Author Topic: 3D modeling  (Read 1135 times)

Linuus

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
3D modeling
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:24 pm »
Hi my name is Linus Lindberg, from Sweden.
The last years I've been very interested in 3D modeling, but I haven't made any models for computer games however. Therefore I would like to take a look at the models of the game, how detailed the models are and how much is done with textures and such, so I myself could learn some things from them, how to model for games.
So I was wondering if you could download the files somewhere, or at least a couple of sample models. I'm not going to use them for anything but studying them.

That would be great.

Thanks for answers :)

BTW: I don't know if this is the ideal subforum for this kind of questions, feel free to move the thread.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 3D modeling
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:35:26 pm »
BTW: I don't know if this is the ideal subforum for this kind of questions, feel free to move the thread.

It's probably better in the development area, but then who cares?

Most of the PS models are needing a re-look as players are wanting to be able to wear cloths and what have you, this means they need to re-texture most of the models.

I am sure you can grab them off the client somehow if you are smart enough. I think my bother did that for the statue he made in Dsar Kore. But I'm sure Talad would send them to you, if you are prepared to contribute.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:53:45 am »
The models we have in PlaneShift are in the CrystalSpace 3D engine's native format. That means it will hardly be possible to convert them back to something editable if you don't know exactly how.

Simple meshes were often created using Blender. More complex models sometimes need to be made with 3DStudio Max because sceletal animations or portals between world maps are better supported by its exporter to the CS format, but not by B2CS for Blender.

If you are interested in the development of PlaneShift, you may get recruited, see the Developer Recruitment page. But the Atomic Blue license contains a non-disclosure agreement, because the source code of the PlaneShift game engine may be OpenSource ... but the art and database content (what makes the game the game) are copyright protected. So you will probably not get access to all the original models and textures.

The release textures in DDS format are in art/materials.zip of the game installation; the items are in art/meshes.zip, the world maps in art/world.zip ... but in a more or less game-read-only format.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Chucki

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:02:43 am »
nVidia released some Photoshop plugins to import DDS images into Photoshop.

Character meshes can be imported into Blender, I'm not sure, but I should still have the Windows converter around my hard drive somewhere. Non-animated meshes are in another format that has no importer.

Hang out in IRC and I'll be sure to catch up with you sometime.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »
But the Atomic Blue license contains a non-disclosure agreement, because the source code of the PlaneShift game engine may be OpenSource ... but the art and database content (what makes the game the game) are copyright protected.

Although the art directory content, of the downloadable PS engine, are clearly marked to be under the Atomic Blue license; this is not so clear with the src/server/database directory content. Could anyone clarify that? That is, is the content to the mysql directory different than what is used in PS, the Game, and not under copyright or was it just somehow missed by me; or perhaps by someone putting the package together?

- Nova

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:53:12 pm »
svn is under GPLV2

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile