Author Topic: "Runtime Error"  (Read 604 times)

Srenkarth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
"Runtime Error"
« on: November 02, 2006, 07:04:21 pm »
Hey, I'm new here, and pretty new to the game too.
So I was playing it for a while, and my character died. He went to hte death realm, and then died again. He went to the beginning. Repeat steps two and three as necessary. Then it was black. I didn't go to the beginning. So I deleted that character and made a new one. It wasn't a big deal; I didn't have any good items and had just started playing. So I deleted him. Then I made him again. This is where my problems began. WheneverI play the game, it starts up and just before the world loads, it says there's a "runtime error" and that the "runtime was terminated in an unusual way"
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but with no success. I used other characters, but it STILL doesn't work!
Help!

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: "Runtime Error"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:49:28 pm »
There is no reason to delete your characters like so - first we have the /unstick command, and then if that fails you can try /die - it will send you to the beginning of the Death Realm.

If your screen is black, you can try restarting the client, running with the -fullbright option, or -relight.

Let's try moving your character right now, and see if you will be able to log in. What is your character's name?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Srenkarth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:10:32 pm »
My main character is Srenkarth Tralwyn. I also have another one named Verwalain Mhartikel that isn't working either.
...And I forgot about the /die command, I should have used that.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 09:15:45 pm »
Okay, both characters have been moved :) Try logging in now - if it doesn't work, I would recommend that you uninstall PlaneShift entirely (make sure no folders remain) and then reinstall and update one more time. Every now and then a new install takes care of problems like this.

Srenkarth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 09:33:12 pm »
Okay, It's still not working. I tried deleting stuff but it won't let me. It's kinda odd. I may just rename the folder and reinstall so it'll still install all of the files. I've got plenty of space on my computer.
Thanks for helping me with this though, I wasn't expecting a response so soon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:36:07 pm by Srenkarth »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:35:47 pm »
(I presume you're on Windows, thus - ) Have you tried uninstalling via your Control Panel? Try rebooting your machine so that no PS processes remain, and then uninstalling as the first thing you do.

Come to think of it, the problem may be that you have some PS process still up and churning away. Reboot, see if you can log in then, and if not then reboot once more and try the uninstall procedure.

Right now I have a really strong suspicion that you simply have psclient.exe still up.

Srenkarth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:39:34 pm »
(Yes I'm runing on Windows  :-\)
I've tried doing it through add/remove programs, and It won't work.

I'm also fairly sure that nothing is open save for this window. There's nothing in task manager, anyway, which usually shows everything that's running. But then again, Windows..

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 09:41:26 pm »
Open up the Task Manager, and look at the Processes tab. Scroll through it carefully and try to find psclient.exe - if you see it, highlight and click on "End Process," and things should be okay :]

Srenkarth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 09:45:30 pm »
Oh man... It works now.
And you have noooooo idea how stupid I feel right now.
Thanks for all your help!

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 09:48:52 pm »
Glad things worked out! I should have thought of this immediately, so it's actually my fault from drawing it out like so. Sorry!

The chances are very good that whenever you get a "Runtime Error" message, psclient.exe is still running in the background. Now that you know how to take care of it though, you shouldn't have further problems :)

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 07:19:43 am »
Even without the Runtime Error Pop up, PSclient.exe sometimes still runs in the background.

Is it going to be fixed in the near future or shoved away for another time?
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop: