Author Topic: [guild] Civil Patrol disbanded by the City Guard.  (Read 902 times)

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
[guild] Civil Patrol disbanded by the City Guard.
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:54:04 am »
(in edit-- Much of this post is now null and void, but we choose to leave the original post untouched so as to show how this guild evolved. The first part about the history still holds true, but the ranks and such coming after are null as marked. New info and the continued history will be in a post further down starting with 'City Guard' as that is what the 'guild' shall be called now. thank you.)

In times of great need and strife, the official protectors of the people often turn to the people themselves for aid. This is the story of those people. This is the story of the Law. This is the Civil Patrol.

How it began:

As anyone who has walked the streets of Hydlaa can see, the guards of the city do not often leave the gates they protect. This is for good reason. Not so long ago, monsters found their way into the city to rampage and kill at will. It seems the guards had grown lax in their task of guarding the gates. While they were cavorting with the countless citizens who questioned them daily, the creatures made their way into the very midstā€™s of the people. Although they were killed in the end, the damage was done. The people lost their sense of being safe behind the walls.

After that incident, the guards held strong to their posts. No beast has be seen walking the streets of the city since that day. Or so the people thought. But a new beast was given birth. It was not a creature of the Labyrinths, however. it came from the people themselves. Without the guards walking the streets at night, some of the people began to become beasts themselves. Not in form, but in their hearts. Criminals. Murderers, thieves, and all low elements of humanity crawled out form the darkness in the soul. the people now know a new fear. A fear of themselves.

As most of the city guard remains out in the field, the lawlessness has run unabated. Look to the streets if you doubt this. The people now carry weapons where ever they tread foot. They carry them because of this fear. This has interrupted many of the trades and crafts. Even mining has suffered due to rumors of a killer that delights in the deaths of those that used to dig platinum. They handle their picks for platinum no more. Fear holds their hands.

Something had to be done. Something soon. So a writ was made. If the guards could not protect the people, then the people would have to protect themselves. But not with sword or ax. Not with magic nor glyph. The people would use the word of the Law. Volunteers came forth from the people. Any crime they saw would be put in one of their logbooks. Any description of the lawless would go in as well. Any name found out would be put to ink. Those on the List would not be challenged, nor fought. Nay, the Law would deal with them in its own way.

The people in this group decided on a name. They would be polite and civil on their patrols, as much as they could be. Therefore they found their name. Civil Patrol.

(in edit--) But, there was problems soon to be found in this new guild of the Law.... (contintued in another post)

The laws of the Civil Patrol are simple (and very vague yet at this point until we can learn what works well in game. See notes at the bottom of this post).

<null>Act civilly in public. Rudeness without cause will earn you a mark. (by all means this does not mean you should be polite.)

Do not disturb the peace. (Excessive fiighting and in-character shouting falls under this)

Criminal activities will have the full weight of the Law against them. Thieving, looting (robbing shops), murder, etc. (if you are identified and caught, that is.)

[ooc note: These rules are not, I repeat NOT to try to stop the above practices. We are an RP guild. Our purpose is to add another dimension of RP to the game. We are NOT here to police the players. They can do whatever they wish. Our purpose is to give the illusion of Law in the game.]

Ranks: As it is, there are only two ranks that can be given:

Deputy Watchman. This is someone who wished to be a temporary part of the guild for RP purposes. If you need some Law in your RP, this is a good option for you. The position is only yours for as long as you wish it. No fault will be given for leaving. But when in this position, you must follow guild rules.  If any Deputy is acting out of their intended role, we ask that they be reported in PMs here in the forum. We are accepting very few people at this time until the kinks are worked out of the system.

<null>Watchman. This is someone who wishes to become a more permanent part of the Civil patrol. It is invite though roleplay ONLY. We are not interested in becoming a massive guild. At this time, we are accepting no new members to this position until the Law is more firm.

<null>A third rank is Enforcer. We are not giving this rank out yet, due to its nature. This is a fighting rank. Players of this rank will be offered to events or festivals for the pre-mentioned illusion of the Law. They will force (in an RP manner) breakers of the peace to leave. This may require challenging, but hopefully not. Note: They will not kill, if they can help it. After taking the miscreant down to 1/4 life, they will back off and yield. This in not a true yield, but an RP way of letting the person RP being beaten by the Enforcer. Anyone who takes potions and tries to continue fighting in this context will be considered ooc and ignored. We are not a fighting guild, and do not aim to be, but in roleplay it is sometimes a necessary evil.

