Author Topic: Newbie guide to installation on Ubuntu.  (Read 45064 times)

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
Re: Newbie guide to installation on Ubuntu.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »
If the necessary 32bit compatibility libraries are not installed and he's running a 64bit distro install then it will be a problem. The processor can handle 32 and 64 bit sure but the OS has to handle some of that.  Do you know what you installed koko?

Esserfin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:01 pm »
If the necessary 32bit compatibility libraries are not installed and he's running a 64bit distro install then it will be a problem. The processor can handle 32 and 64 bit sure but the OS has to handle some of that.

Indeed, but what I find strange is the shell giving no messages about the issue (that is why I thought about the sudo's password, the system *could* be waiting for it) :)

Do you know what you installed koko?

That's the main question now. Koko, open a shell and type 'uname -r' and post the reply here :)

Esserfin Sussert
The Dragon Council

potatoehead64

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Multiply Blog Page
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 06:32:32 am »
This is an excellent guide. Thank you. I think I'll bookmark this thread for use when the next major update comes along. I recognize everything you have shown here when I installed last time although I couldn't lauch from the icons. It's not been a problem though because I launch from terminal anyway (or the non GUI icon PS client).
Interestingly, I think I chose KDE desktop despite running Gnome, by accident, however the game still runs. (I did this when I reinstalled after finding the launch icons failed to work).
Guides like this are really useful for folk like me who have limited Linux knowledge. I'm learning quickly though.

Shadowmeph

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 05:11:06 pm »
I installed PS succesfully on Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit. However, I needed to set correct permissions for the shorcuts on the desktop and the files afterwards to run it. PSupdater worked fine. Pssetup flickered all the time. Psclient flickered too, but switching to fullscreen fixed that issue.

It's like the windows behind the PS windows want to go in front of it, and that looks like flickering. Any idea how to fix that?

edit:
After a reboot the shortcuts were pretty big, like 5 times the normal size. I can't resize them. Any clue on that too?
I am having the same problem with the flickering how did you change to full screen? not sure if I want it in full screen because I switch between the irc channel and the game all the time . and as it is I have to go into the opt /planeshift dir just to start the game ok well I fixed the starting problem now I just wish the flicker would go away
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 06:42:41 pm by Shadowmeph »
"The General who in a hundred battles is always victorious is not as great as the one who achieves his objectives without fighting."
                                             -- Sun Tzu

Shadowmeph

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 06:45:26 pm »
I installed PS succesfully on Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit. However, I needed to set correct permissions for the shorcuts on the desktop and the files afterwards to run it. PSupdater worked fine. Pssetup flickered all the time. Psclient flickered too, but switching to fullscreen fixed that issue.

It's like the windows behind the PS windows want to go in front of it, and that looks like flickering. Any idea how to fix that?

edit:
After a reboot the shortcuts were pretty big, like 5 times the normal size. I can't resize them. Any clue on that too?
I am having the same problem with the flickering how did you change to full screen? not sure if I want it in full screen because I switch between the irc channel and the game all the time . and as it is I have to go into the opt /planeshift dir just to start the game ok well I fixed the starting problem now I just wish the flicker would go away it is more of a pulse then a flicker though.
"The General who in a hundred battles is always victorious is not as great as the one who achieves his objectives without fighting."
                                             -- Sun Tzu

Esserfin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 12:59:16 pm »
To change to fullscreen or to window view use  pssetup  (in the planeshift installation directory). You can change a few graphic options too there.

Esserfin Sussert
The Dragon Council

koko

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 05:12:17 pm »
thanks for the replies, been busy so not had a chance to reply until now.

yes im running the 64 bit distro, tried downloading the x64.bin file and it worked a treat, thx very much.  :thumbup:

very good guide by the way :thumbup:

im really getting to like Ubuntu, its a bit of a culture shock at first after always having my hand held by Mr Gates and his Windozzzzzzz. ;D ;D

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »
Shadowmeph: If your desktop icons don't work for launching PS, you have to change the permissions on them. On Ubuntu you can right-click them to open a menu to change the permissions, but if you launched the installer with sudo that will not work. You have to open a terminal and use the command "sudo chmod a+rx <location-of-a-PS-desktop-icon>"
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Hartxenon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 04:24:50 am »
Hey man, i followed the tutorial and i worked perfectly, The installation the, the scripts, the permission and whatnot. After installation i tried to run the menu icons and they did not work as you said some would. So then i moved over to terminal and attempted to run it from there however i came across this
Code: [Select]
hartxenon@Raymond-laptop:~$ /opt/PlaneShift/psupdater
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 5: cd: /home/hartxenon//opt/PlaneShift: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `psupdater.bin': No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: /home/hartxenon/psupdater.bin: No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: exec: /home/hartxenon/psupdater.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

Any help would be greatly appreciated, BTW i'm using Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 in case you need to know...

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:45 am »
You can also just use Nautilus to go to the PlaneShift folder and set the correct permission via the GUI. If you want to make the shortcuts under the Applications->Games menu work, you need to chmod the desktop icons themselves.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Evlpacman

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 02:57:37 am »
I'm having the same problem as Hartxenon with the exact same outputs.  I am also using Gutsy 7.10, but its Kubuntu for me.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 05:10:13 am »
run updater.bin to update the scripts to run the game.

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 05:20:06 pm »
Depending on the settings for the shell you may need to add . before the commands, but I doubt it. 

Hartxenon:  could you paste me the output of the following command?:

ls /opt/PlaneShift
Also, I do address changing the permissions of the .desktop files themselves in the guide ThomPheonix:

In case someone missed it:

sudo chmod a+rx /usr/share/applications/planeshift*.desktop
Ought to make the menu entries work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 05:21:53 pm by Induane »

alanvigilantes

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 03:38:59 am »
hello, i'm a new user. I have follow the guide of Induane but the only command that run is the uninstall.
If I try to run commands from the terminal the output is:
alan@alan-laptop:~$ clear
alan@alan-laptop:~$ cd /opt/PlaneShift
alan@alan-laptop:/opt/PlaneShift$ ls
art                          planeshiftupdater.desktop  psupdater.bin
data                         psclient                   support
docs                         psclient.bin               uninstall
guide                        psclient.cfg               unscript.sh
libs                         pssetup                    updaterinfo.xml
planeshiftclient.desktop     pssetup.bin                vfs.cfg
planeshiftsetup.desktop      pssetup.cfg
planeshiftuninstall.desktop  psupdater
alan@alan-laptop:/opt/PlaneShift$ psupdater
bash: psupdater: command not found
alan@alan-laptop:/opt/PlaneShift$ psupdater.bin
bash: psupdater.bin: command not found
alan@alan-laptop:/opt/PlaneShift$

I have ubuntu 7.10
Thanks to all

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 05:21:04 am »
try
./psupdater.bin