Author Topic: Newbie guide to installation on Ubuntu.  (Read 45067 times)

alanvigilantes

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie guide to installation on Ubuntu.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 08:35:25 am »
with this command the program  run :P :P
Thanks Caarrie
and now PLAY \\o// \\o//
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:45:41 am by alanvigilantes »

RAJangel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 05:13:13 pm »
when i try

./psupdater.bin

nothing happens. i am getting the same problems as hartxenon, and a few others.

i tried to CD to the directory where it is located, and tried it without CD. nothing happens, and i still get the error. Tried with sudo/without sudo. i uninstalled, and still copy pasted all the available commands. when i click on the links, and go to the permission tab, it is set to root, and it says "your are not the owner." Hmmm. Where am I going wrong? Using Ubuntu 7.1 64 bit edition.

op nevermind. figured it out.
Please dont double post just edit your old post instead of making a new one
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:32:26 am by Mordraugion »

Ross

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 11:29:27 am »
I'm one of those newbies who has a dislike for Gates and am trying to learn something new. I'm using Ubuntu and am following your guide but I am coming up with this error. It's tough to learn when this happens.. Can someone help me out on this.

ross@ross-linux:~$ sudo ./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x64.bin
./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x64.bin: 3: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
ross@ross-linux:~$

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 12:30:39 pm »
I'm one of those newbies who has a dislike for Gates and am trying to learn something new. I'm using Ubuntu and am following your guide but I am coming up with this error. It's tough to learn when this happens.. Can someone help me out on this.

ross@ross-linux:~$ sudo ./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x64.bin
./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x64.bin: 3: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
ross@ross-linux:~$

if you dont have a 64 bit processor as well as a 64 bit OS you cant read that file, download the x86 version and see if that helps

sirius)(black

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 01:48:08 pm »
im having problems installing the game...
i get this error
(note: i've downloaded the file and used the chmod a+x command)
sudo ./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x86.bin
./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x86.bin: 1: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
now without sudo, even stranger:

./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x86.bin
./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x86.bin: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x86.bin: line 1: `،�����Dk��8*�U�z ) ��L�EY�-��5U3�5:���
                                                                             �����і�-�Hq�2r▒)��CF"��/H�؃���3��▒˂-�Jb밫��u�Nߍ���_�?�/�O���1�"6ᷠF/�'�)�(<�k6<'�
                                                                             �.6[��ƚBj7�6a; ���
�w�▒=�9�2���üd�0�▒�W�-q������^j��zE
6[����`f1����If7��љ�f-3���Tc�0e���1��V9&���I��\�D�*����&�▒^_����4��X�M�����_���M��v+�:��EÑ#��ᜡ  ��40:�nZBڈԤ�)r��d���IqIG���;���o�Ϸ?������K���vL�/�`��d"ed'

so... yea... umm... i'm having some minor problems installing...

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 01:11:11 pm »
That looks like either an incomplete download or the wrong architecture to me.  Are you sure you aren't on a 64 bit distro?

feenix

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 01:22:45 am »
I used this guide and have it installed. But all permissions are to root.  I am new to Ubuntu 7.10 and have no idea on how to change the permissions.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 06:55:33 am »
It's in the guide though, feenix.

sudo chmod a+rx /usr/share/applications/planeshift*.desktop
You can replace "/usr/share/applications/planeshift*.desktop" with any other file you would like to set appropriate permissions for.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

feenix

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 06:53:09 pm »
I tried the line of code and it did nothing. All 3 icons on desktop, that controls the game are locked. The only one that works is uninstall. ::|  My roommate loves this game and I want in. But my laptop is being a pain.

huggy_jj

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 11:44:27 pm »
Hey I'm having the same exact problem as this guy. Anybody figure out how to solve it yet? I'm running 32 bit software on a 64 bit processor with 7.10.  I really liked playing this game on my windows but it died and I put ubuntu on here which I really like, but it won't play this game so far. Any ideas? help me please?

Hey man, i followed the tutorial and i worked perfectly, The installation the, the scripts, the permission and whatnot. After installation i tried to run the menu icons and they did not work as you said some would. So then i moved over to terminal and attempted to run it from there however i came across this
Code: [Select]
hartxenon@Raymond-laptop:~$ /opt/PlaneShift/psupdater
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 5: cd: /home/hartxenon//opt/PlaneShift: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `psupdater.bin': No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: /home/hartxenon/psupdater.bin: No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: exec: /home/hartxenon/psupdater.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

Any help would be greatly appreciated, BTW i'm using Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 in case you need to know...

Thanks.

pharo212

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 06:06:47 pm »
Slight problem.
When I try the command to run the installer, it gives me "sudo: unable to execute ./PlaneShift-v0.4.00-x86.bin:text file busy". I downloaded the file from the link on the site, but otherwise followed directions exactly. So, what's wrong, and what should I do?
Ubunto 7.10, 2 gigabytes of ram, and 32 bit.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:29:46 pm by pharo212 »

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2008, 12:11:27 pm »
You might double check the file size to make sure you got the full download. It might have cut off. Its why I like wget -c   it allows you to resume where you left off if something happens.

pharo212

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2008, 12:54:28 pm »
I've downloaded it twice, from different mirrors. Also, the wget -c failed when I tried to use it. Is there a debian package?
EDIT I started wget, and its working. Cross your fingers!
EDIT(again) GAH! It failed while I was away, and it didn't start where it left of! Why me!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:40:55 pm by pharo212 »

huggy_jj

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2008, 09:11:01 am »
ok I've downloaded it twice now, through firefox and wget, went through everything and I'm still getting this same message. Does anyone know how to get past this?

huggy@huggy-desktop:~$ /opt/PlaneShift/psupdater
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 5: cd: /home/huggy//opt/PlaneShift: No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: /home/huggy/psupdater.bin: No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: exec: /home/huggy/psupdater.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

It's starting to drive me crazy! ...please help me :(

potatoehead64

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Multiply Blog Page
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2008, 09:40:29 am »
ok I've downloaded it twice now, through firefox and wget, went through everything and I'm still getting this same message. Does anyone know how to get past this?

huggy@huggy-desktop:~$ /opt/PlaneShift/psupdater
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 5: cd: /home/huggy//opt/PlaneShift: No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: /home/huggy/psupdater.bin: No such file or directory
/opt/PlaneShift/psupdater: line 8: exec: /home/huggy/psupdater.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

It's starting to drive me crazy! ...please help me :(

I don;t know of this will help, but instead of downloading to "opt" directory, I created separate folder for it and used the file browser to look at it. When you find it, you'll likely need to change the permissions in the "executable". In terminal, the files should show up as green.

Another way to get advice would be to check the Ubuntu forums. I found this helped for me.

Sorry I can't be more help. It's a while since I sorted mine and I can't remember what I did.