Author Topic: This game is not fun  (Read 4085 times)

Lady Crankenstein

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: This game is not fun unless YOU are fun
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 10:34:14 am »
I have endless thrills with the RP because I am a part of what makes it what it cane be... and .. I have attracted others with imagination and a mind for fun....  on the bad side, the quests are a fraggin nightmare to endure for any gain I hope to achieve... but bottom line is that intead of looking for a system that entertains me... I use the system to create enertainment.
Lady Crankenstein

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: This game is not fun
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:26:36 pm »
PlaneShift is very good for it being what it is. I had never used any MMORPG when I first tried PS, so I did not suffer from comparison syndrome. In so far as it is not a completed experience, it does have many areas where it is lacking. But there is not another project like this one. I'm not really sure I could take another.

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »
IMHO: This thread has no sense to be continued as the topic starter is not participating.

NoriMori

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 02:38:09 pm »
I agree that the game isn't all that fun. Everything is a chore when it should be enjoyable. But I keep playing. Why? Well, it's not because I'm mentally ill, as Jekkar suggested. It's because I feel like I'm helping make this game better by playing (i.e. I can point out bugs and give feedback). Plus, I know that this game is not anywhere near a finished state, so I cut it some slack. I also like meeting new people on PlaneShift and chatting with them into the wee hours of the morning. And then there's my whole "beggars can't be choosers" mentality. I searched forever to find an MMORPG that is in 3D, is compatible with Mac, and is totally free. This is all that I found. I am a beggar here, I can't really be a chooser.

I also find that Lady Crankenstein's comment very accurately reflects how I feel about this game.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 03:36:53 pm »
sounds like PS's developers need to do a gameplay overhaul.

i bet they haven't even glanced at this thread.

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 04:28:54 pm »
It's because I feel like I'm helping make this game better by playing.

I've been playing for 7-8 years now. It didn't get any better.
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 05:01:29 pm »
ive been playing a long time, most of the time I only go on for chatting, nothign else. Before back in 2008 i think, or before that, it was a lot more fun beacuse there were more events going on

Noobstorm

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 01:45:58 pm »
Thank you for the responses, I was expecting to get flamed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:52:53 pm by Noobstorm »

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 03:03:41 pm »

;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:12:42 pm by BoevenF »

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 04:05:04 pm »
Actually, the frightening part is that it won't die. It will just keep going as it is. Brains... more brains!

Elledi

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 02:01:36 am »

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 03:17:17 am »
it's funny when a troll is right.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 01:29:04 am »
I do find PS boring at times, at the moment I'm not really on that often as I'm busy with School at the moment.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Belgarel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 07:18:03 pm »
(Sorry about this long, bad-written message ; English is not my mother tongue, so I can't make all my ideas appear in a few words, and I go through many problems as soon as I try to write it down ; so please, be lenient.)
I'm a supernoob, who has played no MMORPG except 4story before. Yet I think you're a little hard there, saying it's absolutely boring.
I don't know yet what the game looks like after playing some time, but I think it can and will be really improved.

The main issues for a beginner, I'd say, is that most of the time you've got no clear indication about what to do and how to do it : where is the character I need to find to complete my quest (the character who gave the quest will sometimes give absolutely no hint to help the player find him, like in which city we may find the NPC) ; where may I find monsters, or merchants ; how do I train a skill (really, as if a left-click on the name of the skill wasn't sufficient, you have to type /train or use an unnecessary shortcut -it's the kind of things it is worth explaining in the tutorial, instead of telling how to use the furnace - the same goes with the command /use, while it would be so easy to right-click the item in the inventory, or drag it towards a "use" button).
The result of which is that the noob will spend litterally hours wandering around, searching for NPCs in a city where they probably can't be found and not daring to ask if anyone knows of these (after all, do we have the right to ask for help with the quests ?), visiting again and again the same places, hearing the same midi music (which can be annoying after a few moments), and asking NPCs if they have information (before realizing that they will never tell him where Shoska Bloodhammer dwells, even if he is two meters away, and just repeat "Stop talking nonesense.", and that they all basically say the same thing).

The game is not finished yet ; however, I think it needs to be simpler (which can be done, for instance, by deleting this command system that forces us to go from the inventory to the chat window) and that it still does not welcomes the new players proprely (I still had plenty of questions after the tutorial, and having to read several uncomplete guides in the game and on the wiki, in which you are well explained how to fight a rat, like in the tutorial, and yet expected to know that you have to find the right NPC to increase your stats).
I do think that being a good player is also a matter of morals. Therefore, the fact that this game is still under development, and aims to be fully free and mainly OpenSource means that even if you have never owned any lvl 86 character on WoW, or spent entire days on FF XI like a game addict, as long as you see, behind the game being created, what it stands for and what it may become, you are a good player.
This project cannot fail, and the team needs advice, not bare criticism. Saying "the gameplay is dull and boring" won't explain where is the problem. And so on...

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:11 am »
The main issues for a beginner, I'd say, is that most of the time you've got no clear indication about what to do and how to do it : where is the character I need to find to complete my quest (the character who gave the quest will sometimes give absolutely no hint to help the player find him, like in which city we may find the NPC) ; where may I find monsters, or merchants ; how do I train a skill (really, as if a left-click on the name of the skill wasn't sufficient, you have to type /train or use an unnecessary shortcut -it's the kind of things it is worth explaining in the tutorial, instead of telling how to use the furnace - the same goes with the command /use, while it would be so easy to right-click the item in the inventory, or drag it towards a "use" button).
The result of which is that the noob will spend litterally hours wandering around, searching for NPCs in a city where they probably can't be found and not daring to ask if anyone knows of these (after all, do we have the right to ask for help with the quests ?), visiting again and again the same places, hearing the same midi music (which can be annoying after a few moments), and asking NPCs if they have information (before realizing that they will never tell him where Shoska Bloodhammer dwells, even if he is two meters away, and just repeat "Stop talking nonesense.", and that they all basically say the same thing).

all of this can be remedied through Role Play.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.