Author Topic: to all those in support of open PKing (my first last and only opinion)  (Read 6531 times)

Kaseijin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
just one thing...if you implement pking ...and criminal for sake of harsh reality of common honest people, you have to fully implament government and police and jail (remember PS world is structured one not an anarchy) for sake of the harsh reality of a criminal. So basically open pking in my opinion should be offset by the posibility of being caught by npc guards and jailed in a unescapable prison cell...at least for 3 to 4 ..REAL life days..for murder of the innocent and maybe 6 hours for major theft and 1 hour for minor theft.
Ok maybe 3 to 4 days is too long but at least a day...or 12 hours.

if you going to do the crime be prepared to do the time
i actually play planeshift

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 09:18:10 am »
It seems reasonable, but the times should be much longer,

2 weeks for foul murder, and maybe 5 Days for a medium theft.
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Clover

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 12:59:36 pm »
I think in game times would be better.  You could also make public displays of thieves, like a wall of shame where they have to sit in shackles.
Ordo Illuminatis
Master in the House of Shadow
Official Tavern Kitty

__Taking an extended leave of absense from PS.

buddha

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 01:06:52 pm »
I really like this idea, but it seems very difficult to implement.  Wouldn\'t we then need an in-game criminal justice system? Or do we do it Old West style, where the sheriff decides the punishment?

If there are enough players willing to play lawyers and lawmen, this would be cool. Even if the local sheriff becomes corrupt and jails people he doesn\'t like, we\'d still have  a pretty neat system.
~~
May all your sequences converge.

Mummas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 11:58:19 am »
2 weeks? What would they do in that time? And gettting caught, as soon as you pk someone, the person you pk will tell the people in charge and instant jail for 2 weeks.

And what if the person was looting or being purposely annoying and you pk them and he tells another story and you are jailed for no reason.

It wont work. There are plenty of other RPG\'s out there that have pk options. Just use their ideas. Or atleast consider them.

The fact this game will be free will draw the players, not its uniqueness, and using another pking system wont stop the game from being unique. I mean one country taking another countires law system doesnt mean that those countries are the same
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 12:40:12 pm by Mummas »

Mummas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 12:14:26 pm »
Being caught by NPC would work.

But the NPC would have to patrol because pkers would know where the guards were.

It is just the same as having a newbie area which is protected by guards, where newbs can level in peace.

But having NPC guards patrolling different areas is a nice idea.

Mummas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 12:15:28 pm »
Also if the pker was strong enough and the level of guard was random. If they were stronger than the guard maybe they could kill them.

Or if guards patrolled in groups so if you were attacked you could run to the safety of the patrolling guards.

Its an idea you can work with

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 08:36:30 pm »
Give the guards a really high level. And make it sorta like morrowind. If your strong enough. go destroy all the towns y don\'t you, until you get cornered by 10 guards that it.
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.

Samoth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 11:00:38 pm »
Some of these ideas would not be hard to implement I think.

How about if a player resonds to a PVP challange with a no answer and the aggresive player still attacks, the game should let the battle come to conclusion.

If the agresive player looses the battle the attacked player gets the XP.

If the attacked player dies and goes to the death relm, the agressive player is automatically telleported to the top of the wall of shame and kept there for 7 real life days.

Jazeera

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 06:58:58 am »
eh? 7 real life days? don?t you think you?re overreacting a little?... I think that one day should be enough or just a couple of hours... but really a whole week!?
Jazeera Hlaaron

HellToupee

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 06:00:46 am »
If i kill some guy out in the woods and nick his gold they arnt going to know it was me, its not like their gona call in CSI and question all the players.

Open pk should be for outside city areas, it would actually create reasons for being in a guild saftey in numbers essentially without pk its like running around in god mode people cant hurt you, they could be tried their best to role play doctor evil yet have to ask premission to their victims to perform evil deeds.

Law inforcement can be handled by people guilds, instead of faking order have people enforce it.

Gilibran

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 09:50:08 am »
About the thieving, when they get cought, the old punishment wich works the best cut of a hand with loss of skill lvl or pp. That\'s what they did in medieval times.

Though I do think they\'re should be a way (very expensive magickal way) to get the hand back.

That should be enough to have people think hard if they really want to become a thief.

Public display is a good one too complete with rotten fruit, egg\'s and vegetables  :D all we need is a throwing skill  :D

Ecolem

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 04:17:17 am »
Originally posted by Kaseijin
...at least for 3 to 4 ..REAL life days..for murder of the innocent and maybe 6 hours for major theft and 1 hour for minor theft.

LMAO!

You must be kidding, who in the world would want to PK if you have to wait 4 days to play agian...really stupid(no offence). At worst maybe you have to pay back half of the tria you have on you or something.

But this idea is just a bit too over board..remember not everything has to be \'realistic\'  :rolleyes:

Azerelus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 01:22:55 pm »
Days, Real days or game days?

If you have Pking, then it is logical to assume that a Pker would run the risk of coming afoul of the law. Prison would be the most logical choice, but instead of being just an inescapable cell, let?s say it is a road crew \"chain gang\" or a Mine or a quarry where one does \"hard labor\". The harder you work, the shorter the time is you spend in Jail.

Just having a period of days to wait through game or otherwise means that the player can just go to one of their other characters and play that one until the time expires that is not really a punishment, just a good reason to develop another character. Instead you want that player to have to attend the misery of his character, thus instead of a sentence of time a sentence of an amount of labor ? in the case of  a mine he/she must mine out X amount of iron ore. In the quarry, they must move X amount of stone ? each crime would carry with it a different amount of material. Let?s say the game is averaged at 3 minutes of mining per lump of iron ore. Thus for theft you want the player out of game for 30 minutes you would have him mine 10 iron ores. Say for murder you want him out of game for 2 hours that comes to 40 ores.

Thus the player gets to commiserate with his character and reflect on what s/he did and no matter how long they log out that character the work remains to be done ? therefore they can decide if they want to take the fast way, working hard and meeting their quota, or the long way, working a few minutes each day until they worked off their sentence.

Add a bit of interest. Let?s say that if the player just keeps his character swinging the pick without moving the character the length of time (average) to get an ore is 5 minutes. But if he moves around, picking new locations (thus having to stay with the character instead of going to do something else like watch TV) the time is reduced to 2-3 minutes on average of finding an ore.

Pking should not be strictly considered murder. I assume that the game can pretty much determine who initiated the fight, thus even if the Pker looses he still gets to go to jail while the person who defends themselves get no sentence for what is self defense. We can strike up the knowledge of crime as being a stain upon the character placed there by the Gods or something along those lines. Instead of needing investigation, witnesses, detectives, trial, etc. After all there is magic in the realm, it is easy to assume that some great and powerful magic makes it clear to all who commits a crime.

Azerelus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 02:44:52 pm »
Thinking on it for a while, perhaps the best method of insuring justice is to have a percentage of being \"caught\" Say your first crime the percentage of being cught is around 10% - that means 8 out of 10 times you may get away with it. with each progressive crime your chances of being caught increases. Until sooner or later you do get caught.

Thus there is a risk but not a certainty that any crime you commit will end up with you doing time. The risk is yours if you think it is worth it.