Author Topic: "Server dropped us (invalid error message)"  (Read 776 times)

untra

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
"Server dropped us (invalid error message)"
« on: February 26, 2005, 05:22:16 am »
hello,

Since version 3.007 I can\'t play PS more than 2 or 3 minutes. I\'m playing and the server disconnects me with the message \"Server dropped us. (Invalid error message)\". I have 2 characters (not the same race) and this happens everytime, with both.

I have the latest CVS (26-02-2005) code of: cal3d, CS, cel and planeshift,  in a Linux Debian Sid.

This is a problem of the server or a problem of my client?

Thanks in advance.

Tharizdun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Client problem I think
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 07:19:40 am »
I have been seeing this error also since rebuilding my planeshift installation from CVS on the 24th. It looks like the issue is still present now judging from your post.

I\'ve noticed it happens more often around the arena or sewers, basically wherever there is combat taking place. In the tavern or arena I have not seen the error pop up, but yet it happens without fail if I leave those places for the arena...

kmare

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 09:35:35 am »
I\'m having this problem too... using gentoo and the latest cvs. Also I got another problem. The current cvs won\'t compile with gcc 3.4. I can switch to the gcc 3.3 profile but it\'s kinda annoying.
Anyway thanx to all developers for such a great game.

agon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:18:44 am »
Co the best will be to get CVS from 23th ?

Or the older are buggy as well ?

Tharizdun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 05:04:59 am »
I built my CVS on the 24th because it was just after the version on the server was updated to 3.007 ( the same version that my client build was reporting ), and my existing client was crashing immediately when trying to pivot the viewpoint / display window.

The update fixed the graphics crash issue, but introduced this one. I tried to do a rebuild yesterday which died when trying to compile a CS plugin, so I\'m not sure how good the current crops of CVS are at the moment.

Try the 23rd, or maybe a day or two earlier, but not any earlier or later than that, unless you want to try the very latest CVS. Let us all know how well it works, or not :)

death jr.

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
aaaaaaaahhg
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:42:40 am »
Im maaad, it took me like a month to find a game i really like, and i cant play it because of this shit, stoop it,  FIX IT!!!!

schaal egnog

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 12:25:08 pm »
I just experienced this same essage when I was down in the sewers... it is rather annoying.... but I understand it must be difficult to get everything right.  

would anyone be able to shed some light on this... I can\'t even move one step when I sign in now before i get this message
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 12:30:53 pm by schaal egnog »

agon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 02:41:12 pm »
I have just builded current CVS source and the problem is still here.
May be I will try 22 or 23 but, for now I dont want to build another, maby tomorow.

BTW:when you were building planeshift, were you builded CS cel and cal3d too ? I thing each update I must rebuild everything.

Tharizdun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 05:44:59 pm »
Its not 100% necessary to update cal3d/cs/cel, but its far quicker to cvs update and recompile all these than it is to do a mere update against the planeshift sources, so I usually do. Watch for the files that are patched during the update, if no code is updated in the process then you might as well skip the recompile and move onto the next component, because nothing has changed. I find cal3d in particular does not have the development pace that CrystalSpace has for example, so they might go for days without patches and the need to recompile this part.

Platyna

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 06:32:28 pm »
I had this problem while using CVS from Feb 26...today downloaded the CVS
and I couldn\'t even compile it so I am now using source from Feb 21 and
I have no problem like that. It is available at http://platyna.xpam.de
planeshift/,
cs and cel I\'ve used too - if someone wants to play with it.

Regards.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 06:33:57 pm by Platyna »
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
RPG Players Community || Platyna\'s Planeshift Warehouse
\"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\" -- Edward Burke

joejoe

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 07:13:36 am »
Hope they\'ll fix that....though they released a new update...this wasn\'t fixed

ltabdiel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 01:35:02 pm »
right I am still having the problem, anyone have the files that work on windows, if you can zip em up, email em to ltabdiel@gmail.com and I will host em.

Tharizdun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
CVS update
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 03:05:08 am »
This looks like this has been corrected in the newest planeshift CVS:

*** 2005-03-01 by Andrew Craig
- NPC\'s don\'t send disconnect messages to clients. Was causing
  clients to be dropped.

I rebuilt everything using the latest CS and cel as well, and everything is working well, this bug has gone, though there are a few new quirks.. like how multiple items of the same type are handled in inventory, and the darkness thing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 05:27:35 am by Tharizdun »