Author Topic: To PK or not to PK  (Read 5996 times)

Nietal

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2003, 12:19:46 am »
Well, I\'m here for immersion, and that would be all but impossible without PK.

I like the idea of bounty hunters, and maybe limit pk\'ing to players within 3 or 5 levels of where you are? The fights would be somewhat even, individual strengths would really matter, and maybe impose the aforementioned penalties for killing a lower level player UNLESS they attack you first, then it\'s a free kill. Obviously, there would be no penalty for guild members engaged in a declared war.  This is really a complex subject, but there must be a way to implement PK without lvl50\'s slaughtering lvl3\'s. And, PK must be there to really give good immersion to the player.

Just my HO, this wouldn\'t be worthwhile without PK... I would probably get bored and just go elsewhere, as would others, I think.

Nietal
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 12:21:11 am by Nietal »
Si vis pacem, parabellum

Psycon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2003, 04:08:08 pm »
I just wanna have the chance to kill any thief who steals from me if I catch him.

The guildwar idea seems ok. Why not give it a try and comment after?
#################################
Meat shield in Incensio Tenebrae
http://www.seperot.com/it/home.php

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2003, 01:56:07 am »
Fist I want to clarify what I think PK means...

Player Killing (pking) means you are farming player characters to collect items, instead of NPCs. It is only possible in a system that has PvP combat allowed in zones that you normally would be playing in.  This is different than arena combat.

Now my two cents....

A system that allows PKing adds an element of danger and can give you a much bigger rush than a PvE game.  BUT! Player vs Player (PvP) does not add anything to realism.  I am getting annoyed by this comment.  Is it realistic to be in a world where you are constantly sent back to some point of origin when your health drops to zero? Is it realistic to commit murder and then have some sort of red flag over your head?  A MMORPG is NOT realistic!  

What I have noticed is that games that have a PK danger are LESS roleplay oriented and more \"game like\" than ones that are PvE.  So, just admit it, you want to PK because it is Fun for you.  For some it is fun to sneak up on a player while he or she is baking a cake or resting or someother thing and \"testing\" your new 75th level infernal flame of damnation spell, or maybe your new mind control power!

The MMORPG PK game is simple... at low levels you form power leveling groups to get to the max level as fast as possible.   At high levels you find the weaker target and press the attack button.   Because your \"level\" has the greatest outcome on the battle, most battles are total mismatches.   The true skill in a PK game is not PKing!!!!!  It getting exp points and items when everyone is out to get you.  Typically this kind of system destroys any roleplay experience.  However this does not mean the game is not fun.

Exodus

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2003, 01:30:48 pm »
I gotta vote for depends how.

Some situations with PKing ( like dueling, arena combat, guild vs guild, nation vs nation etc...) give all parties a fair chance at combat.  Other situations (like a lvl 50 hunting lvl 10\'s) are complete BS, those are the ones that ruin games for every1.

Maldore

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2003, 01:39:42 pm »
ive said it before and ill say it again..pk\'ing should be allowed..but punishment depending on lvl difference between pk\'er and victim should be thought about
No One Dies A Virgin, Cos In The End Life F**ks Us All!

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2003, 07:17:54 am »
I think it is reasonable to conficate one\'s posessions after a PK. But I still think PKing should be in the game... pe:
You hate someone sooo much that you\'re willing to exact revenge at any cost, even your ultra equipment. There\'s nothing like moral/mental satisfaction.  :D
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Boldstorm

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2003, 06:12:39 pm »
I have heard several times there is going to be no actual levels in the game so how can you enforce a level 50 going after a level 10 if there is no such thing? Also if there are penalties would it apply to both parties o t only the person who initiated the attack? Would you be penalized for killing in self-defense? If you want to be fair about penalties then you should get penalzed even for killing in self defense. Because that was your choice to kill instead of maybe do enough damage to knock your attacker unconcsious.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2003, 07:29:14 pm »
If people would actually roleplay, and only kill people when they have a reason for it, I would enjoy PvP, however it isn\'t like that. Griefers start hunting people instead of monsters, only to be a pain in the rear for everyone else, and that\'s why I never have supported PvP in any way. Of course, if you had the chance of getting your character removed permanently from the game, for being caught after killing someone, I\'d like it, however if not, it\'s just a question about time before the PKers start ruining the game for others. Personally, I think it does not matter at all, whether only some parts of the world has PvP enabled, or if it\'s the whole world. It\'s the fact that people misuse the PvP concept to get rid of people who they think are not k00l enough.