Punishment for breaking the Law: As this is an experimental guild, this part of the system is still in the works. As mentioned, there will be a 'List' of miscreants. Only names from roleplay will be added. We will ignore ooc 'noobs' and 'levelers'. What will be done with this list is in secret planning stages. (yes, that means we are not sure yet) There will be three ways to get your name off the list.

Fines: Fines will be assigned for crimes as deemed nessisary. (as it stands, there will be no fines yet. We wish to first gauge the reaction of the players on this subject. Any fines that will/may be collected would go into funds for events put on by other guilds, which we hope may hire the Civil Patrol to 'police' their event. Also, the funds may go for training and weapons of the few Enforcers we may have.

Public Service: This is the one that no one will want. It involves showing new players around, or answering questions for a certain time. Other ideas are in the works. (not enforced at this time)

Pointless tasks: This one...you REALLY won't want. Think NPC quests with no reward at the end. (may be enforced...if you are really bad. :) )

(Note: We know we can not enforce any of these. We have hopes that there may be a few good roleplayers left in the game that will go along with it. We are not trying to become a power in the realm. If you do not wish to be a part of this 'world' RP, then you do not have to be. We will ignore your crimes and character, but your name will still go on the list ((well, the do-not-disturb list)). If you do decide to join in the RP, your punishment will be waiting. :) Just find the nearest Civil Patrol and turn yourself in. For those of a darker nature that wish to 'stay' on the List, we will gladly RP along with that as well.)

This guild is an evolving guild. We will take what works and use it. We will also cast away what does not. It is going to take some amount of time to get it right. This thread will evolve along with it.

The final thought in this post is this: You can cast this guild aside, and let it vanish, or you can play along, and maybe give the game a little more -and much needed- depth and atmosphere.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 06:00:55 pm by Weavers »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: [guild] Civil Patrol
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:19:14 pm »
So any good roleplayer who wanted to could offer their services to this "law enforcement" as an alt character?

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:28:10 pm »
I think that every new guild deserves have a chance to find their place and focus their RP but, given the experience I've had watching some of this new guild's, I have a comment to make:

Any law enforcement guild has ONLY the authority the other players give them and, just like when an evil character claims that their objective is to rule the world, when someone good pretends that because they are lawful they are already, in fact, the rule of the world, we have a problem. Try not to boss other players around or you'll be causing more chaos than the one you're trying to prevent.

Law and Order need a lot of work in terms of settings. I would suggest a discussion on this topic in order to back up your RP with something we could all agree on, but in the meantime I don't think any particular guild or player can claim knowledge of spefic laws, crimes and punishments that are not part of the settings because it will lead to conflict. I'm not sure what exactly could be done to avoid this problem so all I can suggest for now is that you politely request that other players grant you the authority you want to have before doing your law-enforcement job. Best of luck.

EDIT:
I mentioned this due to seeing how they were RPing. While standing near Harnquist I could hear one guild member asking people to sheathe their weapons in the name of the law only to be reprimended by a superior guildmate for being polite to ask when he should have ORDERED them to do so. After that I volunteered to enter their black list myself because if that is how they are going to do thing I know I'm going to end up there anyways (and not because my character is a criminal). In the meantime, a bounty hunter nearby was RPing that they broke someone's finger and then slid their throat. Maybe, if they were less focused on ordering people what to do and more into bringing the issue of abiding by the law, they could have gotten perfectly involved with what was a more disturbing problem to civil order, imho (cracking bones, and open throats that is). As often, I agree with you Xillix, but given this particular experience I felt it was important to mention it. And yes, everyone's invited to participate in the Killer of the Sewers plot! :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:21:13 pm by zhai »
:: The Flaming Feather :: Lady of the Rangers ::

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 01:37:59 pm »
Zhai I think that is the essence of what this poster has said, they would only be operating within rps and with rpers who choose to accept their roles. This does not seem like some random guild started by a new player . . .

Perhaps you could give them a chance within your current rp . . .we should see how they are before getting clenched up

I hereby invite the Civil Patrol with to interact with my rp . . .let's see what comes of it . . .

If I am correct they are opening themselves to established rpers to join with them as alt characters, so if someone wanted "a law enforcement authority" in their rp not only could they ask the Civil Patrol to participate, they could also offer a "deputy" (one of their own alt characters) to play the role of Cop . . . 

