Author Topic: Request for Webdeveloper  (Read 11061 times)

Geri

• Wayfarer
  • a.k.a. Dandra Enlite & Minix Tombro
    • View Profile
    • German PlaneShift Community
Re: Request for Webdeveloper
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 08:40:08 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm willing to contribute to the web developing.

Equipment:

1) Own web server: no problem
2) Own mysql server: no problem

Skills:

1) PHP: Yes. See what i developed on Wikipedia's tool server: http://tools.wikimedia.de/~geridev/cff/. Doesn't look too impressive, agreed. But it's developed completely object-oriented, as far as PHP supports it. (That's intrinsic as a Sun Certified Java Developer :-) I can supply you with the source, if you like.

2) Web dev: Designing usable user interfaces: yes. Playing around with fancy, sophisticated graphics: no. I'm a developer, not an artist.

3) "Graphic skills" from a technical or artistic point of view? (see above)

4) MySQL: RDBMS designer/developer with Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL since/for years.

I entered an application at the Nexus a few months ago, but never got any response. (I don't even remember my account info...yes I know, shame on me, but after a few weeks of waiting I forgot about it. )

Hopefully this is a new chance. It would be a pleasure for me to join the team.

Geri

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 09:26:55 pm »
Sorry about the delay, life and all that :)

Still looking to get something going here.  Just not sure of the best way to go about.  Basically we have several areas that need attention.
1)  The hydlaa.com server site.  This really needs a full time web manager to keep it up to date and add new stuff to it. 
2)  The laanx server site.  This site can be pretty brief and just needs to show the various stats that are available for the server
3)  The 'serverconsole'  This is how we control the game and right now is a web based system that allows us to do all the neat things like add new npcs, new quests, items, etc.  This is the workhorse of the settings team but right now it sucks and it's making their job a lot harder.  So this is the main area that we need help in.   

We can start some discussion here on any and all of the areas.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Geri

• Wayfarer
  • a.k.a. Dandra Enlite & Minix Tombro
    • View Profile
    • German PlaneShift Community
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 05:16:02 pm »
Life and all that? I still have that, too  :-)

1) Beginning mid of Nov it depends whether I'm available full time. The project I worked on for the last 1.5 years is finished and and I'll have to look for a new job then. If this takes longer I can spend my full time for... how long? It depends, as well... on how intense I search and on the respond(s).

2) Laanx shows the stats already, doesn't it? OK, sometimes with delayed up-to-dateness. What is to do/planned there?

3) The Server Concole is also the main issue I targeted with my reply.

What I did so far:

- I downloaded /planeshift/SC/ put it to my htdocs, adapted *settings.php to my local system
- I downloaded /planeshift/planeshift/src/server/database/mysql and used it to create the MySQL tables
- ps_dev_doc.zip was helpful, as well

- Running the SC I detected that some tables (sys_privileges, sys_modules, sys_programs) and a field within a table (banned_until in accounts) are missing
- I created the table sys_privileges and the missing field from infos I found in the XML-files in .../SC/schemas

Now I'm stuck, since sys_modules & sys_programs are still missing, and I do not have a clue how they should look like in detail. I extracted at least the column names from database.php (sys_modules: "rcdid", "display_name", "sys_name", "sequence" and sys_programs: "rcdid", "display_name", "sys_name", "sequence", "parent_id"). I can guess that the IDs are INTEGER and the names are VARCHAR. But, as a programmer since decades (NO, I am not THAT old...it's just 2 decades :-) I prefer formalism rather than guessing. I wonder how grumpytoad could setup a working environment? What does she/he know/have which I don't? However, even knowing the table layout would not help too much, since these tables obviuosly contain the infos for the menu structure in the navigation area to the left. And my clue is even lesser which menus and sub-menus should be there.

BTW, I saw some things in the DB design where I asked myself, whether this is a cool trick I was not aware of, or whether this was just a...hmmm...unlucky design decision. Who is the one who knows about the DB and its design, so that I can direct my questions to her/him?

"And now to something completely different...":

Does the SC have to be in PHP? I think "...requires a complete overhaul and redesign." allows, maybe even requires, such a question to be taken seriously. You surely know that canning sometimes is the best way to begin a phase of evolvement in SW design.

I'm not surprised that the SC obviuosly lacks a few things. The WWW was originally not designed to support highly interactive applications with quickly reacting user interfaces to enter lots of information real-time. It's intention was to spread information worldwide, in no time, that's it. All the pretty things we have nowadays are just add-ons to a system which was not designed for such add-ons. Great that all the things work how they work, but it still has limits. And it's the hard job of programmers to break these limits - and I really mean: break.

