how quickly it's downloading and loading all those new spell animations for your character to admire. 

Then, for some reason yet unknown to us higher intellectuals using this wonderful operating system, the application suddenly quits.  As you convulse in dismal waves of horror, and wonder how you'll ever manage to survive if you don't have the animation for the update nuke-everybody glyph, never fear, a simple fix is here.  Simply deny your PS launch program the joy of receiving that "yes" from you, and go against every "YES, WE CAN" motto you've heard over the past year or so, and click the angry-looking box that says "NO"

After doing this, scroll down to the helpful-looking word "Repair" and depress your trackpad button.  Then, after meticulously checking your client with an integrity check, it will again give you a simple yes or no question "Would you like to download the correct copies of these files?"  Now, you may finally have the satisfaction of giving that "yes, yes, yes!" answer that you've dreamed of supplying for so long, now. 

Ah, now it's time to sit back, relax, and enjoy a few macaroons while you get the new version of your client.
Good job you little tech wizard, you.  :sorcerer:

If you scrolled all the way down here, and skipped my commentary, here's the quick fix: When asked to update to the correct version in PS launch, say "No", then go down to Repair, and when prompted, click yes.  Boo to you for skipping my commentary  >:(

Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
Re: If you're having issues updating...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:30:14 pm »
someone could have issues with your commentary... :P

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »
I'm surprised you read it that fast  ;D I'm allowed to satirize the client for my own OS, thank you very much  ;)

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »
wonderful eh... i so hate it to the deep.

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:40:04 am »
Starting the PS launch a second time after the quit and choosing yes to update again worked for me.

Afterward, it took 3 tries for the game to start up without freezing or quitting, but no trouble since.

I'm so happy all the weirdness in guild houses with floating furniture and black floor/walls and items and that older house of mirrors affect all seem to be fixed  \\o// for the first time since version 3?
Only took a year  :whistling:

Toltha

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 07:03:23 am »
Starting the PS launch a second time after the quit and choosing yes to update again worked for me.
same for me!
Afterward, it took 3 tries for the game to start up without freezing or quitting, but no trouble since.
hope it will be the same... just tried twice 'til now and had some problem (freezing and quitting too), but I'll keep on trying, I think it will work :) .

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:27:20 pm »
Thanks bro. Although of course I skipped your 'dry humour' as you call it. Perhaps there are better words for it though ;)

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:14 am »
You can't say that here, Mekora   :P

Thanks for the tip, Car. :)  Only took me 3 hours to update both clients, but works wonderfully now!  I didn't have the freezing issue too badly, but I also didn't try to move much when I first got it running.  I was actually able to repair the second client while running the first.
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:48 pm »
Thanks bro. Although of course I skipped your 'dry humour' as you call it. Perhaps there are better words for it though ;)

Anytime :)

You can't say that here, Mekora   :P

Thanks for the tip, Car. :)  Only took me 3 hours to update both clients, but works wonderfully now!  I didn't have the freezing issue too badly, but I also didn't try to move much when I first got it running.  I was actually able to repair the second client while running the first.

Yep, I've had that identical issue... When I first updated, loading screens were never-ending and the game ran SPF, rather than FPS.  However, I just stood up and left the client running on an alt for about half and hour, and came back to play smooth and easy :D

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:56:28 pm »
It only took me about 10 minutes to get everything smoothed out.  I still load a bit more jerkily than before, but never takes more than about 10 seconds to get going.  I never had the uber long loading period. 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »
I had that the first time I tried to load it up.. Since then, I think they've actually been quicker  :sorcerer:

Mexico20

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:04:00 am »
Hey i am having an issue with the game freezing. It happens right when i get to play the game or right after i get to play for a couple of minutes. At the could not load plugin chrystalspace something. I dont know how to run the configuration thing because i dont have pssetup or psupdate in my file. I have redownloaded it a couple of times and i still didnt get those applications. I need help and hurry!