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:00:31 pm »
Log: July the 30th.

The four stage experiment at the blacksmiths gave mixed responses. Some were not surprising, others were more than so. In effect, the entire affair was a set up form the beginning to gauge the reaction of the people to various forms of persuasion at a simple task. That being the attempt to convince them to sheath their weapons. We did not expect to be successful. Some tests are created just to fail. In the following, we will detail the test and its stages.

Stage one: Proclaim the presence of the Law in a broad base area. Also known as a /shout. The content of this shout did not matter, as long as the people became aware. The player chose to target the shout at, but of course, shouting itself. There was no intention of actually stopping the excessive new-player shouting for help or weapons. It was, however, in the Civil Patrol character's nature to shout these words. Therefore it was roleplaying.

Results:
1. Not surprisingly, the shouting did not abate in the least. This was not expected anyways.
2. the attention needed for the test was gained as many players turned to the CP member.
3. This was somewhat of a surprise. One of the new-players actually apologized. Perhaps one lesson was learned that day.
4. A very great surprise. Seconds after the shout was made, in a very RP manner for the role being played, a GM gave a tell to the CP saying shouting was not to be used in roleplay. It is only to be used in emergencies. This confused the player. After a few tells back and forth on the subject, the player asked two simple questions. "Why?" and "What constitutes an emergency in a game such as this?" No answer was given.

Stage two: The ridiculous demand. The player was told to ask everyone to put their weapons away. It is laughable if anyone actually thought it would have been obeyed. a puzzling situation followed. The player look at many of the Character Descriptions before starting the test to establish possible new players from old.

Results:
1: Surprising: Some of the new players unequipped their weapons. Those that were not fixing them, that is.
2: Unsurprising: One of them took out, or had out an ax, and chose to defy the order by standing directly in front of the CP. This was ignored, as it was not part of the test.
3: The main part, and most surprising, is that none of the visible players that had been assumed to be 'older' players put away the blades. Most seemed to take it as a personal affront that anyone would ever tell them what to do. The mood taken was this: "It is my choice to carry and run with a sharp object, therefore it is my right" One even demanded to be put on the 'List'. This was perhaps the most surprising of all. It showed that there is no fear for laws in the game, RP or otherwise.

Stage three: Good cop, bad cop. As things settled down, (without change) a new element was added. The severe and uptight 'Chief' archetype. This CP immediately dressed his subordinate down for not doing his job. This was intended to serve two purposes. One, shift the anger of the players to a new target. Two, make the first CP seem more sympathetic to the people. The results were exactly as expected.
1: Anger was nearly completely shifted to the higher CP. This was likely due, in part, to the lower CP taking the people's side that the law was a little strict on this subject.
2: The people did seem to start seeing the lower CP more eye to eye.

Stage four: The threat. The higher CP gave one last threat before leaving. Do your job or else. Of course, this meant the lower CP was to take down all the names next to the blacksmith. However, as any who were there know, he did not do this. Even for the one who demanded it. In effect, this tactic was used to 'humanize' the character. In other words, he is meant to uphold the law, but he is still one of you. Again, the results came back as expected.
1: No anger seemed to remain for the lower CP after the higher left. The ploy to ingratiate him a bit with the people had worked. Some of them now saw him as 'on their side'. Which, of course, he was.
2: Respect was gained for standing up for himself and the people, even though it would cause trouble for him.

This concludes the test. We will now strike 'bared weapons' off the list of minor crimes. That is unless they come into the taverns. Then they are fair game. Even the RPers see these places as 'safe zones'. Also, the 'chief' will be more mellow from now on. We are RPing it up to stress. Perhaps if you are persasive enough on your next enconter with him, you will learn the cause.

In other news, the lower CP member has been demoted for his action, or lack of action, that is. This is an RP guild after all.

To citizen Zhai: Yes, we know of this. As stated, this was a test of emotional response to being told what to do. We would have asked first, but that would have fautled the results. There will be no more 'knocking the door down and taking charge' going on. We are the 'Civil' Patrol, after all. As for now, our laws will be based on the common sense of what is right and wrong. For the most part, we will only 'enforce' the law in RPs we are asked into. Most of the time we will simply be standing around looking pretty. Our aim is not be be the center of a roleplay, but more of a prop. Like the trees and buildings. If needed, we will respond.

