Author Topic: CVS suggestion  (Read 1066 times)

Aerig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
CVS suggestion
« on: December 05, 2004, 04:56:55 pm »
Having tried to compile the source myself (unsuccessfully so far though I havent given up) and read a few of the posts in this forum, I\'d like to suggest that tarballs of the CS, CEL etc get included in the CVS once you have finished CB and are working on comprehensive build instructions.

I know that it is preferrable to use current distributions of support code, but building PS involves so many extra libraries that are also under continuing development that it would encourage, I think, more developers to work on PS if they did not have so many problems just trying to get the source compiled.

This would have the added advantage that you could provide a jamfile to compile PS and all support libs within the context of a tested and verified source tree that included both the game\'s source and the libs source.

So far, most of the problems I have come across in getting the source to compile have been related to ensuring that libraries and header files are actually being found and this has been a problem even when I have followed Andrew Craigs nice, clear instructions on how to build the source.

One other problem that I have come across is that Somewhere in the compilation process there is an attempt to include the file leakguard.h and it is simply not there. I susupect that the reason for this is that I am using a different version of CS or CEL than the one in use by the dev team.

That is admittedly a problem that I might have caused for myself by dowloading the released source for each of those libraries, rather than getting the source from their CVS.

Even so, it would be nice to know that I was using source code and librabries that were consistent with the ones in use by the PS dev team, if only because writing and debugging a project like PS is complex enough on its own without facing extraneous bugs such as could be caused by different devs using different versions of the support libs.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 05:10:46 pm »
Originally posted by Aerig
Having tried to compile the source myself (unsuccessfully so far though I havent given up) and read a few of the posts in this forum, I\'d like to suggest that tarballs of the CS, CEL etc get included in the CVS once you
have finished CB and are working on comprehensive build instructions.

We always use the latest CVS of all these projects in development.  I have a script that runs everyday to update and rebuild to the latest versions.

So far, most of the problems I have come across in getting the source to compile have been related to ensuring that libraries and header files are actually being found and this has been a problem even when I have followed Andrew Craigs nice, clear instructions on how to build the source.

The other night I was playing with my install of gentoo.  In about 3 hours went from pretty much a nothing system ( ie no sql, no jam etc ).  To a complete working development environment with a running server and client.  Now I of course have an advantage since I know the steps from memory but I did not hit any major problems that somebody couldn\'t solve.

One other problem that I have come across is that Somewhere in the compilation process there is an attempt to include the file leakguard.h and it is simply not there. I susupect that the reason for this is that I am using a different version of CS or CEL than the one in use by the dev team.

That is admittedly a problem that I might have caused for myself by dowloading the released source for each of those libraries, rather than getting the source from their CVS.

Always use the CVS versions.  

Even so, it would be nice to know that I was using source code and librabries that were consistent with the ones in use by the PS dev team, if only because writing and debugging a project like PS is complex enough on its own without facing extraneous bugs such as could be caused by different devs using different versions of the support libs.

Again, us only the CVS versions of CAL3D/CS/CEL/PS.  If there are any specific compile problems the I can help solve those.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Aerig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 07:19:49 pm »
Lol, I\'m doing it properly now ;) got all the CVS and recompiling atm.

I have so far only come across one strange problem

... failed for lack of libcstool.a

I would have thought that it would be part of the dependencies, but they seem to get created on a second run of jam?

I am currently trying to compile under Cygwin and would appreciate any advice that anyone might have on doing that suiccessfully (I read the post about cygwin probs but decided to try anyway just in case I could do it by borrowing headers and libs from mingw)

Alternatively I could try using MSVC 6. Do you know if PS will compile that way?

Also do you know which project file I would need to use for the top of the compilation tree if I do end up having to use MSVC?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 07:27:17 pm by Aerig »

Templer25

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 01:15:10 pm »
hi,

i was wondering if you are using the current cvs version of cal3d. It seems that they just changed the create and destroy functions, so that the CS code is incompatible.

I couldnt get it to work, and i cant find a cal3d version that works with CS.

Should i just wait, or can i get a working version of cal3d from somewhere?

Androgos

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 02:01:32 pm »
Just a notice: If you want to debug or try the ?ber updater (:P) you will need libcurl too

As for the cal3d issue, wait and see

Aerig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 03:35:41 pm »
Got libcurl I think and cal3d was easiest to compile, though I\'ve not checked any programs that might have compiled with it

Templer25

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:16:23 pm »
yes, cal3d itself it compiling fine, just make shure CS get\'s compiled with cal3d :)