Author Topic: To PK or not to PK  (Read 5999 times)

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
To PK or not to PK
« on: May 24, 2003, 12:04:34 pm »
This is to start things on a good foot, since I think mostly the Pro PK people will answer here, it is biased but what the hey?we can see how a little poll goes.
-Paxx

Bonez

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 01:29:10 pm »
well i think that there should be pk\'in because it gives you the ability to show off your hard work. Most people might train just so they can fight other people.
Join the Legendary Warriors at http://www.legendarywarriors.tk and feel real power and wealth

bbum

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 03:00:21 am »
sure,  but it must be controled, perhaps if you want to be a pker, you could set your character as a pker by talking to someone or somthing, and then you can attack anyone, BUT everyone can attack you, but not everyone can attack eachother, unless you want to become a pker. it makes it fair, and if you can never come out a being a pker, its a pretyt big decision

this sounds like the most fair way to have pking in the game without having it go overboard, you need to really commit if you want to pk
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 03:01:46 am by bbum »

Morte

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 10:09:13 am »
I reckon the best way may be an agreement between the two ppl involved since if you\'re coming back from doing something and low on health, you don\'t really want to get attacked and killed by some guy who wants your stuff. An example of this could be that a player is made invulnerable to damage from another player until he or she gives the order to strike back. This way only people who want to fight get killed. This is just an idea to help keep things fair and stop ppl getting killed when they don\'t want to be.
\"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, you\'re wives are always welcoming. Three, you fought like devils to save us\" Old french guy at my uncles pub.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 07:11:03 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooo!!! Never!!!! I\'ll danm this game if you ever put PvP into it paxx! Mark my words!!

http://planeshift.oodlz.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=3172&boardid=11
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 07:13:48 pm by Kiva »
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Bonez

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 08:19:09 pm »
there will be pk\'in its almost an essential
Join the Legendary Warriors at http://www.legendarywarriors.tk and feel real power and wealth

BlueScreenJunky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 05:44:56 am »
As someone say, it is important to have PK\'ing, because it is the only way to compare your character to the others. BUT, the problem is, we don\'t want to force people to PK, and to be PKed.

So the idea is to restrain this to some areas or events, like arena and guildwars. but  it\'s not fun if you only kill people who entered the arena only to fight against you, you can\'t backstab them.. hehe.
So I think a good compromise would be to create a special level, where you can only go if you\'re powerful enough, and where PK is allowed. So PKers could go there to kill, and ordinary people would go there and risk there lives because there would be special items to get there or some difficult quests which require you to enter this dangerous level and survive the high level outlaws.

Just an idea, I think PK can be cool if controlled, but I can live without it.
sig removed, it was kinda big ^^

Terra111

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 08:18:50 am »
Only if PKing will be held in arenas and guildwars. Otherwise NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Bonez

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 05:39:26 pm »
it wont be like open pk.. but maybe a place where there are like drops on the ground where ppl will want to go no matter the risk..and of course guild wars will be open. but as its been said before there could be a button or something to set pk to.. u might only be able to turn this on or off if ur a certain distance from ppl or a time limit after battle or something...

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2003, 06:56:12 pm »
one of the best things about mmorpgs is pvp..

why do you hate it so much Gronomist?? Personally I think it was the best part of AO during my playtime...

Caldazar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 09:11:09 am »
As long as it is under controlled forms. Perhaps both players have to agree on it. Sort of a duel.
Browsing the forums when I\'m bored, nothing more.

Darkanan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Pking
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 12:31:06 pm »
Look it is imperative in a game like this for PKing to exist. Otherwise what is there to do go around and level a lot, do some quests but even those will die out as time goes on and you get bored. PKing adds a strife and a new element to the game. It allows for wars by guild to exist it defines who people are and also it allows for fair gameplay. I don\'t know how many of you have ever played non PVP games but they suck. People just constantly take your kills from you or will steal your loot or start attacking monsters your might have been training on. PKing should be regulated though so a game does not become solely hack and slash. Heres how to regulate PKing.

1.) You can attack anyone whenever you want whereever.

2.) When you Kill someone they should be told. This can be done many ways. There can be a last killer option or something like that.

3.) When you kill someone you become an outlaw until you go to jail and serve your term. When an outlaw anyone can kill you and they will not become outlaw. Also prevent people from logging off immediately after a conflict too.

4.) Jail is in every town have NPC police that will arrest outlaws when they come within a certain range of them. You must remain in jail for 5minutes. While in jail you are vulnerable to attack from anyone. HOwever, your friends can also protect you in the jail which adds another cool level to the game the importance of forming a group of friends.

5.) Also make sure to make safe areas where no PVP is allowed like banks and town halls orsomething like that.

This is a combination of the methods I\'ve seen used in other games. it is highly effective and will minimize PKs to only those who really want someone dead. Beacuse you will most surely be killed for killing someone else, as is done in the real world.

Plageron

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 01:37:43 pm »
I have to put my two cents worth in.

A game like this should have the Possibility of Pking in it.

It adds to the flavor of the game in my opinion.

