Author Topic: Resurrect the PVP Zones  (Read 2257 times)

Vaneal Serozen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Resurrect the PVP Zones
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »
Hello folks, I don't have a lot time so I apologize in advance for any errors or disorganization/confusion.

Pvp zones need to be revamped. They are no longer special.  You can only fight npc in 1 out of the 3 pvp zones that I am aware of and one of them is bare of any and all content.  Many of my fellow players have expressed dissatisfaction about the current state of pvp zones, most importantly the area that was once the dlayo pit in the arena.  I never heard of there being any form of justification as to why it was removed despite is popularity or why the loot of the dlayos was also changed.  The pit used to function as a high risk high reward area to test your metal against tough npc and players alike.  Now the pit lies empty so it can be said that the pvp zone is  still there but everything it was has been lost.  Furthermore I do not recall ever hearing a reason for the abandonment of the dlayo pit.  It was one of the most enjoyed features of the game that defined end game content and player vs. player combat but it has been destoryed. 

Sure, we do have other pvp zones but lets be honest, anyone who enjoyed the pvp zones of ps is absolutely not thrilled at the idea of having a mine in a pvp zone.  Im not saying it is a bad idea mind you but it does not even come close to filling the hole left by the disabled dlayo pit.  Furthermore, it would seem that there are other locations that would be even more fitting to have a pvp zone that do not.  For example, one would think the onyx dagger rogue room in the sewers would be very dangerous but it seems it is no more dangerous than the city streets when it comes to player interaction.

My simple request is that it gets fixed or if it is deemed out of character or against the lore of the arena to make a substitute.  And I don't mean just throwing npc into the pvp zone with bad loot, the dlayos used to have some top tier loot and so should their replacement.  The current dlayo loot would not be bad to transfer to the replacement npc but it is not what it used to be.  Restoring helmets and galkards would be an excellent start to a new and rewarding loot pool.

In addition to that, the new npc could be of a race that we do not currently fight much like the enkidukai, diaboli, dwarves and/or any others I missed.  For a name, they could be called something like a Gladiator of Dakkru for a nice rp touch.  Nothing says they have to be the same either, differing weapons and magic types would make for a very interesting and challenging fight.  It would take a lot more work  to balance and all but it would not be essential to any revamp of the pit so it could be done later if need be.

In short, what I would like to see in the pit or any new pvp zone is strong, varied npc types that are comparable to the imago consumers in difficulty and have valuable but not unique loot drops.  I don't want players to feel they are left out of getting good loot or items because they are not comfortable in a pvp zone.  Mind you I'm not talking about little "hot spots" like camp banished.  I'm talking about large areas like the dlayo pit and the platinum mine and onyx dagger room that add a great visual element and are very helpful in defining the boundaries of the pvp zone.

Thanks for reading, as we know the game is in beta and my intention is to suggest ways to restore some of things I spent many hours enjoying.  I hope it was at least a semi entertaining read.  See you around in ps.

Pierrette

Re: Resurrect the PVP Zones
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 12:57:27 am »
Aw hell I like this.  I loved the dlayos and died plenty of times in that pit, both from them and from disgruntled or just random players killing me from the sidelines.

Top tier loot, but high risk.  It was awesome.  So, ditto the suggestion.  My only difference is no need to change race of gladiators in my opinion (though who wouldn't love to train up on menkis <3)...

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:04:50 am »
PvP zones can be a hotspot for exciting encounters, but also for harassment and frustration. Either way, they can add to the game experience for sure.
As far as I remember, the PvP pit in the arena was emptied for events like the champion's cup (yes, that's a long time ago).
New zones with interesting NPCs could be a nice addition.
If any new ones are added, maybe an on-screen notification when entering such zone would be helpful.
Concerning new types of gladiators: I would love to see an arena veteran NPC that is impervious to attack, unless the player challenges him via the npc dialogue menu. But I guess that is another topic.

