Author Topic: New combat system - under development  (Read 1370 times)

Eonwind

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
New combat system - under development
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:28:18 am »
Greetings!

For all of you interested in Rules and the new combat system under development I'm opening this thread both to keep you up to date with the latest development news and hear your opinion about things that will need to be addressed about combat.

First of all a few words about the new system: beside the current system which allows you to make a "standard" attack you'll be able to queue up to 5 "special attacks" or "special maneuvers" (as I favour to call them).
These special attacks will work in a similar fashion like spells, so upon relying on the powerful scripting interface we can have these attacks buff/debuff stun the attacker or the defender and finally play a graphical effect and sound like spells.
Each attack can have prerequisites like require a certain strength or agility, skills requirements, race, etc.

The results we would like to achieve with the new system are:
  • create a realistic system with different styles to suit everyone need and taste
  • make a realistic system (while still preserving gameplay) with the ability to make maneuvers and counter-maneuvers. (The system I have in mind may resemble the late medieval - early renaissance european swordplay styles).
  • Attacks are not spells: we don't want the two systems to overlap (aka attacks will not be just a different form of spellcasting/magic)
  • the system will encompass all type of (implemented) weapons and some style will be cross-weapon
  • some basic special attack will be available to anyone (as long as they've the prerequisites) some other will be purchasable by trainers or by completing quests

You can find the latest informations on styles and special attacks in the wiki.

One last very important thing I want to mention is the current system will force us to make substantial changes to the already existent system, including the standard attack. I will not go down into boring math details, our objective would be to keep the same damage output we have at the moment.

Suggestions, questions and comments are welcome :)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New combat system - under development
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:16:04 am »
I am just afraid that implementing new features means adding new bugs to old bugs, already neglected for years. I know people who are more interested in getting prepared balance attempts finally uploaded to the game database (e.g. fixing Platinum Steel blades with a value less than an Octa, or enabling bulk crafting), than looking forward to having combat even more complex and possibly beginner-frustrating (I already expect new characters being unable to kill a Diseased Rat without a double-boosted attack).

But well, there are different kinds of players. Some may be excited about these plans. And I may be more pessimistic than usual today. Sorry for that downer. :flowers:

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:29:22 am »
Thanks for the info, Eonwind. This looks interesting and will for sure have potential to make combat more entertaining. I am very curious how this will turn out.
I want to see the kikiri style manoeuvre, a quick sequence of vertical swings with a pair of blade weapons  :lol:

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:18:43 am »
Perfect, guys! I'm happy that this is being looked at.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:19:29 am »
I enjoyed the double-blade whirling attack in Gothic 3; the Bastard swords were the biggest supported by this style, but Katanas were the most stylish. When you mastered this style, even wild boars (usually the most dangerous opponent because they keep disrupting your attacks with quick shoves) were no more big issue.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Eonwind

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37:38 am »
I am just afraid that implementing new features means adding new bugs to old bugs, already neglected for years. I know people who are more interested in getting prepared balance attempts finally uploaded to the game database (e.g. fixing Platinum Steel blades with a value less than an Octa, or enabling bulk crafting), than looking forward to having combat even more complex and possibly beginner-frustrating (I already expect new characters being unable to kill a Diseased Rat without a double-boosted attack).

Bugs (new and old) will be fixed like I always did, if an old bug hasn't been fixed yet there is probably an issue that make it difficult to fix, debug or close it. About PS longsword cost they've been fixed long ago and bulk crafting has been enabled for many crafting and will be enabled for more in the future.
About diseased rats ... is a new character able to kill it from the start now?  ;D
We would like to keep the ordinary attack as much as equal to the existing one as possible.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »
This sounds like a terrific improvement.

Three questions:

1. Will these special moves be predetermined, or will the player have an option to put together his or her own unique combinations?

2. Will there be synergy for using these combinations.

3. Assuming two players duel, will both players be able to initiate a sequence of moves at the same time? If so, then how much granularity will there be in determining hits and damage? ( ie. Does the entire sequence hit or miss, or can each step in the sequence potentially hit or miss )

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:52:26 pm »
How do you line up your attacks so you do not run into the problem that is endemic to the short cut system where subsequent actions fail due to triggering before the first action completes?

