Author Topic: If I updated my Mac  (Read 607 times)

bbPandass

• Traveller
  • & That is physics.
    • View Profile
If I updated my Mac
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »
Sorry, just wondering if I would still be able to play PlaneShift, if I updated the version of my mac, which, I really need to do.
Right now; I have my lovely; 24 inch iMac OS X - Version 10.5.8
I have sort of been eyeing the Leopard and Lion .
I also want to get some more memory cards. [of topic if i have more memory will my computer over heat slower? or is memory not the issue there... Even so I still want more memory, Sims 3 is slowly hogging it all up]

Or maybe, I buy the updates, + a Windows laptop [?] and... [kill myself] uhm scratch that... [kill myself] and use my iMac for my Photography.

I could have probably found the answer on my own, eventually, or just figured it out,
from trial and error, but I wanted other peoples opinions if you please?
No matter how long I have been around, I well Always be a nub.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: If I updated my Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 07:06:04 pm »
I am using a Mac pro running OSX 10.7.2 with 12 Gigs of memory and Planeshift runs fine. The only issues for me have been.

1) I use to be able to run the game with the enable VBO box checked in the pslaunch graphics settings and once I went to 10.7 I had to uncheck that box. The game would crash while loading until I unchecked that box.

2) In OSX 10.7 the library files are hidden so you have to learn how to unhide the library files if you need to get to your logs or stored books or other files in the PS folder there.

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:27:15 am »
Hello, I have a MacBook 6,1, upgraded with 8Gb of ram instead of the 2 original ones. PS run really fine, except I have to disable weather to get rid of a minor issue. I have all set to high (textures, shaders and particles) and is very smooth, also load screens are faster than before.

P.S.: if you plan to add more ram, I suggest you to avoid the Apple store, it has prices too much high. I bought from other (famous) online shop, and I have saved lots of money!!

Hemmel Voldweith

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »
Concerning updating Mac OS...the process leaves the ~/Library/Application Support files intact, doesn't it?
Do not meddle in things you wouldn't want to know.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 03:40:08 pm »
I believe so, Hemmel. Yes indeedy do.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:55 pm »
Don't go past Snow Leopard. Trust me.

Sincerely, a Mac OS X "Mountain Lion" user.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Hemmel Voldweith

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »
I'm running Lion 10.7.4 with almost no problems. Sound is a bit glitchy, though.
Do not meddle in things you wouldn't want to know.