Wocib

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:47:28 am »
It's been a long time since I haven't seen such a great topic...  \\o//
I'm fully surpporting your idea  :thumbup:

Vaneal Serozen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:31:57 am »
PvP zones can be a hotspot for exciting encounters, but also for harassment and frustration. Either way, they can add to the game experience for sure.
As far as I remember, the PvP pit in the arena was emptied for events like the champion's cup (yes, that's a long time ago).
New zones with interesting NPCs could be a nice addition.
If any new ones are added, maybe an on-screen notification when entering such zone would be helpful.
Concerning new types of gladiators: I would love to see an arena veteran NPC that is impervious to attack, unless the player challenges him via the npc dialogue menu. But I guess that is another topic.

Having an on-screen notification and/or a debuff/buff appear is an excellent idea.  It would definitely help players realize that it is dangerous area, make the boundaries more obvious and hopefully keep the new or more peaceful players from getting into to much trouble.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:00 am »
The changes to the Dlayo pit in the arena have been required by a long term project aimed at making the arena a training facility and area and making it a place where it's easy both IC and OOC to organize competitions (thus making the arena PvP pit easily accessible and without risk of aggro-ing NPCs).
You can also notice the mob distribution have been changed in order of increased challenge from lower (rat, clacker pits) from highest (dlayo pit).

In the process it lost the purpose of an hotspot area for trilling hunting-PvP mix.

The camp banished instead maintained its original purpose.

If you like the idea of having an hotspot area like this I think we can implement a similar hotspot but outside the area (whose purpose is a bit different now from what you would like).
Thinking about the other area you mentioned (the platinum mine) I think it could be the right place to revamp a PvP hotspot like you said.
This place may become a dangerous spot where both valuable resources can be collected (loot, precious ore, etc.) at the price of constant trill. I will try to think about something but maybe a tribe of dangerous NPCs (ulbernaut, bandits, etc) could roam about.
I will think of it but I'm not sure it's possible.

Farirro.c

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:07:43 am »
I've got to say I'm with Vaneal 100% on this, and in my view the pvp has lost all purpose, period. I never see anyone there, it goes entirely unused, and great fun was ruined by adjusting the Dlayo location. No offense but I would be extremely disappointed and frustrated if you don't reconsider this. Camp banished does not compare and if the bandits put at the plat mine are anything like the ones at camp banished, it would all be junk loot like with all of them besides Guile on occasion. I would like to see some added or changed pvp zones, but that idea for the plat mine seems just not good enough and to miss the point. Again I mean no offense but the changes made to that pit have effectively killed pvp and my priority and wish is that you reconsider that zone specifically, because the others are junk in my opinion and lie empty of other players 90% of the time, eliminating the purpose.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:11:02 am by Farirro.c »

Vaneal Serozen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:52:13 am »
The changes to the Dlayo pit in the arena have been required by a long term project aimed at making the arena a training facility and area and making it a place where it's easy both IC and OOC to organize competitions (thus making the arena PvP pit easily accessible and without risk of aggro-ing NPCs).
You can also notice the mob distribution have been changed in order of increased challenge from lower (rat, clacker pits) from highest (dlayo pit).

In the process it lost the purpose of an hotspot area for trilling hunting-PvP mix.

The camp banished instead maintained its original purpose.

If you like the idea of having an hotspot area like this I think we can implement a similar hotspot but outside the area (whose purpose is a bit different now from what you would like).
Thinking about the other area you mentioned (the platinum mine) I think it could be the right place to revamp a PvP hotspot like you said.
This place may become a dangerous spot where both valuable resources can be collected (loot, precious ore, etc.) at the price of constant trill. I will try to think about something but maybe a tribe of dangerous NPCs (ulbernaut, bandits, etc) could roam about.
I will think of it but I'm not sure it's possible.

Not what I had hoped to heard about the Dlayo pit but I can understand why.