Eonwind

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 04:17:11 am »
1. Will these special moves be predetermined, or will the player have an option to put together his or her own unique combinations?
Yes, it will be possible to queue up to five attacks at once.

2. Will there be synergy for using these combinations.
Yes that's something we want to, it may not be the easiest thing to do and it could be available for the highest attacks in the chain but it's technically possible.
One thing I want is having synergy options for groups (see the martial style, Wall of shields as an example).

3. Assuming two players duel, will both players be able to initiate a sequence of moves at the same time? If so, then how much granularity will there be in determining hits and damage? ( ie. Does the entire sequence hit or miss, or can each step in the sequence potentially hit or miss )
Each step (I take for step word you mean attack) will have his own chance to succeed or fail. The success chance won't be the same for every attack (e.g. some attacks maybe more accurate at the expense of damage or the opposite).

How do you line up your attacks so you do not run into the problem that is endemic to the short cut system where subsequent actions fail due to triggering before the first action completes?
You can queue up to 5 attacks. To queue attacks you can use the attacks window (can be opened in the next client with /attacklist), select the attack and hit the appropriate button (works just like the spellbook window) or you can drag your favorite attacks to the shortcut window and use it to queue the attacks. Once an attack is queued the attacks will be run in the queue order (FIFO = first in, first out).
The queue list will be shown, as of now, above the stance selection, below the HP and mana pool bars.

bilbous

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:00:36 am »
I guess you must have changed the short cut execution code because the last time I tried making a short cut that did several non-instantaneous things it did not work.
for an example the result of:

/cast meteor
/cast meteor
/cast meteor

was one casting of meteor and two "can't cast while casting" error messages as the second and third casts did not wait for the first to finish.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:35:35 am »
I guess you must have changed the short cut execution code because the last time I tried making a short cut that did several non-instantaneous things it did not work.
I think the chaining of manoeuvres is an intrinsic feature of the new combat system, just as today switching to an /attack stance induces a sequence of attack events with a given weapon delay.

Eonwind

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:47:02 pm »
I think the chaining of manoeuvres is an intrinsic feature of the new combat system, just as today switching to an /attack stance induces a sequence of attack events with a given weapon delay.
exact. Spells actions are not placed in a queue but attacks have a proper queue, as of now unlike any other game action. The shortcut system hasn't changed.

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 03:14:58 pm »
This is a good news, I can't wait to try it!  \\o// \\o//
I'd love to see in barbarian style something similar to "berserk mode"  :whistling:

Hangatyr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 06:30:19 am »

But well, there are different kinds of players. Some may be excited about these plans. And I may be more pessimistic than usual today. Sorry for that downer. :flowers:

I agree fully to what LigH said!

.... Bugs (new and old) will be fixed like I always did, if an old bug hasn't been fixed yet there is probably an issue that make it difficult to fix, debug or close it. About PS longsword cost they've been fixed long ago ....

Hangatyr: "Hanquist what do you offer me for those Platinum Steel Longsword Blades of finest quality?"
Harnquist: "Well ..." He starts adding up the value of the ores, taking in account the time spend to craft them, multiplying the outcome with the average weight of an Ulbernaut and finaly taking the square root out of this nonsens "... uhmm yes after taking everthing into consideration I offer you 213 Tria!!" he replies with a broad smile.
Hangatyr: "Ahh yes 213 Tria you said? Just to make sure."
Hangatyr: "I also have some Platinum Steel Sabre Blades of finest quality too. How about those?"
Harnquist using the same formula, but this time he triples the weight and divides it by the amount of sparks emitted from his furnace during a second .. "Ahh that would be .. erm .. 61 Tria my friend, a quite nice offer I may add."
Hangatyr nods and mutters "Uhmm .. 61 Tria .. If I dig some coal, I get twice as much for a single ore."

So much for "it is fixed a long time ago"!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 06:48:24 am »
Unfortunately, "fixed long time ago" may possibly mean "... on the testing server; just Talad refuses to upload this fix to the gaming server until there are other nits done". If this case were true, Eonwind is not the one to blame. Except for not stomping daily on Talad's toes... ;)

Disclaimer: That's just a more or less satirical example without any insight in the actual decisions of the development team. But the fact that many NPCs still "spook" across the plaza makes it look rather plausible.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:50:20 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador