Author Topic: Compiling Help  (Read 1896 times)

Ikarsik

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Compiling Help
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:29:30 am »
Im using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET to compile and i know nothing about compiling... can anyone tell me exactly what projects need to be compiled and which ones need to be left out when compiling CEL,CS,Planeshift. I get a whole lot of errors when trying to compile all the projects brought up do i just compile one or use a different compiler e.g. c++ or CVS?

galatnm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 03:39:00 am »
You must compile projects in this order :
1. CS
2. CEL
3. Planeshift

In each project\'s subdirectory, you can find documentation that explain how to compile and what dependencies you need. I suggest you compile first molecular blue release to understand how to compile whole project (you can find a complete compiling.txt on planeshift\'s directory). When you succeed on that, try the same with last CVS code of each project.
\"In this world, there are no obvious, only assumptions.\" --- Norhawk :: Chief enchanter in blitzers ---

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 03:57:43 am »
For the latest version you\'ll also need the CVS of Cal3d. ;)
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Ikarsik

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 03:30:47 pm »
does the cal3d cvs source come from the planeshift cvsroot or a cal3d cvsroot or anything else

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 04:42:24 pm »
You said it yourself, you don\'t know anything about compiling, so follow galatnm\'s advice and compile MB first. It\'s easier, working and has working  instructions(tech forum).
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Ikarsik

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:23:35 am »
ok ok where do i start compiling ? i know i need to compile CS and CEL before compiling Planeshift. When i compile CEL and CS i get a lot of errors. I have 245 build errors when compiling CS and er... that cant be good.
all the errors are fatal errors half link errors half no such file or directory errors except 2 which are just errors. anyone wanna help me?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 01:30:57 am by Ikarsik »

Xandria

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 02:27:45 am »
Ikarsik,

First of all, from what I understand from the \"Mandate,\" this forum should be limited to discussions about either developing for PS or *specific* build problems.  Judging from \"This is NOT a good place to learn how to program (Acraig)\" my guess is that the devs intend for people to have a basic idea of what the heck they\'re trying to do before posting in this forum complaing that nothing works.

[/RANT]

Now, I would suggest that you follow these basic steps*:

1) Use the commands on this page to download the CVS source code (all you care about are the lines that have a \"cvs\" command at the front).  This document becomes important later on once you get the whole thing compiled, but just worry about getting it running first.

Basically:

Code: [Select]

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/crystal login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/crystal co CS

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cel login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cel co cel

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/planeshift login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/planeshift co planeshift

And just hit enter if it asks for a password (there is no password for anonymous access)

2) Go to this page which is the basic docuentation for building CS with MSVC 7.  Most of it you can ignore, *EXCEPT* for the first part about \"msvc7_libs - Required.\"  Download either one of those links (the only difference between the two is Python, but you can safely ignore any build errors relating to Python projects because PS doesn\'t use them) and follow the instructions for installing them.

3) You need to get the Cal3D library before you do anything else.  Get the CVS version just like you did the rest of them:

Code: [Select]

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cal3d login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cal3d co cal3d

4) Build Cal3D, then CS, then CEL, then PS

5) There *is* no step number 5 :D

6) Follow the instructions using the link from Step 1 to install the database and get everything else configured correctly.

7) If you have any build problems during step 4, or can\'t figure out on your own how to do steps 1-3 (or 6), your *best* bet is to get onto the developer IRC channel (#planeshift on irc.freenode.net) and ask a dev there.  They are usually willing to help you if you ask very nicely.

*DISCLAIMER: I am not a Planeshift developer.  I have compiled a few CVS versions with the help of the PS devs, and I have posted the basic steps I had to follow to get things working.  Do not hold me responsible, send me PM\'s, flame me via posts, come crying to my front door, or stalk me while I walk to class if my instructions do not work.  That is all.

How I set my timezone:

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Antarctica/Davis /etc/localtime