Author Topic: Installer crashing on Linux Mint  (Read 768 times)

Phicksur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Installer crashing on Linux Mint
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:45:36 pm »
Here is my sysinfo:

Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H170 PRO GAMING v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 0407 date: 09/08/2015
Quad core Intel Core i7-6700 (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake-S rev.3 cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27264
Graphics Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1912
Graphics Card-2: NVIDIA GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:17c8
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: nvidia
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77 Direct Render: Yes

When I try to use the installer, I get an error message as follows:

Error executing post installation script
/mnt/SSD Gaming/Planeshift/opt/PlaneShift/wrapperscript.sh
\/mnt/SSD Gaming/Planeshift/opt/PlaneShift/wrapperscript.sh: line 12: cd: /mnt/SSD/PlaneShift: No such file or directory
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/Eomar Shimmersong L3.pdf': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/Eomar Shimmersong L4.pdf': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/Melwyn_0.5.pdf': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/PlaneShift-v0.6.3-x64.run': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/Noh Bodie L4.pdf': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/Noh Bodie L3.pdf': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/unscript.sh': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove '/home/phicksur/Desktop/wrapperscript.sh': No such file or directory

Can someone tell me why this is happening?

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Installer crashing on Linux Mint
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »
Hi,

I never did a PlaneShift installation under Linux, but these messages "Operation not permitted" are a strong indicator that you did not try to install with administrator / root rights. The missing directory may not have been created for the same reason.

Good luck

Gonger

Phicksur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:29:01 pm »
It is trying to change permissions of files on my desktop (the Eomar, Noh, and other files) that have nothing to do with the program.

This means the installer is not appropriately configured.
The directories and files are being created, but no desktop icons and I don't see anything in the Menu about it.

(How many times am I going to have to enter this Captcha?)

EDIT: After reading the installer script, I can see why those errors are being thrown. I am not running KDE or Gnome, so the defaults are as follows:

mv $PWD/planeshift /usr/bin/planeshift
chmod 770 /usr/bin/planeshift
chown $USER:games /usr/bin/planeshift*

if [[ ${PERMS} == "yes" ]];
then

chmod -R ${CHMOD} $PWD
chown -R ${USERGROUP} $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
else
chown -R $USER $PWD
chgrp -R games $PWD
chmod -R 770 $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
fi
exit
else
then

chmod -R ${CHMOD} $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
else
chown -R $USER $PWD
chgrp -R games $PWD
chmod -R 770 $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
fi
exit
fi

That's going to try to change all the files in the directories, which is not going to work. At no point does it let me run it as administrator, but I wouldn't want to because this would change my PDF files into executables.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:36:19 pm by Phicksur »

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:47:10 am »
From memory(which may be very wrong) there is an option in the installer to either install it for all users or only the current user, have you tried installing with that off?

Another option is to install Planeshift to a separate directory and not creating shortcuts to the desktop.

Running as administrator would mean using sudo to run it in this case, although that wouldn't be too smart in this case I think.
Larili Soriol

Phicksur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 03:46:50 pm »
From memory(which may be very wrong) there is an option in the installer to either install it for all users or only the current user, have you tried installing with that off?

Another option is to install Planeshift to a separate directory and not creating shortcuts to the desktop.

Running as administrator would mean using sudo to run it in this case, although that wouldn't be too smart in this case I think.

I did what you recommended the first time install for current user only, separate directory, and no shortcuts, and it gave errors on that too.

How many posts before this stupid Captcha stops asking the same questions?

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 04:04:03 pm »
I too would not advise running as root. Can you please post the entire installer script if possible? I couldn't find it anywhere. Please also post the new error messages you are getting.

Phicksur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 04:38:31 pm »
Notes: Each time I would delete the folder it would be installed to to make sure it wasn't affected by previous installations.

System Wide Install: NO  (and YES, same result)
Windows Manager Used: Gnome (Running Linux Mint 19, which uses Cinnamon, which is based on GNOME) (also tried Other, same result)
Install Menu Icons: NO  (and YES, same result)
Create Desktop Shortcuts: NO (and YES, same result)
Set Permissions: NO  (and YES, same result)

Error Message (after I removed all desktop files):
Error executing post installation script
/mnt/SSD Gaming/opt/PlaneShift/wrapperscript.sh
\/mnt/SSD Gaming/opt/PlaneShift/wrapperscript.sh: line 12: cd: /mnt/SSD/PlaneShift: No such file or directory
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/PlaneShift-v0.6.3-x64.run': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop/unscript.sh': Operation not permitted
chgrp: changing group of '/home/phicksur/Desktop': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove '/home/phicksur/Desktop/wrapperscript.sh': No such file or directory

So, the bottom line is the line 12 of the wrapperscript.sh installer isn't working.

What I am doing is downloading THIS FILE, then making it executable, and running it.

