Author Topic: Laptop User Spec  (Read 717 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop User Spec
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 04:08:27 am »
Unless you specifically want to use Linux, I don't see any need to replace your OS or set it up for dual boot. A third option is to run a vmware instance ( I think it's called virtual box these days ) and run the desired OS and game within that instance. Yet another option would be to set up a usb live-boot image ... but if you are asking for machine specs then I'm guessing that you are probably not interested in going to these extents.

The game works with Windows... so I hear.

Mr Tennet

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • The Lodge Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 04:38:10 am »
Thanks for the feedback  everyone. I don't need to run PS in all is glory, actually got it running on an Asus notebook, AMD C-60, 1 GB ram, no dedicated GPU, I hate these things even more than laptops :). I have used Linux now for more than 10 years and already have a self built desktop. Just want something to roam with so After your advice it looks like I am looking for a second hand i3, Dell, HP or Lenovo. Should manage that for £200 or less.
The large print giveth and & the small print taketh away.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 06:32:18 am »
From my experiences, i would go for lenovo from your options. ;)

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 11:27:54 am »
For Linux I´d either go with ThinkPad or maybe, I am not sure yet, something like Tuxedo Computers or a similar Linux laptop retailer, there is at least an international one as well. I am not yet sure whether how they are with a built quality that matches my expectations, especially regarding the keyboard. But the model policy and expandability of ThinkPads kinda sucks.

So far I never worked on any laptop with a better keyboard than a ThinkPad tough. I even have an external ThinkPad USB compact keyboard meanwhile, although its a bit stiffer than the internal one from my ThinkPad T520. With Intel Sandybridge graphics it is still fast enough *for me* to play PlaneShift with above medium, but not highest quality graphics setting in Full HD resolution (1920x1080). Note its between 15 to 50 fps, so if you are into PvP… this won´t cut your needs. I didn´t test Crystal Hunt yet, but I am pretty sure that anything recent like Skylake or even Kabylake will be able to just play PlaneShift easily, even on Unreal. Its about 3-4 generations or more after Sandybridge and for some generational switches they managed to double the speed in most areas. Actually even a *used* ThinkPad like T540 and above, i.e. Haswell, may be good enough.

*However* regarding freedom from Intel Advanced Management Technology (AMT) remote access crap… I am still also looking for AMD based laptops. With a nice APU they may provide better GFX performance than integrated Intel graphics. Yet if you want a laptop that has a slim and elegant thing instead of a heavy brick as a power supply and a long battery life, I strongly advise against any laptop with external GPU. On Linux I advice against NVidia anyway. Just search "NVidia fuck you" on youtube or probably other video sites for a nice summary from Linus for the reason for that recommendation.
Love,
Damola

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 01:34:24 am »
Thinkpad is fine but there is one flaw that totally breaks workflow for most people:

they put the darn Fn to wrong (left) side of the rightctrl.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 09:54:32 pm »
Sharpkeys fixes any weird keyboard layouts.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows