Author Topic: Request for Wiki Editors  (Read 3740 times)

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Request for Wiki Editors
« on: July 16, 2008, 05:17:39 pm »
I have setup doc.hydlaa.com in an attempt to develop some documentation about PlaneShift the engine.   However, right now it's pretty just me adding some details here and there.   What is needed are people to be editors to keep the pages organized and making sense and some people to start adding some of the required pages.     Right now I am not sure what required pages are but once people start adding pages I can start to add in details.   Maybe a good page to add would be a "Request" page then I can read those and start adding in some of the requested pages.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
Re: Request for Wiki Editors
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:32:38 pm »
Maybe a good page to add would be a "Request" page then I can read those and start adding in some of the requested pages.
Done.  Please append to.

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:38:13 pm »
Having registered for an account (bilbous) on the wiki, I would like to suggest that if possible it might be good idea if the email confirmation letter be a little more descriptive than just
with this e-mail address on PlaneShift.
in the subject line and the body of the email to indicate which portion of the site is being referenced, in this case the doc wiki.

Also I see my proposed edit was partially adopted but not the part that initially prompted to register. I do not quite understand the "nothing better than" statement in the coding standards page. This phrase is a superlative but what follows it is an undesirable practice.

I would have made my comments in the discussion page where I placed my proposed edit but you took what you found acceptable without comment.

I do not see myself contributing too much to this wiki as it appears to be more a coders resource than a general interest one. I do not have the knowledge to make substantive additions and for the most part stylistic (grammar and spelling) ones should be left to those who will be using it.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:31:25 am »
I didn't understand the context when I read the discussion page last night.  It makes sense this morning now and have removed that line.  As for the descriptor email I will see what I can do there.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Prolix

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:09 am »
Thank you and good luck with this initiative.  8)

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:29 pm »
Thought I would bring up that I wrote a tutorial on how to create your own window using PAWS.  It isn't much but least it's a start for anyone who wants to work on more advanced GUI windows for psclient.  Also I don't understand half of this so feel free to modify it, and if anyone wants more tutorials like this then please request them.

Also if anyone wants something to do then I would be glad to give you a task on this docs wiki that don't require much (if any) knowledge of the source code.

EDIT:  Added another tutorial on how to bind a window to the toolbar widget.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:01:04 am by Tuxide »

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 02:53:20 pm »
The problem is that making mods like those is rather pointless unless you can get them all committed, or you'd be the only one profiting from your work. I'm working on some patches to make PS more moddable, including binding windows to the toolbar without editing code. However, you need to slap Ragnarin if you want that committed because he has the code for review for a week now :P
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 03:07:41 pm »
I intend this more for people who want to use PlaneShift-the-engine for their own projects, since those are the kind of people who are annoyed by there being lack of such documentation.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 03:13:26 pm »
The number of those people is quite low, but the explanations may be useful anyhow for those not initiated in the ways of PAWS :)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »
the url for the wiki has been moved to http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/doc/index.php?title=Main_Page

Getoran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 01:06:12 pm »
Is there a way to upload pictures to the wiki?

I could upload them to some picturesite and link them but I think it would be better to have all documentation in one place.

Getoran