Author Topic: Cannot build libcssys.a for lack of libcssys.a?!?!?!?  (Read 1343 times)

thebryster

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Cannot build libcssys.a for lack of libcssys.a?!?!?!?
« on: February 16, 2004, 10:49:56 am »
I  am currently compiling Planeshift for my mac. I get as far as I can to where I jam the CS and it start building the libs and all that stuff... but when It gets to the cssys library it builds a few things then it builds OSXdelegate.o it then says that oOC failed. Then after a second when it trys to make libcssys.a it says: Cannot build libcssys.a for lack of libcssys.a(OSXdelegate) Please help me fix this! I am a mac gamer who cannot wait to play PS. I need to play this game!!!!!:D

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 11:03:25 am »
If you are talking about the latest CVS then the libcssys was merged into libcsutil.  In our project files for OSX we are probably still refering to them though.  Since we don\'t have any regular Mac developers it is a little harder for us to maintain those project files properly.  I can try a few blind fixes to see if that helps.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 01:13:15 pm »
It sounds like it\'s more a CS related problem than a Planeshift problem - are you using the shiniest and most current CVS checkout of CS that you possibly can?

I have not had any similar errors (either with CS or Planeshift) on my Mac (10.2.8)

Can you post a more detailed description of what went wrong? (i.e. the error message and command that it was attempting)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

thebryster

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 07:54:25 pm »
here is what happens when it trys to builds:
 MkDir1 ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/system.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXAssistant.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXConfigFile.o
OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXDelegate.o
/bin/sh: -c: command not found

-c -o ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXDelegate.o   -Ilibs/cssys -Ilibs/cssys/macosx -Ilibs/cssys/general -I./include -I. -I./include -I./plugins -I./apps -I./libs libs/cssys/macosx/OSXDelegate.m

...failed OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXDelegate.o ...
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXDynamicLibrary.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXGetUsername.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXInstallPath.o
OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXInstPath.o

-c -o ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXInstPath.o   -Ilibs/cssys -Ilibs/cssys/macosx -Ilibs/cssys/general -I./include -I. -I./include -I./plugins -I./apps -I./libs libs/cssys/macosx/OSXInstPath.m

...failed OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXInstPath.o ...
OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXLoadLibrary.o

-c -o ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXLoadLibrary.o   -Ilibs/cssys -Ilibs/cssys/macosx -Ilibs/cssys/general -I./include -I. -I./include -I./plugins -I./apps -I./libs libs/cssys/macosx/OSXLoadLibrary.m

...failed OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXLoadLibrary.o ...
OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXMenu.o

-c -o ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXMenu.o   -Ilibs/cssys -Ilibs/cssys/macosx -Ilibs/cssys/general -I./include -I. -I./include -I./plugins -I./apps -I./libs libs/cssys/macosx/OSXMenu.m

...failed OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXMenu.o ...
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXSystemDriver.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXTime.o
OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXUsername.o

-c -o ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXUsername.o   -Ilibs/cssys -Ilibs/cssys/macosx -Ilibs/cssys/general -I./include -I. -I./include -I./plugins -I./apps -I./libs libs/cssys/macosx/OSXUsername.m

...failed OCc ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/OSXUsername.o ...
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/findlib.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/getopt.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/printf.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/sysroot.o
C++ ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/cspthrd.o
...skipped libcssys.a for lack of libcssys.a(OSXDelegate.o)...

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 10:15:37 pm »
Are you using current CVS of CrystalSpace, the 0.96 release of crystal space, the MB version of crystalspace, or another version? The reason I ask is because as Acraig mentioned, the cssys library has been merged with another library, and also the rule that Jam is using (OCc) is not normal - usually I see \"ObjC\"

That together with the error points to an older version of CS with broken Jam files.  If you\'re attempting to do a build of CVS Planeshift, I would suggest a completely clean checkout of Crystal Space.

Be aware, however, that you won\'t really get anything playable - the current Planeshift server won\'t work with the Mac client, since changes have been made since it was released.  If what you\'re looking for is the planeshift experience, I suggest trying it out on a PC before putting yourself through a struggle with the frighteningly complex build systems of CS and PS.  (Not that I take my own advice here :D)

EDIT:
Following some earlier conversation in another thread, I now realise that you are trying to build the Molecular Blue client.  I do not know how accurate AlanOne\'s instructions are, but if they\'re accurate they must be followed to the letter, as some pretty hairy stuff is going on.  By the sounds of it, your CMD.OBJC rule is messed up - did you set that in Jamconfig?  
I don\'t know if he got a build able to connect with the main PS server or not; if he did then that\'s great.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:35:45 pm by dfryer »

thebryster

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 09:09:33 am »
Yes I have a fresh check out (just redownloaded it yesterday) I can get it to connect to the pc because AlanOne made a new .h file to replace message.h (I think thats it)... So its comething wrong with the CMD.OBJC? I did set it in the Jamconfig.. but I am just now realizing something....There was an error message at the very begining of the Jam: It didn\'t read the CMD.OBJC properly... I will fix it and get back soon.

EDIT~ I think I have the solution!! On the instructions AlanOne says to add CMD.OBJC=\"cc\" ; but that doesn\'t work because the = and \" aren\'t spaced. I looked at other propertys in the Jamconfig and they all were spaced... so it should look like this: CMD.OBJC= \"cc\" ; See the difference??
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 09:28:12 am by thebryster »

thebryster

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 10:37:34 am »
Ok I have Good news and Bad News: I got it to make libcssys.a but I ran in to another problem this is what I get some errors saying that they can\'t make a file or It can\'t find a file but I think I have everything I need to have so then I run this:
g++ -bundle -o casnddrv.csplugin ./out/macosxppc/optimize/plugins/sound/driver/coreaudio/casnddrv.o ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/libcssys.a ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/csutil/libcsutil.a ./out/macosxppc/optimize/libs/cssys/libcssys.a -multiply_defined suppress -lm -ldl -bundle -framework AppKit -framework Foundation -framework CoreAudio
just like AlanOne says but it says: ld: can\'t locate file for: -ldl . What am I doing wrong? Also thanks for helping me in this endeavour.

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 08:13:02 pm »
I didn\'t think -ldl was used in MacOS X... can\'t remember what\'s used instead, I think various things in the Foundation framework.  You could try removing the \"-ldl\" part from the command line, but what you\'re trying to do still sounds a little iffy to me.

EDIT:
I appear to be wrong, libdl.dylib exists (in 10.3, probably 10.2)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 08:15:16 pm by dfryer »