As to the assassin, that was not part of the test, nor were we invited into it. Perhaps in the future (if this guild does continue) players would be willing to put something in their character description to indicate if they wish to RP with the CP.

To Citizen Xillix: Yes, anyone who has the need to be a temporary Deputy Watchman will be accepted. Our rules of conduct are vague at best right now, so we are not accepting any of the higher ranks yet, and not many of the lower. Good RP is a must. And we have already accepted your offer ingame, and placed someone on your case. If you wish us to post in your [RP] thread, we can try to do that as well. Any posts would have to be done in IC logbook entries.

Now, we hope we have not confused anyone. If so, we will put it in the simplest terms we can. If you need to RP a fight, you take out a sword. If you need to RP a drink, you take out a mug. If you need to RP a feast, you use food items as the props. If you need a visual representative of the Law, you call the Civil Patrol. (the best way to do so is still in the works, as I am sure none of you wish to register for yet -another- forum.)

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:05 pm »
Isn't law enforcement subject to a bigger sense of duty? It strikes me as a bit OOC to chose to participate in RP you are invited to. A cop wouldn't ask if he can butt in if an emergercy happened, he would respond to his sense of duty and do what he has been trained to do. Sitting around looking pretty waiting for an invitation can get you nowhere RPwise. We are supposed to react as well, not only "act a certain way". If you see something that common sense indicates as a violation of the law or a situation in which you should get involved, you should step in, it would be your responsibility, at least to warn in /tell how your character would react to such a scene to the other players and what you are planning to do.

You will find Stanley Milgram's studies of obedience an interesting reference for your experiment. But how do you explain IC the rationale of perfoming such an experiment? If your guild is basically a group of civilians, where does the sociologic/psychologic background to put together this experiment come from, within a medieval context, and with what purpose? Again, a bit OOC. Sadly, in my character's mind (not mine as a player), and I'm referring only to the characters not the players behind (so please don't take offense), the higher CP was a sorry prepotent jerk and his subordinate just a twit (and Zhai will roleplay her opinon of them accordingly). Running experiments ingame is no exception when it comes to consequences IC, no matter how OOC they are. By revealing your observations you are not deleting the facts and should not expect us to change our characters' conclusions from what was witnessed.

I really don't want to be "in the black list" (Zhai Norma Raes her way when she finds it necessary but she is no criminal). Please, don't take my observations the wrong way. I really want to support your cause because, after all, my character is actually lawful... only that she would not put up with that kind of interpretation of the law (again, rather prepotent). That's why I suggest we talk about the law a bit more maybe in another thread. If I can help in any way, do PM me.

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:43 pm »
Ah yes, our young pupil. Forgive us for not mentioning that the entire last post was truly out of character. It was our own obsevations from outside the glass bowl that we listed. We have no intention of changing any character's mind in the matter. As said, the matter has been delt with In character as well, completely seperate from the test.

Your observations on the two characters used in this RP are very much correct, and not in the least like the personalities of the player. The higher ranking officer was, as you said, a prepotent jerk. The subordinate vouteered after a string of failed jobs, and has always been played as a bit of a blockhead. We do not take offence at your charracter, or you, the player, seeing them exactly as we portraied them. In fact, we deem it a compliment.

Now, one thing we will not do is force our roleplay on those that do not wish it. That always ends in disaster, and out of charracter arguments. This experiment was designed to prove that very point. We ended it before the ooc went beyond a few comments. We will use tells to ask if we may step in, but we know that the answer will generally be "no". As for participating in RP that we are not invited to, how do you think it would have turned out if we had tried to force our way into the Vespers vs Thieves RP without being invited? What would have happened if we tried to arrest Xillix for her crime of killing the beggar without the player's permision? You know the answer. Like it or not, roleplay tends to be exclusive in this game at times. What is not wanted is ignored or glazed over. We would have been swept under the rug as yet another new guild that tried to 'rule the world'. This is not our objective, nor will it ever be. We DO NOT have any true power. We are an RP tool. When we are fully ready, we expect to be used as such.

From this point forward the guild will be moving slow, and taking small steps. We will test each point we wish to add to the system before moving on to the next. If you do see us, we would ask kindly that you A: Play along as if being reported actually could cause harm to your character in reputation at least. B: Ignore us, as we do not wish to get into time wasting IC or OOC arguments on the validity of our guild. That is the only help we ask for now, and the most important.

