Author Topic: PlaneShift as a start into game programming?  (Read 787 times)

Starset

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PlaneShift as a start into game programming?
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:23:30 pm »
Hello there. I am a beginner user who studies c++ since some months.
I would like to study the game structure (mostly server-side) of MMORPGs, but I have no idea where to start.
Since I've found this open-source MMORPG I would like to study its structure.
The problem is that I have never worked with so many files (I've seen the code already).

What do you suggest? Can you give me some tips?
I would like to start with something small in the game (eg. editing the code for personal purposes [on my personal client]), what do you suggest?

Thank you,
Starset

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: PlaneShift as a start into game programming?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 04:43:59 pm »
#planeshift-dev might be a good place to camp. but be aware it isn't going to be anything near real time.. or at least it wasn't when i was last through. i know there is additional documentation somewhere. i think some of it lays out the module interactions.

that all being said there is a major engine overhaul happening, so anytime you invest in the code now will have to be redone later. but the general outlines of the code probably won't change to much.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:10:56 am »

just for the record, the developers channel is most certainly not the right place to go (restricted access).
the -build channel is a good place if you need help building the project (which would be pretty much a basic requirement if you want to play with the code).

If you want to contribute to the game, there are other channels, but if you want to just study it, #planeshift-build (or the forums) is pretty much it.

As for the original question, it depends on *what* you want to study. You could start at the netmanager and work your way through the various sections of code just as a package would, but if you mainly care for crafting, you could also fast-forward to that section (or follow crafting specific messages as they go through the code).
Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:12:14 am »
right. forgot about -dev vs -build... it's been a while since I've had to think about such things.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:30:08 pm »
It might be good idea to join #planeshift aswell, some people who know stuff hang out there while not being in #planeshift-build.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:20:08 pm »
While I guess the actual code base is not the best sandbox for getting started, I remember there was lot of documentation material floating around. E.g. descriptions for GSoC projects and the engine documentation stuff on the PS wiki. I also remember some nice slides about the design of the game and networking, but I have no clue where you can find that right now.

Eonwind

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:10:33 am »
While I guess the actual code base is not the best sandbox for getting started, I remember there was lot of documentation material floating around. E.g. descriptions for GSoC projects and the engine documentation stuff on the PS wiki. I also remember some nice slides about the design of the game and networking, but I have no clue where you can find that right now.

For the design related documentation you can start from here: http://planeshift.top-ix.it/pswiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 02:47:39 pm »
Ah, right, the slides I had in mind are also among the "Engine Document Downloads" there. Wow, 2008, has that really been so long ago? Oh, well...