Author Topic: Servers keep going down  (Read 1197 times)

mikuhagane

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Servers keep going down
« on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:35 am »
I am using a Macbook Pro. OS Sierra 10.12.6.

I have to open the game with the psclient_static with the terminal. Two times that I have been in the middle of character creation, the servers have lost connection. Below is what I get in terminal.

Wed Feb  7 11:04:12 2018, <src/plugins/common/soundmanager/manager.cpp:415 InitSoundHandle SEVERE>
Wed Feb  7 11:04:12 2018, Error: PlaySound got NULL as soundname
Wed Feb  7 11:04:12 2018,
Wed Feb  7 11:04:18 2018, <src/plugins/common/soundmanager/manager.cpp:415 InitSoundHandle SEVERE>
Wed Feb  7 11:04:18 2018, Error: PlaySound got NULL as soundname
Wed Feb  7 11:04:18 2018,
Wed Feb  7 11:04:18 2018, <src/client/psengine.cpp:1938 FatalError SEVERE>
Wed Feb  7 11:04:18 2018, Server is not responding, try again in 5 minutes. Check http://planeshift.teamix.org/ page for status.
Wed Feb  7 11:04:18 2018,
Wed Feb  7 11:04:24 2018, <src/common/util/localization.cpp:211 WriteStringTable SEVERE>
Wed Feb  7 11:04:24 2018, Could not write stringtable file '/this/lang/english/stringtable.xml'.
psEngine destroyed.
DEBUG: Closing OpenAL sound system
DEBUG: Destroying context
logout
Saving session...

Any way to fix this? I have tried on multiple wifi.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
Re: Servers keep going down
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 11:07:42 pm »
Hi mikyhagane and sorry replying so late!
What are your current settings? Usually wrong settings cause more crashes simply put.
Looking at the log i  guess best bet is changing sound renderer from options > Audio via launcher, but i am not 100% sure since i haven't used much macs

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:34:34 am »
I doubt that the sound system would be the reason for "Server not responding". That should quite clearly be a network issue. An online game is more sensitive to packets not arriving for a few seconds than a web browser. There are many possible reasons, from flaky WLAN devices (try with cable instead) to misbehaving routers (reboot once to compare) to messed configurations in devices outside your house, managed by your ISP.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:07:54 am »
hmm, i have got server not responding status when it clearly responded.

Radanar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:57:50 am »
I have a question... why are you launching psclient with terminal? Why can't you just double click the psclient.app file to launch the game as with any other app? I don't have any troubles playing on an 2012 iMac with latest Mac OS or any previous OS.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 04:19:20 am »
I think the issue is this part:
Could not write stringtable file '/this/lang/english/stringtable.xml'.

Ensure the user you are using to launch PS can write that file. Or change the permissions on that file so everyone can write it.

mikuhagane

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:56 am »
I have a question... why are you launching psclient with terminal? Why can't you just double click the psclient.app file to launch the game as with any other app? I don't have any troubles playing on an 2012 iMac with latest Mac OS or any previous OS.

It simply does not work for me. I get this giant error page about it quitting unexpectedly.

mikuhagane

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:54 am »

Ensure the user you are using to launch PS can write that file. Or change the permissions on that file so everyone can write it.

As the admin and only account of the computer I should have permission to write it....I also can not find the file when I search it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:22:34 am by mikuhagane »

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 11:31:25 am »

As the admin and only account of the computer I should have permission to write it....I also can not find the file when I search it.

If you can't find that file then you should try pressing the repair button via launcher and it should detect the missing file and download it there.

mikuhagane

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:49:29 am »

If you can't find that file then you should try pressing the repair button via launcher and it should detect the missing file and download it there.

Where is that button? I can not open the launcher either. The PSLaunch does nothing, does not even open, and the PSClient crashes immediately.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:08:10 pm »
Try reinstalling the game?

mikuhagane

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »
Try reinstalling the game?

Have tried that twice. I also got the same problems on my older 2012 Macbook Pro....

Radanar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 11:30:05 pm »
I don't know mikuhagane, some people's systems seem to have troubles while others don't.
I'm guessing you know how to install things well enough, but just in case... after you get and uncompress the installer, you need to run the installation process. I've seen a lot of posts from people who seem to be trying to run the game from the installer file itself instead of actually running it to install the game first. That would lead to a lot of file read/write errors. It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly what the installer file for PlaneShift is, but guessing a .dmg?

After a successful installation, you will have a folder named PlaneShift, located in either your user Applications folder or your System Applications folder depending on your choice during installation.

Inside this PlaneShift application folder you will find the psclient.app for starting the game, the pslaunch.app for making some configurations to the game, and the file Talad mentioned: "your-admin-name"/PlaneShift/lang/english/stringtable.xml

You will also end up with a game preferences folder installed here: "your-admin-name"/Library/Application Support/Planeshift.
If you do not see the Library folder it is invisible by default. To open it just hold down the option key when selecting the GO menu in Finder, and select Library from the dropdown list.
A good file for troubleshooting here is planeshift.cfg which will be rewritten at startup if removed.

I don't know if you also ran the pslaunch.app to do any updates or set configurations after you installed PlaneShift, but I have seen topics in the MacOS forum here where people said changing the sound preferences fixed crashing. Also, the updater itself is notorious for crashing during updating before it finishes. If that happens, I've also seen a good post about how to continue the update after an updater crash.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:47:55 pm by Radanar »