One last thing that you can not forget is that this game is considered pre-alpha. That includes everything in it. From the graphics to Setting to guilds and to your very characters. We are testing what works in game mechanics, in story mechanics, and in roleplay. Flaws will be found in all three. We play fully understanding this.

Have a nice day, and obey the Law.

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:35 am »
I believe part of Roleplay is where you decide to have it. Ignoring another person by focusing only in our own event is not very realistic. I personally like to see a reaction when I do my own RPs. If I choose to do them in public spaces it is because they belong there, there is an IC reason for them and an IC reaction is expected. It is very likely that others will be interested in saying something and that should be allowed. I'm not talking about straigh up challenging someone (which, happened to me once in ojaveda and I had to decline for RP's sake) but saying something (and then challenge if RP leads to that). We can always find ways to let the what was planned happen but keeping our characters' personalities coherent.

I think that there is a lot of potential here. We could use more organizations that make us act and react by creating vivid experiences. I think of Dwarvesbane again as a good example of this. You had to take a stand. Bringing the existence of the law to the attention of the other players can have a similar effect, by making them react to that context: "If I have to argue with a bounty hunter, I should try to find a place where, if needed, we could fight with no one to bother us because there are guards now...", etc.

Finally, and once more, in the current plot of the Killer of the Sewers, we have invited everyone who wishes to participate to step in. I extend the invitation to your guild now. Feel free to contact me ingame or PMing me for details.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 09:48:36 am »
I would hope that in time with successful roleplays behind them this group called the CP would have added credence and perhaps be more broadly accepted. We do not think of consent of the governed anymore, we just pay the ticket, or bail or whatever, this has to do with the size of government vs the size of the individual. In our world there is little point in resisting arrest (or even protesting the government) however, in Yliakum any would-be policing force NEEDS that, as you pointed out in your first post Zhai. I think the CP is working toward building a sense of trust in their capacity to roleplay the part they wish to play in order to build that consent.

Let us say for example in the cases of both the theives vs vespers, and killer of the sewers rp's, that the Civil Patrol does their job well and they roleplay in public, and with our permission, they may through perfoming as set pieces in our rps call attention to their capacity to play that role fairly and in a manner that is well acted and consistent, then later someone who watched or participated more peripherally in one of our rp's might well decide that they need "a representation of law or order" for their later rp's and in this way consent is slowly build. Reputation based recognition of this type might in time allow them greater community acceptance than if the just stood forth and said, "we are the law."

but what do the rest of you crazies think?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:44:30 am by Xillix Queen of Fools »

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 11:10:09 am »
Well im interested. But is there any experience required?

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 09:42:47 pm »
To Zhai: To be a 'presence' in the world is our end goal, but to attempt that now would be guild suicide. In time, perhaps we can be viewed as a symbol of the law. People will se a patrol pass, and think to them selves, or tell to a friend. "That is the Civil Patrol. We better be on our best behavior." But also that we are there to keep them 'safe'. The added affect of the 'appearance' of the Law will benefit many RPs, even if our job is just to stand there as an RP goes on. Think of how you behave if you see a police officer in real life, or a patrol car in your mirror. Now, use that ingme. That is our goal. Nothing more, nothing less. True roleplaying is taking all of the elements around you, and judging how your character will act. We wish to be one of those elements, if the world will accept us.

As to your offer of the 'Killer' RP, our current Watchmen are stationed elsewhere (in another RP) but we are willing to deputize anyone who wishes to give your RP the added element of the Law. For now, that role should be basic. The CP is not a 'hero' guild, nor do we wish to be. But, on occasion, we can deputize a 'hero' for you.

As it stands ingame now, there seems to be just a cycle of player vs. player revenge and taking the law into their own hands. That is what Fylork referred to ingame as the "Cesspool of lawlessness". Only in chaotic societies should this happen all the time. Right now, there are two options ingame to solve an RP conflict. One is to gloss it over, or work it out. The other is to go vigilante. We wish to add a third option to that. 'Call the Civil Patrol'.

To Xillix: Well said. But you do not have to keep buttering us up. We will not pull out of your RP due to lack of support. As said, we are a very basic guild at the moment, and will build slow, so as any mistakes we make along the way can be remedied without causing great ripples. In time, we do hope that the community will look on the name of the Civil Patrol as a useful part of daily RP.

