Author Topic: New Release = ?  (Read 1658 times)

Aerig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
New Release = ?
« on: December 16, 2004, 08:51:02 pm »
With CB imminent, how soon can we expect a build guide?

I think I spent a week learning the basic build process and then finally gave up when it began to become apparent that getting MySQL to compile under Cygwin would be a project all on its own.

This is something that I find really frustrating, though its obviously not the fault of the PS team that Cygwin cant handle the MySql compile ;)

That does not mean that I have given up my attempts to get PS compiled on Windows XP, but it is obvious that a windows specific guide would be very useful to the half of the programming community that would like to be able to compile the source and possibly add to it.

In my case, I was seriously considering learning C++, in spite of fairly heavy RL obligations, if only so that I could contribute the ideas that I mentioned (in my thread Implementation ideas) in a form that would be more immediately useable by the team currently developing the game.

In spite of having had MSVC6 for about 3 years, I am completely unfamiliar with how to build anything more than simple projects using it and, if that is the easiest platform to compile PS on on a Windows machine, then I would love to see a full guide, along the same lines as A Craig\'s nice clear linux guide, on how to do that .

If anyone currently working on PS development can afford the time to provide complete instructions on how to compile PS using Cygwin, MingW or MSVC I woud really appreciate the opportunity to be able to tinker with the source to see if I could come up with anything that you guys would like to include in the game.

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 09:18:19 pm »
I can\'t help you, but I\'m just wondering why do people try to build for XP? I have XP Pro and MB ran without a hitch......

Keknehv

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 10:37:02 pm »
Frardra: I think he\'s trying to compile the server on Windows.

And right there, Aerig, you may be out of luck. MySQL was not designed for Windows. Windows was not (natively) designed for servers.

Trust me, re-partitioning your hard drive and dual-booting into linux would be easier than attempting to compile MySQL with Cygwin.
root@stupidadmins:/ #  rm -r *

Originally posted by sesmi
my start bar thingie has moved from the bottom of the screen to the side!!!!! how do i make it go back!!!! help please!!!!!! i\'m sorry this is in the wrong forum but i\'m panicing!!!!!!

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 10:40:16 pm »
Ah I see now, noobish me... thanks for the explanation.

Androgos

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 10:55:13 am »
You know we have guides how to build it under windows right?

Don\'t think we have any guide for Cygwin, but why not use MiniGW? It\'s free and stuff and I even think it\'s based on Cygwin

docs/compiling-mingw32.txt

swift

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 11:13:03 pm »
I found it was easier to compile on dual boot linux instead of cygwin/mingw.   If you don\'t want to repartion disk just use knoppix.
Ingame Names (CB) : Calcius Sakor, Timgiffney Calcior

Aerig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 09:41:05 am »
Thanks for all those replies. I\'ll start checking them out one by one now ;)

markie

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 05:26:48 pm »
Is it actually necessary to build MySQL from source (I have no idea..)? Can\'t you just use the binary?

http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-4.1/mysql-4.1.8-win.zip/from/pick

Aerig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 10:26:44 am »
If you can use the MySQL binaries with Cygwin then I am having problems doing it, I suspect because the .lib format is a different linker format used by GCC.

If there is a utility to convert .lib to .a and anyone knows about it, please let me know, I would much rather compile under Cygwin.

That said, I am about halfway through compiling CS using MSVC, the fact that I am having to download so many supprt libs and comile them first being the main reason for the slow progress on that.

Again, many thanks to the people above who pointed me in the right direction to get started on that.