Author Topic: Tips and Tricks  (Read 1339 times)

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Tips and Tricks
« on: January 06, 2021, 04:13:52 pm »
Dear friends,

This thread is meant to share valuable information that might be useful but unknown.
For example, I recently witnessed that some very experienced players did not know about the /study feature in crafting books.

So here are a few a few useful tips and tricks from me:

• There is free storage space available. In Hydlaa, Harnquist will store things for you. In every city or major settlement is at least one storage spot. The tria shown are not storage fee, but give an indication of the value of the item in question.
  • Fast fill the forge (and other crafting space): Instead of moving things one-by-one from your inventory to the forge, Ctrl-Click a whole stack and drop it into an empty spot in the forge. Then use Shift-Click to fill other fields with single items from the stack.
  • /study: Right-click a crafting book, then type /study in the Main chat screen. A small window will appear that allows you to enter a search string. Very useful when your crafting book has many pages. There are several that have 60+ pages.

Please add your tips and tricks. You have a great macro that helps to save time while crafting? You know something about armour that is unknown to many others? You know some trivial but funny facts?
Share. Strengthen the community. Contribute to PlaneShift.

Happy New Year, everybody.

Gonger

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 07:03:47 pm »
I love this! :thumbup:
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 02:54:40 pm »
Another very useful feature of the game is the shortcut bar. Some shortcuts are already assigned by default, and can also be activated using the number keys from 1 to 0. You can right-click on any empty shortcut slot to set its icon, assign a shortcut key (including mouse keys! a bonus if you have a gaming mouse) and enter a set of commands to be executed when you press the shortcut button.

All commands you can use in the chat window can also be used as part of a shortcut. You can find information on all commands available in PS from the help icon in the game. Two forum threads with ideas for shortcuts to create are here and here, I am sure people can reply with more ideas or links.

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 04:28:52 pm »
A small follow-up from myself with player-related commands...

* The /buddy command (or the default key b) will open the buddy list. Add players that for some reason are important to you, and you will be notified when they enter or leave the game. Once a name is on the list, you can use the Edit function to add a comment to the name.
* If a player annoys you, you can use the /ignore command - The Sound of Silence (from that player).
* If you really feel offended by somebody, you can also use /report PLAYER_NAME. This will log both the previous and coming five minutes of the player's actions.

With some luck you will never need the last two commands, but it is good to know them, just in case.

I still hope more people will share tips and tricks. I know that some of you out there use a lot of macros, for example. Why not share them, and help everybody a bit?

Greetings,

Gonger

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 05:26:39 pm »
You can speed up the pterosaur travel transactions a bit by using the /tellnpc command. You can target the pterosaur handler (not the pterosaur) and use '/tellnpc cityname' and the NPC will respond with the price of the trip. You can then give the NPC the tria manually. It's a bit faster than going through the dialogues, if you're quick.

Where this really shines is travel between Hydlaa and Amdeneir. That trip is free, due to the distinct lack of map between the two cities. You can't get there by foot, so the trip doesn't cost anything. All you have to do to travel between the two is to use '/tellnpc Hydlaa' or '/tellnpc Amdeneir' on the pterosaur handler and you'll be teleported to the other city.

Oh, and don't forget that you can use /tellnpc to ask NPCs questions! '/tellnpc About you' is a great start, and sometimes the response gives you other things you can ask about. Like the Sunshine and Shadow Squadrons, and the three departments each one is split into.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 06:47:38 am »
Here's my list of tip-and-tricks coming from the online Player's Guide:
http://planeshift.top-ix.org/pswiki/index.php/Players_Guide#Strategy_Advice

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 02:00:54 pm »
If you have a mouse with 5 buttons, you can bind the DragDropOne, DragDropAll and DragDropAmount to various keys, like PgUp, PgDn and Scroll.

You can just write a command that uses different arguments (like /drop) to see a list of arguments you can use: /drop all noguard <item>, for example.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 03:48:28 am »
All nice tips. Thank you.
Love,
Damola