To Colinb: The only experience required at this time is roleplay experience. You must be able to play your character well in many situations, but also to just stand around 'looking pretty', as we all know real cops do. ;) We will PM you to inquire if you wish to be a permanent member, or a deputy in one of the RPs we have been invited into.

In the future, the higher ranks of the CP will need to be able to fight, if an RP calls for it. This is not, I repeat NOT the main purpose of the guild, but may be required at times.

Deputy Watchmen will be player's main characters, offen as not, and they may use them for fighting purposes if they wish. But only when RP and the Law calls for it.

Watchmen, however, are never to fight. They are to uphold the Law by pressence and reporting to the 'list'. If a Watchman proves him/herself a good RPer in our eyes, and wish to fight for the CP and Law, they will be promoted to Enforcer.

On another item, we will be posting in both the Thieves and Killer RP threads to indicate our willingness to join, and also to ask for deputies to step forth to RP in them in the name of the Law. We are short on needed deputies at this time. This is a guild of the people, and you are those people.

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 06:52:35 am »
Well I am interested in joining then.BTW why does it seem that we always have hte same number of posts?

I kinda belive there has to be a militia group. Because it goes along well with the midieval theme. And is way more easy to RP.

Please avoid posting two or more successive posts before others have replied. Just edit your last post to add new information. --Santiago
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 08:21:59 am by Santiago »

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: [guild] Civil Patrol disbanded by the City Guard.
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 08:53:20 pm »
The City Guard, true enforcers of the law:

(history continued) The Civil Patrol had started out as a grand plan, but something was obviously wrong. The citizens of the city began to go the Guardsmen at the gates and patrolling the inner city and Plaza with reports of disturbances. This was normal for the most part, until the Guard learned of who the reports were on. It was the Civil Patrol that had the people in an uproar. It seemed that the appointed leader was an ex-captain of the armed forces often sent into the Stone Labyrinths on raids. Fylork Temitey was the name of this Kran. Though his methods were good and true as heart, they were also harsh and strict, as he had learned in his many years in service. But the people would not accept his way of enforcing the law, as they should not. They were free people, not some fresh face under his command. Fylork could not understand why the people did not wish his way of peace, so tried to force it on them through his underlings. But, his underlings were also just members of the community, and did not like the thought of treating their friends as criminals for just the most minor of supposed infractions. Soon, even members of the Civil Patrol began going to the Guard, and asking that something be done about the Kran.

The City Guard opened an investigation into the matter, and gave their findings to the reigning Vigesimi, who had created the Civil Patrol in the first place. The Vigesimi saw that they had made a mistake in their quest for peace, so set about finding a solution. The solution was obvious to the Guards themselves, though the Vigesimi had been unwilling to take that path before due to dwindling tax income and hard times. That solution was simply more official Guards on patrol. Not the untrained Civil Patrol, but full members of the City Guard. This plan did not sit well with the Vigesimi, as the coffers were even tighter now due to the collapse of some of the richer mines. So they came to a compromise. The City Guard would have its new members, but not full members as the Guardsmen had wished. The new division would be made up of new recruits placed directly under the control of existing Guardsmen. Most did not like this, but Jefecra Harcrit jumped at the opportunity, and took on most of the responsibilities himself, since he is a great guy.

Jefecra even found a use for stern old Fylork. The new recruits would need training and someone to discipline them if they got out of line. Fylork was not suited to enforce the Law on the people, but he was perfect for this task. So, he became the new Taskmaster of the recruits. Since he was too busy with his other duties, Jefecra also gave the Kran the task of bringing in new members, and dismissing them as well. So far, this seems to working well for all. Well, the recruits may beg to differ, but this is what they signed up for.

Guild information:
This continues to be a non-leveling, non-dueling guild. This does not mean that you canā€™t level until your heart is content. We just donā€™t require it. However, if you do find a way to level in a good RP manner -such as drills in the arena with or without fellow members-, you may be given extra points by Fylork. PM Weavers if you think you should be awarded points, and why.

We ask that members edit their character description to include what is in <<this>> for each rank (with your own personal touches, of course). We also ask that you PM your interest in joining to Weavers if you can not find any guild members ingame, as it is yet a very small guild. Lastly, every member of the guild MUST put this in their description: ā€œContact Weavers with a PM on the forum if you are having problems with my roleplay.ā€ Failure to do so will result in being expelled from the guild.