But then I think only certain places should have the Pking possible like out side town, in dungeons, not on roads...etc.   The problem is that even with those things, many a PKer will just sit and ambush people.

I liked the idea about the a person commiting the act becoming wanted after commiting an act of this nature.
And then maybe a reward could be gained.
It added a nice interesting side thing for the game, heck people could become professional Thieves and others could become proffesional Bounty Hunters....
I don\'t know why but that sounds kind of interesting to me.

The biggest problem I see is what exactly would be the reward for Pking someone....
I mean if the person killing another player can rob that individual would that be fair......but then if they could not rob the person....hmm

I suppose the only remedy would be a bank system for the person to hold their stuff, or perhaps making it so the person being killed could only lose the armor they have equiped, the weapon they have equiped and maybe their cash....

Feynt

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PK okay as a possibility
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 12:14:22 am »
I believe that the possiblity of PK adds a useful social tension to a game. In our real society, the possibility of death and our attempts to prevent death are powerful driving forces for individual and collective activity... I think it makes sense to allow the same forces to act in a fictional world.

By permitting PK in the game on a technical level, it becomes more the responsibility of the in-game society to control PK activity (leveraging technical capabilities that are built into the game by the dev team). This would be similar to the real world, most everyone has the physical capability of killing others, but there are many other things that indirectly prevent (almost all of) us from becoming murderers on a whim or even in a flash of anger.

In my opinion, the imposition of blanket PK-prevention (even in limited territories or whatnot) would be a \'sledgehammer\' solution where something more elegant is called for. We need these indirect methods of making PKing uncommon... furthermore, I think we would find that such social control mechanics will have overall benefits for game play that are not tied solely to the PK issue.

Perhaps the existence of too much PKing is not evidence that PKing should be prohibited by a coding change, but rather is evidence that the in game penalties are not high enough!

(I learned of PlaneShift\'s existence yesterday, so I have no idea about current or planned game capabilities!)

Specific suggestions:

- PK should be possible for all characters in all places;

- game mechanics should permit \'outlaw tag\' that attaches to characters who perpetrate PKs. Perhaps the crime is not publicly announced (perhaps not even announced to the victim), but the tag would still be attached, so a murderer could TRY to blend into a crowd, but an observant \'public defender\' in that crowd could strike down the murderer right there without himself/herself being labelled a murderer

- PK should be unpenalised in some cases (e.g., guild minions engaged in a declared guild war), but robustly penalised in others, with a variety of penalties;

- Penalty: \'government\' confiscation of \'the proceeds of crime\'

- application of a bounty on the head of outlaws (sounds like a quest to me!)

- Penalty: permanent \'branding\' of character as \'murderer\'

- Penalty: corporal punishment (i.e., lose ability points)

- Penalty: house arrest, whereby outlaw tag is attached to character outside of a defined area (allows player to log in and play the character, receive visitors, but bounty hunters might be interested if the character steps outside)

- outlaw tag can be attached globally for a fixed period of time (e,g, a week), so even at home a criminal could be hunted down (i.e., a criminal is then on the run, or can turn himself/herself in to serve a prison term)

- Sentences might be commensurate to relative experience/skill levels of characters to prevent high-levels from picking on newbies; e.g., (a penalty) = (standard penalty) x [log(Level of PKer) - log(Level of Victim)] (or something like that, I am not a mathematician!)

Cases:

- an assassination of a rival guild\'s political leader outside of the context of an explicitly declared guild war might be \'valid\' and \'justifiable\' in some in-game context but, like in the real world, it should have consequences / sentences for the perpetrator, if caught

- PKer kills in an unprovoked, unwanted battle in town and so is banished from town for two weeks (i.e., now has a hard time re-supplying for two weeks, or accessing services like a bank)

Anyhow, just some thoughts!

Morgenes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 09:43:55 am »
i think PK should be enabled too.

- PK should be possible for all characters in all places;

I\'m ok.

- game mechanics should permit \'outlaw tag\' that attaches to characters who perpetrate PKs. Perhaps the crime is not publicly announced (perhaps not even announced to the victim), but the tag would still be attached, so a murderer could TRY to blend into a crowd, but an observant \'public defender\' in that crowd could strike down the murderer right there without himself/herself being labelled a murderer

i don\'t think it\'s a good idea, cause when you see someone, you don\'t know he is a murderer, it\'s not written on his face, so i think outlaw flag isn\'t a good idea.

- PK should be unpenalised in some cases (e.g., guild minions engaged in a declared guild war), but robustly penalised in others, with a variety of penalties;

- Penalty: \'government\' confiscation of \'the proceeds of crime\'

- application of a bounty on the head of outlaws (sounds like a quest to me!)

ok whith this, it sounds very good to me.

- Penalty: permanent \'branding\' of character as \'murderer\'

- Penalty: corporal punishment (i.e., lose ability points)

I\'m not ok with stats loose or only if the guy insists ...

- Penalty: house arrest, whereby outlaw tag is attached to character outside of a defined area (allows player to log in and play the character, receive visitors, but bounty hunters might be interested if the character steps outside)

Jail is usefull, but should be used carrefully ....
:D
  Morgenes
-- All we are is dust in the wind. --