As to camp banished...  I feel like you might as well try taking a sailor and putting him in a mud puddle and telling him to have fun.  Camp banished is so small you really cannot compare them.  The Dlayo pit was so big there were many spells that did not even reach across it.  Loot is also not even a comparison.

The platinum mine might be something that can be converted into a reasonable pvp zone but it would be a very odd one since it is not on level ground.  If this is done, please, for the love of fun do not put animal/monster npc in there.  There are tons of places to fight those and animal parts are not nearly as exciting or that valuable compared to named weapons.  The npc would preferably be a healthy population (none of those 3 npc groups that one player can keep killed non-stop) of    high level/difficulty humanoids that drop a variety of gear. If the loot is not working off of a unique loot pool, it should at least be given a higher change for rare names to make a solid higher risk and higher reward mechanic.  I am thinking a few groups of 5 or 6 npc that have the same or similar models (badit models perhaps), different names and reward pools that are shared with other npc in game so as to not exclude anyone who does not like pvp while still providing valuable loot. Spacing will be very critical as to keep you moving but not waste to much time in travel between npc.  I am thinking loot from onyx dagger rogues and/or dark rogues, imago and/or neoten consumers, dlayos and/or expert gladiators.

Another idea is an underground arena of sorts that hosts death fights (pvp spots with npc in them) and have many of the same gladiators as the hydlaa arena. I don't know how hard it is to make an additional room in some place like the sewers to accomplish this.  Just an idea I had.  I find it hard to believe there are no underground fighting rings like that in a land like yliakum.

apyj13

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:02 pm »
We could always bring back the brigand and his merry band (and his pies  ;) ) at a PvP location with beefed up stats. :thumbup:

Not sure how I feel about making the plat mine more annoying than it already is.  Perhaps another plat mine in a second location that is in a non-pvp area that is more out of the way/difficult to get to, but would be safer to mine at could be a potential compromise (plus it would be fun to look for a new mine again).

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:52 pm »
PvP zones can be a hotspot for exciting encounters, but also for harassment

So, willingly walking into a PvP zone and getting killed is harassment? I don't understand.

trill

Do you mean from Star Trek or the musical trill? lol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:37:47 pm by Volki »
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:08:21 am »
So, willingly walking into a PvP zone and getting killed is harassment?
Heheh, certainly not. Therefore the following remarks about the added value and about on-screen notifications ("willingly"?).
Sometimes it was a bit disruptive when a player one-shot-killed guys from a save distance, but that's part of the game. Harassment? Can be felt as such, even though it does not apply in terms of game policies. *shrug*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:22:29 am by Bonifarzia »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 04:42:28 am »
trill

Do you mean from Star Trek or the musical trill? lol

Not sure if thrill or troll... or tribble.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

feas

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 02:24:24 pm »
There are plenty of valleys in the different maps with nothing in them. I say pick one or 2 or 3 as needed or feeling greedy take what ya want. Don't see a need to put it someplace others would go to play the games quest or gather resources. Might even provide good views with folks lining the ridgelines.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 07:42:03 pm »
Here's an idea: make everywhere except the roads into PVP zones. >:]
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Pierrette

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 01:32:40 am »

Exactly, Boni.  We had some OOC spillover from the pit at times (sadly some of my friends were guilty of harassment, camping near the pit and one shotting a creature who had been rude to me every time he showed his face - effectively banning him from the pit :devil:) but overall it was great, both solo and in groups.

Awesome Eonwind  \\o//  Is there a flat plat mine around?  Or maybe a flat sapphire mine, or some other gem mine?

I haven't actually been to the plat mine since the Stillwater Peace Corpses took it over, so I better go check it out before I suggest alternatives.  Be back later.

EDIT:  [Just read Feas's comment on not combining a resource with a pvp zone...I do like the combination, but Feas is new so I think his opinion should have more weight...but if there are TWO plat mines, then the darling newbs could dig in safety if they wish...]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:39:17 am by Pierrette »