Author Topic: Client Side Testing  (Read 2571 times)

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Client Side Testing
« on: February 10, 2004, 07:31:43 pm »
I\'m currently working on making custom skins for the game and I\'m also deliberating on trying out custom meshes.

Much as I love doing this, it\'s a little inefficient to have to load up the game each and every time I make any skin adjustments. While I understand that I kinda have to load up the game, I hate having to wait to join the server.

Is there a better way? Maybe a command-line switch or loading up specific files into the CS engine client-side so I only have to view the model with it\'s new skin and some default lighting?

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 07:41:10 pm »
Well, the best solution for this would be for us to develop some extra tools that people can use to do this.  So it would load meshes and allow you to customize them.  There is an application in Crystal Space called view mesh that you can use but you need to build it yourself.   I think tools will be a high priority thing for next version ( after CB ) so would be good if you can figure out a good list of things you would like in that tool.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 09:46:13 pm »
haha. programming is totally out of my realm, hence why i do art. ;D

anyways, all i\'d need to do my thing is a model viewer of some sort. here\'s what i\'d like to see in such a tool:

1.resizable window, unlike the game. :(

2. one main window, but if possible an option to spawn other windows in it, so i can see it from multiple angles at once, but it\'s not THAT important. but i\'ve played with CS a little and i know that it\'s possible. i just don\'t know if each camera view is updated realtime or not.

3. i can  load up a model and/or model+skin. the ability to swap out skin parts, just like in the character creation part of the game client.

4. i can use the same basic controls as in the game to move the camera around, with the inclusion of being able to change the angle of the camera in relation to the model itself.

5. the ability to choose from a small set of simple textures and/or solid colour backgrounds as well as a black void.

6. the ability to create spotlights and or a well lit environment. i\'d also like to be able to adjust the volume and/or colour of the lights as well. being able to move the lighting as their own elements would be nice, but as long as i can move the model if i have to, i\'d be all good.

7. the ability to make the model go thru animations. either looped, once, or frame by frame. forward and reverse.

8. the ability to reload a skin and/or model without restarting the app. like a simple F5 binding. so if i update the skin/mesh in one program, and then save it, i can hit a button and see what changed.

you do all that and you might end up with someone kicking your door down and DEMANDING a spot on the team.

XD

Originally posted by acraig
Well, the best solution for this would be for us to develop some extra tools that people can use to do this.  So it would load meshes and allow you to customize them.  There is an application in Crystal Space called view mesh that you can use but you need to build it yourself.   I think tools will be a high priority thing for next version ( after CB ) so would be good if you can figure out a good list of things you would like in that tool.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 11:36:08 pm »
Well, viewmesh can do a lot of that already.  Look at this screenshot:

Here you can see where you can add/remove submeshs, and there are other options to rotate the camera around, do different actions ( ie Set Action Loop ) or even blend different animations together to see how they will look.

It would just be a matter of customizing this application for the PS environment and adding some more features.
----------
Andrew

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 01:15:09 am »
what off of my list *isn\'t* included in this viewmesh, what added functions would *you* think of adding?

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 09:21:21 am »
1) Easy changing of mesh textures
2) Loading more than 1 model at a time
3) Attaching second model to socket ( ie attach sword to hand )
4) Multiple views should be fairly easy.
----------
Andrew

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 02:32:36 pm »
whoa hey! i have viewmesh! i\'m going to need to poke at it and see what i can do.

are you actively developing these changes to viewmesh anytime soon or are you too busy with the next release of PS?

1) Easy changing of mesh textures
2) Loading more than 1 model at a time
3) Attaching second model to socket ( ie attach sword to hand )
4) Multiple views should be fairly easy.

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 03:34:45 pm »
They\'re busy with the next release! So leave \'em alone! :D

I\'d log on to #crystalspace and ask *those* devs if anything more is planned... ;)
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 04:11:25 pm »
oh, and how the freakin\' a do i load up these meshes into viewmesh?

i\'ve tried copying the model rar AND unrar\'d dir into a CS directory, and i\'ve tried to leave the CS directory from inside the viewmesh app...

i am teh saddest panda. :/

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 05:17:49 pm »
Originally posted by jcterminal
are you actively developing these changes to viewmesh anytime soon or are you too busy with the next release of PS?

No, I\'ve got way too much to do with my real job and to finish up in PS for the release.  I think that these tools will be a focus of mine after the release since we need to be able to create content quickly and easily.  Having tools like this available to the playing public can be a great asset I think.  

Keep in mind that the models have changed 100% for the Crystal Blue release so if you are working with the old textures then there may be a bit of loss there.
----------
Andrew

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 05:23:22 pm »
Originally posted by jcterminal

No, I\'ve got way too much to do with my real job and to finish up in PS for the release.  I think that these tools will be a focus of mine after the release since we need to be able to create content quickly and easily.  Having tools like this available to the playing public can be a great asset I think.  

Keep in mind that the models have changed 100% for the Crystal Blue release so if you are working with the old textures then there may be a bit of loss there.

crap!

thank god i save all my PSDs. ;D

so... how do you load up PS\'s resources locally into viewmesh?

Androgos

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 01:30:38 am »
In your Crystal Space folder:

Add the following to VFS.cfg:
VFS.Mount.planeshift = E:\\CVS\\planeshift
VFS.Mount.planeshift/models = E:\\CVS\\planeshift\\art\\models.zip

Where models.zip is the models compressed, duh

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 01:30:17 am »
Originally posted by Androgos
In your Crystal Space folder:

Add the following to VFS.cfg:
VFS.Mount.planeshift = E:\\CVS\\planeshift
VFS.Mount.planeshift/models = E:\\CVS\\planeshift\\art\\models.zip

Where models.zip is the models compressed, duh

excellent. thank you so much.

Killabazilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 03:30:39 pm »
Does anyone posess a Windows binary of viewmesh? This would be so unimaginably helpful. If you got one, please point to a place where it can be aquired.
KillaBazilla: Where low-poly really means LOW-poly.

galatnm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 03:39:30 am »
You can download a binary distribution directly from crystalspace or compile CS from sources.
\"In this world, there are no obvious, only assumptions.\" --- Norhawk :: Chief enchanter in blitzers ---