Author Topic: Crashes when selecting race  (Read 912 times)

caseydun

• Wayfarer
  • Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope
    • View Profile
    • Loneliest creature
Crashes when selecting race
« on: April 22, 2014, 06:26:24 pm »
Ok, so. I have Planeshift downloaded and installed on this macbook with 10.5.8 OS, and it runs quite nicely right up to the point where i click on a race. I figured this might have to do with my graphics card (not sure what kind it is at the moment) so i went in and tried to change that one config line by erasing the semicolon and saving the document. But that doesnt save because it saves it does not exist. So i moved it to the desktop, fixed it up by deleting the semicolon, but then the file wont go into the folder and it says planeshift config cant be edited. even though it tells you to edit it. so, i just really want to get to roleplaying, so if you know how to edit the text correctly or fix this issue, itd be much appreciated.  :sorcerer:
My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes when selecting race
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 02:09:29 am »
I figured this might have to do with my graphics card (not sure what kind it is at the moment)

Absolutely most important to know.

but then the file wont go into the folder and it says planeshift config cant be edited.

Did you install PlaneShift by pulling it out of the DMG archive into the Applications folder? You certainly can't edit a file inside a DMG archive; if at all, only the unpacked copy (if you have the permissions; due to the creativity of malware authors, operating systems have to be very protective about files in their Applications area).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

caseydun

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
    • Loneliest creature
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »
Its a 2.16 GHz intel core 2 Duo, and i just left all of planeshift in its folder that it was in when it finished downloading. Should i move it somewhere? and where to

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »
As rather usual for a Macintosh application, you should drag it out of the downloaded DMG archive, into the "Applications" folder of your OS.

Unfortunately, "intel Core 2 Duo" doesn't tell much about the graphic chipset. But if it is an intel Integrated Graphics Processor (GMA 9xx), your chances are low that you would make PlaneShift run successfully. PlaneShift requires gaming graphic chips, the OpenGL support of intel IGPs (except HD graphics of modern Core i#) is in general "substandard".
__

Please do not exaggerate your forum signature image. There are some limitations.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:07:30 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

caseydun

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
    • Loneliest creature
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:18:48 pm »
Its a GMA950. :( so would i have to buy a better gaming graphics card for my laptop? and if so any suggestions?

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:02 pm »
GMA950 isn't supported. I was able to get PS working on my mac book sometimes, but like all unsupported graphics cards, it was prone to game shattering bugs. Getting a new graphics card in a mac book will be hard, as I believe the graphics card is integrated. You'd have to get a whole new motherboard, and at that point it would be cheaper to get a new computer. You can fool around with the settings and see if you can make something work, but it is unlikely that it will make much of a difference.
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 04:32:57 am »
Would it be possible for one to disable GLSL on a Mac? That may do the trick.

caseydun

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
    • Loneliest creature
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 12:58:48 am »
My mac died. Welcome new laptop. Im proud to say your..PC  \\o// :thumbup: ;D

popandrea

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 06:11:59 am »
Hello. I have a 2011 early MBP with 2.2 intel processor. It crashes every time when i'm trying to open the game. I have to manually restart the laptop. How can I fix this issue? Thank you!