Author Topic: This game is not fun  (Read 4079 times)

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: This game is not fun
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 03:14:42 pm »
I agree with Sarras, I only go on to chat with people. I also am in EZPC also now and I started training there because i've met a few people. If I haven't met them, I wouldn't be training or wouldn't even be in EZPC, i'd just go online for 5 minutes and then log off. But now I go on hours a day chatting while training.

Questing sucks and it's very boring. So is crafting, mining and training. Even RP, you will find those snobs who will label you. I really just go on ZP to chat or to duel. Occasionally I train, If I have nothing else to do.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 03:38:35 pm »

Questing sucks and it's very boring. So is crafting, mining and training. Even RP, you will find those snobs who will label you. I really just go on ZP to chat or to duel. Occasionally I train, If I have nothing else to do.

I have some ideas on crafting but I want to flesh them out before I approach Talad with them.  Since my time is rather sporadic I would rather have a plan together first. 
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 05:41:14 am »
I couldn't agree more with what Sarras and Shrapnel has said!!
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Chucki

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:42 am »
Lol, someone posted a thread saying the game is no fun and it has four pages of dramatic, emotional, heartbreakingly sad replies already.

shrapnel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 06:38:57 am »

It's not fun when quests leave you clueless, or frustrated because you don't know where to go, who to see, or if you have to initiate the conversation by typing, or hoping the dialog box pops up all the time.  Players can't directly do much about it, except file bug reports where it's a bug, and grumble when it's not. Devs need more people with all the right access to all the appropriate code and IP to fix it properly.
Heres the thing, the only time I recall the message box ever popping up for 'any' quest, is when you give the ol, I need a quest, chat, the box pops up to accept or deny, never after that, That does NOT mean you have to type the rest of the quest, if you right click the npc and hit them lips, you get your next set of choices..

PERHAPS I should have been clearer. There are times when even clicking on those red lips turns up a No Quest Information message, when I've heard rumors that the quest exists, but you have to manually initiate it by typing.  IF the NPC expects a reply, AND the converstion was started with the dialog box, what reason is there for it NOT popping up automatically with your pre-scripted responses (that any others, will get the don't understand messages, or in some quests, give you them with an answer from the dialog box) I did figure out the lips-thing AFTER I posted that initially, but... I ultimately still see no future here if devs don't want to find out why people abandon PS and take the reasons into consideration. They just might as well just get a live-chat room or two open for RPing (scripted or ad-libbed)

Like I said before, I can understand the lack of DEV team, GMs, Testers, etc... after all, they are all non-paying positions held by those who have faith in this game's existence, Believe deeply in the Genre, or need the experience to get hired by a commercial studio. What I don't understand is why it seems like the environment FAILS and then drives people off (Since I've been back, I think I've only seen a player count in the mid-thirties, compared to 100+ back then. that's better than a 50% loss.)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 10:14:25 am »
Well, this topic is something I've already bitterly complained about ad nauseam, so I'll skip that bit for now. No need to even reference the old complaints since not a blessed thing has changed, and new and old complaints blend seamlessly as a result. ;D

However, I will say this, complaining, explaining, offering suggestions, passionate pleas, bashing people's heads in with logic, etc. have not really helped in the past. However, pointing stuff out, in the past in particular, used result in the smoldering, charred remains of the forum, so I guess that is at least one chance for the better. But, overall, it doesn't result in the lasting environment change needed to shore up the weak spots.

So, my suggestion is to make a list for yourself of what you are looking for in PS. I'm serious, identify what it is exactly that you are looking to get out of this game. If what you are looking for has to do with people, do what you can to find the people that fit that. The RP preferences thread is already a big step in that direction. Make use of it. ;) If what you are looking for is game mechanics and requires code, or someone making something, go find yourself another game. PS doesn't have the resources to change and it can't motivate the playerbase like it used to so new help won't come as fast either.

Ultimately, you just have to play PS for the fun you can get from it, and move on when the fun goes away.

And yes Aiwendil.... I know. You told me so.  :P

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 10:26:15 am »

Where I work, we have a saying:   "It is what it is."
If you want to have fun, you need to make friends and enjoy their company.

Unless you have a serious case of autism and OCD and enjoy just sitting there all alone and clicking on things...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 10:52:00 am »
It always reminds me on the DVD about Yehudi Menuhin I once witnessed its production at "digital images":

The bad teacher tells his pupil he was wrong. The good teacher tells his pupil how to advance.

Or in a different way: Complaining is easy. Improving is not.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

shrapnel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

Where I work, we have a saying:   "It is what it is."
If you want to have fun, you need to make friends and enjoy their company.

Unless you have a serious case of autism and OCD and enjoy just sitting there all alone and clicking on things...

Insulting any player base that's left with legitimate medical conditions is definitely no way to improve the user base, or help keep the user base you still have. Of course the game "is what it is." And obviously, improving isn't easy while complaining is! Pushing buttons all day isn't fun either, especially when the buttons and underlying sub-structures don't work as advertised/as they should.

Everything depends upon the quality of experience . . . just as no man lives or dies to himself, so no experience lives and dies to itself. Isn't Planeshift supposed to be about the WHOLE experience? If the experience with a broken and tedious questing system, or having playable races removed from playability (when they should have actually been reserved until ready to play) an experience with Planeshift? All the experiences COMBINED is what makes up the Planeshift experience, and when enough of the small experiences fail, it reflects badly on the whole. To tell a user, who complains about something, to just "^&%#-Off," shows elitism and a total lack of respect of ALL players. Any experience is mis-educative that has the effect of arresting or distorting the growth of further experience.

The bad teacher tells his pupil he was wrong. The good teacher tells his pupil how to advance.

Or in a different way: Complaining is easy. Improving is not.

"Only a teacher? Thank God I have a calling to the greatest profession of all! I must be vigilant every day lest I lose one fragile opportunity to improve tomorrow." Ivan Welton Fitzwater

Who is the teacher and who is the student?
"Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner; put yourself in his place so that you may understand . . . what he learns and the way he understands it." Soren Kierkegaard

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 07:37:26 pm »
If you want the game to be better, roll up your sleeves and join the dev team.
If you can't code then don't complain; its pointless, trust me.

Believe me, we have all seen the game's shortcomings. Its buggy and has its faults. There is no agument there. I've found that constructively pointing out what could be improved did nothing. Complaining loudly did nothing either. Personally, I don't really care that much any more. If the game tanks again, I'll just pack up go to another game or forum.  What I have observed, however; is that people seem to stick around because of the other players that they meet - whether they are role players, power levelers, or forum trolls.

I didn't mean to insult you or anybody with autism or OCD with what I said earlier. I was merely using those images to express how repetitious and monotonous the game is. Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.