Here is the whole Script:
#!/bin/bash

INPUT=$1
SYS=$2
KDEGNOME=$3
DESKCUT=$4
MENU=$5
USERGROUP=$6
CHMOD=$7
PERMS=$8

cd "${INPUT}"/PlaneShift

echo -e "#!/bin/bash\n\ncd $PWD\nrm /usr/bin/planeshift\nrm /usr/share/applications/planeshift*\nrm ~/Desktop/PlaneShift.desktop\nrm ~/Desktop/PlaneShift\ Uninstaller.desktop\nrm -Rf $PWD/unscript.sh" >> unscript.sh

if [[ ${KDEGNOME} == "kde" ]];
then
echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nEncoding=UTF-8\nGenericName=PlaneShift\nName=PlaneShift\nExec=$PWD/pslaunch\nIcon=$PWD/support/icons/psicon.png\nTerminal=false\nType=Application\nCategories=Qt;KDE;Games;" >> planeshift.desktop
echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nEncoding=UTF-8\nGenericName=PlaneShift Uninstaller\nName=PlaneShift Uninstaller\nExec=$PWD/uninstall\nIcon=\nTerminal=false\nType=Application\nCategories=Qt;KDE;Games;" >> planeshiftuninstall.desktop

if [[ ${MENU} == "yes" && ( $USER == "root" || `stat -c'%u' "${INPUT}"` == "0" ) ]];
then
cp planeshift.desktop /usr/share/applications/
cp planeshiftuninstall.desktop /usr/share/applications/
chmod 777 /usr/share/applications/planeshift*
fi

if [[ ${DESKCUT} == "yes" ]];
then
mv planeshift.desktop ~/Desktop/PlaneShift.desktop
mv planeshiftuninstall.desktop ~/Desktop/Uninstall\ PlaneShift.desktop
else
rm planeshift.desktop
rm planeshiftuninstall.desktop
fi
fi

if [[ ${KDEGNOME} == "gnome" ]];
then
echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nEncoding=UTF-8\nGenericName=PlaneShift\nName=PlaneShift\nExec=$PWD/pslaunch\nIcon=$PWD/support/icons/psicon.png\nTerminal=false\nType=Application\nCategories=GNOME;Application;Game;" >> planeshift.desktop
echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nEncoding=UTF-8\nGenericName=PlaneShift Uninstaller\nName=PlaneShift Uninstaller\nExec=$PWD/uninstall\nIcon=\nTerminal=false\nType=Application\nCategories=GNOME;Application;Game;" >> planeshiftuninstall.desktop

if [[ ${MENU} == "yes" && ( $USER == "root" || `stat -c'%u' "${INPUT}"` == "0" ) ]];
then
cp planeshift.desktop /usr/share/applications/
cp planeshiftuninstall.desktop /usr/share/applications/
chmod 777 /usr/share/applications/planeshift*
fi

if [[ ${DESKCUT} == "yes" ]];
then
mv planeshift.desktop ~/Desktop/PlaneShift.desktop
mv planeshiftuninstall.desktop ~/Desktop/Uninstall\ PlaneShift.desktop
else
rm planeshift.desktop
rm planeshiftuninstall.desktop
fi
fi

if [[ ${SYS} == "yes" && ( $USER == "root" || `stat -c'%u' "${INPUT}"` == "0" ) ]];
then

echo -e "#!/bin/bash\n\nexec  $PWD/pslaunch \"\$@\"" >> planeshift

mv $PWD/planeshift /usr/bin/planeshift
chmod 770 /usr/bin/planeshift
chown $USER:games /usr/bin/planeshift*

then

chmod -R ${CHMOD} $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
else
chown -R $USER $PWD
chgrp -R games $PWD
chmod -R 770 $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
fi
exit
else
then

chmod -R ${CHMOD} $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
else
chown -R $USER $PWD
chgrp -R games $PWD
chmod -R 770 $PWD
rm $PWD/wrapperscript.sh
fi
exit
fi
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:40:44 pm by Phicksur »

Phicksur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:43:58 pm »
I have also tried moving the installer to a different directory, the one I want to install it to, and it still errors out at line 12.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 04:55:19 pm »
That file you linked to is a binary, assuming it is some self extractor. Where are you trying to install? It seems as if it is trying to install under /mnt/SSD, while the directory for the script is "/mnt/SSD Gaming/"... It's a silly bug, but it could be that the problem is that space in "SSD Gaming". What was the path to the different directory you used? I would suggest something simple you have full access rights to, such as $HOME/bin/. You can also try creating a link to bypass the issue, like this:
ln -s "/mnt/SSD Gaming/" $HOME/ssd_gaming
then try to install from within $HOME/ssd_gaming instead of "/mnt/SSD Gaming/". Also, since you are installing as a normal user, make sure you have write permission to "/mnt/SSD Gaming". Hope this helps!

Phicksur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 05:07:02 am »
The problem was the space in the directory path. I tried installing it to a different drive without a space in the name and it was able to be installed.

Now, someone needs to fix the installer so that won't happen in the future.