Author Topic: Laptop User Spec  (Read 708 times)

Mr Tennet

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • The Lodge Forum
Laptop User Spec
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:47:12 pm »
It is time for me to buy a new laptop, I have never been comfortable with them, darn things, but need something that can roam around the house with me. The toughest thing it will have to cope with will be PS so am wondering what the current player base is using. If you play PS on a laptop, even with lower graphics settings please post your Manufacturer, Model number and spec here.
The large print giveth and & the small print taketh away.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop User Spec
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:50:11 pm »
You should probably get a dedicated GPU for the sake of running PS without having to fiddle around.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 03:01:07 pm »
Considering that the dev team is or was looking at porting the game to eu4 (unreal) it might be a good idea to get a laptop that meets those requirements too.

I don't have those requirements handy atm.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:19:19 pm »
I'm not on a laptop, but apparently my PC is a bit low end for PlaneShift nowadays - no wonder, it's 9 years old. BUT the only difference between a lap and a desk is a few fans and that everything is crammed together.

That being said, I'm playing on a 256Mb VRAM, 4Gb RAM, 3.06GHz 2 core machine. The rest is addons. The client runs just about... "fine" to say something. But consider the following: if you're looking to be up to date with UE4, you should plan ahead.

Think that Epic Games won't stop there and go further with UE5, so I'd recommend someting with 2Gb of VRAM tops, 8Gb RAM, and any CPU with at least 4 cores, so we're talking an i5 or equivalent. I'm fairly certain you can find a lappy like that somewhere. But if I can recommend... building yourself a desktop might result in less of a headache and room for improvement later on.

Then again, I'm a cat, not a cop. So do as you wish. Am I the only one that has given him actual specs?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:42:47 pm »
You should also reconsider when buying that you can install linux to your laptop, everything runs far smoother than on windows, exspecially with the lighter distros, so you won't need as good specs as mishka said. I once run PS on very old laptop, which had bodhi on it and was way smoother than i expected.

Radanar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
Don't know your budget or if you'd even consider a MacBook, but it's what I use when I want to be out on my patio when not using my iMac and it works very well.

2012, 2.3 GHz 4 core i7, 4 GB ram. You could also natively run Windows 7 or Linux on this too.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 06:52:15 am »
You should also reconsider when buying that you can install linux to your laptop, everything runs far smoother than on windows, exspecially with the lighter distros, so you won't need as good specs as mishka said. I once run PS on very old laptop, which had bodhi on it and was way smoother than i expected.

Anything is smoother than Windows unless you've got a beefy thing.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 04:22:40 am »
Indeed, poibt being you won't need beefy laptop if you are fine ditching windows.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 08:18:02 am »
Point is, Mac and Linux are more efficient because UNIX-based OS's are usually running cleaner than the unoptimized package of crap that's Windows, which is DOS based. But I'm not telling you to get a dedicated laptop. You can get a 1Gb VRAM, 4GB RAM, 2.GHz lappy with a 1TB HDD or SSD and make a partition. Dedicate 750Gb to your Windows stuff, and 250Gb to games like PS, or even less.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 02:09:46 pm »
Windows hasn't ran on DOS since NT and XP. That's the reason none of my Dos games will work! :'( That and nothing has floppy drives 5 1/4 or 3 1/2. ;D

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 09:50:06 pm »
OP, if you're used to Windows, I suggest getting a Windows laptop. These guys aren't considering the outrageous prices for Apple products and the rarity of laptops with no pre-installed OS (for installing Linux). Windows is absolutely fine for gaming and better in most cases than either of the other OS's mentioned.

You can always install Linux if you don't like Windows or Mac. But if you're used to Windows and you get a Mac, you may hate the experience. And vice versa.

As for specs, you really don't need much to run PS. But I suggest having a dedicated GPU with at least 2GB VRAM. You could definitely run the game on an i3 or similar CPU (if it's one of the faster ones). Laptops with dedicated GPUs usually come with at least i5's, though. If you're not planning on playing any modern games on high settings, both of those will give you a reasonably nice experience.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 01:58:48 am »
You don't need computer with no preinstalled os,you can just go with dual boot and the installation is pretty easy if you want linux (depends from distro tho)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 10:43:51 pm »
Not everyone wants to pay the extra cash for an OS, though. Maybe OP isn't worried about that. In which case he probably won't want to bother dual-booting since he already has an OS for running PS.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 02:28:36 am »
True, but if you have a lot of windows games/software you might want to have dual boot with win cause wine always doesnt work so perfectly (but works, too).