Author Topic: 5 major issues that I see facing the PS codebase  (Read 823 times)

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
5 major issues that I see facing the PS codebase
« on: August 04, 2007, 05:44:53 pm »
I am seeing 5 major issues right now that are acting as balls and chains around the legs of us PS developers, and here they are along with long-term solution ideas.  Comments?  Questions?  Suggested solutions?  Or am I out of my mind?

• Problem: Documentation (or the lack thereof)
    Solution suggestion:  D.E. Knuth's Literate Programming ideology.  It simply makes sense to me.
  • Problem: Entity System Mass Confusion (and code duplication)
    Solution suggestion:  Make a choice between rolling our own entity system (what GEM sort of is) and using CEL.
  • Problem: Utility classes in CS that aren't as useful as you'd first think
    Solution suggestion:  Talk Jorrit into dumping them in 1.4.  They are just adding to his maintenance headaches right now, as the STL (as of TR1) contains most of that stuff anyhow.
  • Problem: Uncontrolled Class Proliferation
    Solution suggestion:  Re-engineer the upper (game logic) layer of the PS code.  We do not need manager classes for everything but the kitchen sink!
  • Problem: Objects Run Amok
    Solution suggestion:  Replace the messy CS refcounting mechanism with something that is much cleaner to use.  (pointer-like objects should not intrude on the pointee's interface, and csRef<> does)

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 5 major issues that I see facing the PS codebase
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 05:55:43 pm »
They are all fine ideas but they require a lot of work.  In order to do a 'proper' design it is a full time job.  I know that some of us have full time jobs programming and then doing another serveral hours a night on PlaneShift is not always possible.  I'll try to give some points on each of them.

Solution suggestion:  D.E. Knuth's Literate Programming ideology.  It simply makes sense to me.
If we updated our Doxygen stuff that would be a good step at least.

Solution suggestion:  Make a choice between rolling our own entity system (what GEM sort of is) and using CEL.
When we started to use CEL it was very young but we thought it would grow quickly.   It's only in the last little while that CEL has received some attention from Jorrit.  In our case we have removed a fair bit of CEL from the PlaneShift code base.  Maybe at some point we will remove all links into CEL ( which is what GEM started to do ).

Solution suggestion:  Talk Jorrit into dumping them in 1.4.  They are just adding to his maintenance headaches right now, as the STL (as of TR1) contains most of that stuff anyhow.
At the time CS was supported on platforms that did not support STL.  I think support for those platforms has been dropped so we can probably use a bit more STL stuff.

Solution suggestion:  Re-engineer the upper (game logic) layer of the PS code.  We do not need manager classes for everything but the kitchen sink!
    Solution suggestion:  Replace the messy CS refcounting mechanism with something that is much cleaner to use.  (pointer-like objects should not intrude on the pointee's interface, and csRef<> does)

These two are the big ones and require a lot of thought and design decisions to be made. Many classes are not a bad thing but I think a lot of our classes are not 'self sufficient' enough and a lot of classes depend on a lot of other ones.   This is something that we try to fix periodically but it can be difficult to do. 

Either way I think we know that there are several issues with the code base and a lot of times we implement something and realize later that it was a pretty poor system.  But replacing it can be a large task but one that we have done and will do again in the future.

----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: 5 major issues that I see facing the PS codebase
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 06:30:42 pm »
They are all fine ideas but they require a lot of work.  In order to do a 'proper' design it is a full time job.  I know that some of us have full time jobs programming and then doing another serveral hours a night on PlaneShift is not always possible.  I'll try to give some points on each of them.

If we updated our Doxygen stuff that would be a good step at least.
Yes, very true; Doxygen cannot capture much of the high-level (design-related) documentation that we need in a PS-sized project, though.

When we started to use CEL it was very young but we thought it would grow quickly.   It's only in the last little while that CEL has received some attention from Jorrit.  In our case we have removed a fair bit of CEL from the PlaneShift code base.  Maybe at some point we will remove all links into CEL ( which is what GEM started to do ).
Yes...that is something that we should develop further, right now we only use CEL as glue to CS itself.

At the time CS was supported on platforms that did not support STL.  I think support for those platforms has been dropped so we can probably use a bit more STL stuff.
a) what platforms are you speaking of?
b) yeah, go ahead and use the STL, it won't hurt my feelings one bit ;)

These two are the big ones and require a lot of thought and design decisions to be made. Many classes are not a bad thing but I think a lot of our classes are not 'self sufficient' enough and a lot of classes depend on a lot of other ones.   This is something that we try to fix periodically but it can be difficult to do. 

Either way I think we know that there are several issues with the code base and a lot of times we implement something and realize later that it was a pretty poor system.  But replacing it can be a large task but one that we have done and will do again in the future.

Yes.  We have several thorny dependency nets in addition to some rather unnecessary (IMO) classes (BanManager?) on our hands.  Untangling many of those dependencies will be a good long-term project for PS; also, as far as the refcounting issues go, that is something that Jorrit will have to help us fix.  csRef<> is a bad design IMO as it imposes several requirements on the interface of what it points to (try instantiating csRef<int> and you will see what I mean); as for a replacement, the TR1 shared_ptr<> would work pretty well as far as I know.