So, what about something else, which is designed for such apps, is strong in networking, is platform independent, well-known, well-supported, with great IDEs available, which can be run with a click from a web page? Java, for instance. (Look here what i'm working on at the moment.)

If you don't like the idea in general I would like to suggest the following:

- We take a part of the SC which is not too complex (the smaller, the better) and which is more or less independent of the rest
- We (I, to be precise) port this to Java (including wishes and suggestions from the people which work with it)
- We start a test phase, see how it works, and decide then
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:32:14 pm by Geri »

evesun

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Webdeveloper - What language?
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 10:10:02 pm »
Do you have any programming constraints on the development language?  I mean should it run on your standard apache server (perl / php only) or is there a possibility to host in a Java container like Tomcat or JBoss?  I'm still kinda new to php (two professional projects, about 6 months experience), but I've been writing Java-based websites since 1999.  If I could use a J2EE container like, say, Apache Tomcat, I probably could do something very nice and it wouldn't take too long.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Request for Webdeveloper - What language?
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 07:12:13 am »
Do you have any programming constraints on the development language?  I mean should it run on your standard apache server (perl / php only) or is there a possibility to host in a Java container like Tomcat or JBoss?  I'm still kinda new to php (two professional projects, about 6 months experience), but I've been writing Java-based websites since 1999.  If I could use a J2EE container like, say, Apache Tomcat, I probably could do something very nice and it wouldn't take too long.

IMO and i am not a dev that has access to this webconsole on laanx, i would rather it not run in a special java container, i do run the web console locally as it is available to the public and if it worked better and did not have special requirements i would continue to use it in my efforts to find and try to fix bugs. Several of the other testers i bet would use it more often as well if it worked better but not requiring special things to get it running, as it is we have to make sure ps works and taking extra time to get a web console running is something that many of us just dont have time to do. We would rather just use our normal apache installs and have it run so we can focus on bugs and enjoying the game in what time we do spend on ps.

neko kyouran

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 08:35:11 am »
java support is pretty much standard across all OS platforms now a days caarrie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)#Platform_independence
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:38:32 am by neko kyouran »

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:15 am »
java support is pretty much standard across all OS platforms now a days caarrie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)#Platform_independence

i know that but this person was asking for something to be added to apache that i dont want that feature added

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 10:26:09 am »
short answer to the question: ask acriag.

longer answer: less fancy stuff to break the better.
additional answer: if it will add any load to the server, it may not be a good idea. it is already having a few issues with the npc client. right now everything sits on the same box.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 03:56:01 pm »
Apache Tomcat is a standalone webserver, not some "add-on" to Apache (such as the case with PHP).  I use Apache Tomcat quite a bit in work.  Since acraig says he wants everything redone, I am wondering if he had in mind to ditch Apache and use Apache Tomcat instead.

TomT

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 04:27:04 pm »
I think Tomcat is a viable option for a rewrite - since this is the third attempt that I am aware of for rewriting the console - probably more important then the technologies is that we find someone with some skill who can commit the time needed to create a usable application.

If you think you fit the bill - please contact acraig :)

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 06:41:11 pm »
Thought I would mention there is also discussion on this thread.  As we can see, there are obviously many people who are familiar with making servlets in Java.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:30 pm »
(five months later) acraig, any news or updates on this?  I've a few comments I can add, but I don't know what direction you're taking.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 02:34:28 pm »
I've sort of lost track of it myself.

I know that here has been some work done in developing a new web based server console to manage the game.   Honestly though, I don't really have the time to keep track of this though.  I can help people out with questions they have but in terms of developing a long term strategy, I don't have the time to do that.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Edicho

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 02:46:15 pm »
If this is still alive as idea, I'm up to task as webdeveloper. i guess my php skills are great enough to manage.

However, i need everything put straight. Otherwise there's no chance in finishing it quickly. If you need to test my skills, let me know what you need to be done and you will have test results in less than 48 hours i guess.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 09:46:25 am »
Just a small update to this thread, a new dev webconsole has been checked into svn so for now i am not sure that there is still a need for someone to work on that. BUT if someone has time to make more tools for planeshift including irc bots let us know and we can let you know what interests we have. This does include many of the teams that work together and need tools to let others have access to info that may or may not be 100% public.