So, if there\'s a very strong consequence for killing someone, reason or no reason, I\'m in for it. Otherwise, I\'d say keep it to pre-arranged duels and arenas.

Besides, it\'s impossible to RolePlay PvP in a MMORPG, as there simply are too many people who don\'t do it, and it kindof spoils the RolePlay element.
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2003, 12:03:39 am »
Gronomist,

Most people, myself included don\'t really roleplay.  The best you will get from me is an ocational \"Orcs must die\" warcry.  There are very few roleplayers on this board. It is true PvP can destort roleplay, but it is not really there to begin with.

In the darkages farmers and bakers were living in very opressive situations.  You would like hard core PvP.  You can roleplay by claiming the pkers have opressed you, and then having to turn to high council and beg for some protection from them. All the while having to pay a 75% percent tax.

If you tell the high council that you can not pay your tax this month because some player named \"phatlewt\" killed you and took all of the money you made from selling Kran berry pies then I am sure a bounty hunter will be sent out.

meket

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2003, 06:47:10 am »
why train if u cant kill someone? i dont get it pointless isnt it?

and so there is this arena crap eh....now if u were the strongest player in PS...why would anyone bother to fight u in the arena...sounds..dumb...

ive got no really good ideas how to fix it, but...why not let people pk all they want, but every time they kill someone they get more evil and such, more evil u get the more shops wont want to deal with u, and if u get too evil guards will whack ya?

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2003, 05:31:41 am »
Meket,
I agree with you about the Arena concept.   Arena combat is very different than open field PvP.   It is good to have in game.  But generally Arena\'s are something that newbies mistakenly step into and get killed by a seasoned player who see them do it.  I speak from the experience of being the newbie on this one.

As for the reason to level your skill if you don\'t have PvP, let me answer your question with a question.  Have you ever heard of EQ?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 05:32:47 am by derwoodly »

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2003, 06:27:50 am »
kapa!!! I\'m fully in support of full PVP. I\'ve been playing muonine for some time now, and they have full PVP. If u kill u\'r rep goes down, and u\'r name starts to go red. When it\'s red anyone can kill u with out their rep going down. U should see the hunting parties that develop near town gates. Anyone who\'s killed lots gets sliced apart as soon as they step out. :D

Ryuu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2003, 11:54:47 am »
I beleive that PKing is always a good element to have in a gema with some acceptions. But the problem is that having safe zones will only mean people who manage to hack the game can have a one-way-fight- vs a defenceless newbe.
-sugesstion: players can only atack charicers a certain ammount of levels lower than them, but, charcters lowerr than that magin would have to start the combat in order to go lower than that margin
I think I need a drink!

elscouta

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2003, 12:03:28 pm »
Originally posted by Xordan
kapa!!! I\'m fully in support of full PVP. I\'ve been playing muonine for some time now, and they have full PVP. If u kill u\'r rep goes down, and u\'r name starts to go red. When it\'s red anyone can kill u with out their rep going down. U should see the hunting parties that develop near town gates. Anyone who\'s killed lots gets sliced apart as soon as they step out. :D

I completely agree with Xordan :) Even if i have never played MU, that\'s what i\'d like to see in PS
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 12:04:22 pm by elscouta »
High Loremaster of the Arcane Order.

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2003, 10:37:31 pm »
Originally posted by derwoodly

I agree with you about the Arena concept.   Arena combat is very different than open field PvP.   It is good to have in game.

I think we should have an arena and an open field...the arena bot player gotta accept while in the field, you attack without any restrictions.