Author Topic: Unreal  (Read 356 times)

leihf

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Unreal
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:02:03 pm »
Hi,

I used to play this game a few years earlier and came back to see some news. It made me feel nostalgic to see it again :)
I saw that you want to use Unreal engine and faced issues because it's not designed for MMO (I think it's about the network communication)

It seems a new team / MMO faced the same problem (as they want to use Unreal engine too) and is developping a solution for that.
I don't know if they make it open source or if they can share "privately" these parts with you, but you can always have a look or ask them.
the MMO is Ashes of Creation https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Tiilt/

leihf

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:04:44 pm »
I hope it will help you  ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:33:56 am »
Thank you.

Motion prediction considering network latency is an issue almost independently of the used 3D graphic engine. Some gaming engine may have useful prediction solutions already implemented, other projects need to add their own efforts. I am quite confident that our developers know about this issue already and will find a solution in one or another way; but comparing with other ideas is never wrong.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:25 am »

Motion prediction (at least for regular moving character) is already included in UE4 and works fairly well.

The "not designed for MMOs" is referring to various other issues, for example, by default in UE4, if 1 players moves to another map, all players move. (This is typical shooter behavior, where the host of the match loads a new map, and everyone spawns in it.)

Another example would be the lack of any database connection code (most match based (and player hosted) games do not use a database for any of the game code anyway, so why add it?)

Now we already have a solution for these specific cases, but just to illustrate the kinds of problems you can run into when using a game engine designed for first person shooters/action games and try to transform it into an MMO. That being said, none of these problems are impossible to fix, it's just that you can't use any "out of the box" solutions.
Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.