New ranks:
Deputy Watchman. This is someone who wishes to be a temporary part of the guild for RP purposes. If you need some Law in your RP, this is a good option for you. The position is only yours for as long as you wish it. No fault will be given for leaving. But when in this position, you must follow guild rules.  If any Deputy is acting out of their intended role, we ask that they be reported in PMs here in the forum or to a higher ranking Guard ingame.

---Rules for a deputy:
1. Add <<A yellow cloth circle embroidered with a sword crossing a shield designates <character name> as a Deputy Watchman in the City Guard.>>

2. You may only act as a Deputy in the RP you intended. This rank is not permission to go vigilantly on all bad guys you see. You may do that if your character is prone to, but you will be removed from the guild. Note that removal in this way does not mean we see you as a bad roleplayer. Quite the opposite.

3. Not required, but encouraged: PM Weavers with a short log of what happened while in character so that we may add it to our log.

New Recruit. This is the rank for someone intending on being in the guild for a while, if not permanently. This does not have to be a main character. Nor do we have a time or activity requirement for being in this role, as we know many good roleplayers have limited time online. If you wish to have access to your own Guard character without relying on other members the guild (as time zones sometimes make difficult) this is a good option, and encouraged as well.

-----Rules for a new recruit: You will be given 50 points upon joining. These points can be taken away by any member of the guild (except deputies) for breaking the rules below. Lose all your points, and you will be removed from the guild

1:Add <<<character name>> wears one of the large blue badges of the City Guards. A red stripe indicates he/she is a new recruit. He/she also carries the standard blue Guard log-book chained to a thick belt.>>  Also, please add On or Off Duty as you play as it will affect points. Anything with IC is not frowned upon for RP, but must be punished IC. Any OOC violations are double, and are very much frowned on. Points will be rewarded for good RP and submitted logs.

2: No going in the Tavern while on duty unless there appears to be trouble. As a new recruit, you are not yet trusted to be around drink while patrolling. On duty -2 points Off, no punishment. However, getting drunk On duty is -10 (fun RP) and Off -5.

3. No ā€˜getting in the faceā€™ of another character, in or out of character while on duty. We do not want to be in the habit of arguing the validity of this guild. This is a waste of time for all players involved. If asked who you report to, the answer should always be Jefecra. If asked who started the guild, the answer is a confused look, and the statement that the Guard has always been here, you are just a new recruit, and any further questions should be asked to Jefecra Harcrit by the Tavern. If the other player refuses to stop, ignore them. Since violating this rule could be considered bad RP, it will have ranks of lost points.  On Duty IC - 5. Off duty IC -2 On or Off duty OOC -10 Total flame war -30.

4: No giving ā€˜the third degreeā€™ inquisitions. You are just a recruit, and do not have the power to do this. Ask politely but firmly. Never look at a personā€™s character description and use OOC information they may have there. If we hear of this, you will be warned once. Twice will be ejected immediately.

5: No fighting while On duty. -10 Off duty is your own business unless you are breaking the law.

6: Other criminal actions will get you tossed from the guild and fined. So be sure you donā€™t get caught if you plan on being a ā€˜bad copā€™.

Senior Recruit. The same rules as above apply. However, a Senior Recruit can give orders to a new one. Abuse of this will cost you points, though. Add <<

Lieutenant: This rank is for the best of best roleplayers, who are given free reign to command the other members and go where they please. We will consider this rank to be as close to a ā€˜realā€™ (NPC) guard as possible. This rank will be given to very few people. A breach of conduct for someone in this position will be severe, either IC or OOC, depending on the offence.  IC is accepted as part of roleplay, and can be fun. OOC is not.

Taskmaster (guild leader): This is Fylork. He will be the one to invite new members. He has no power to enforce the law, nor can he patrol. His only task is to watch over the Recruits, and assign duties of tasks if needed. Any reports of misconduct ingame or in PMs here go directly to him.

The rest of the ranks are unneeded at this time, so are null.

Rule on dueling for all ranks: This is a gray area right now, and is subject to change. If you are attacked in an RP manner, you may fight back. If someone asks for help, or you witness a violent crime, you may challenge the attacker as a last resort.

Reporting crimes: PM Weavers with the names and general description of the lawbreakers ONLY if they agree to take part in the City Guard RP. We are not in the business of forcing RP on folks who do not wish it. RPing along with you may be considered agreement, but it is always best to ask in tells. The reports will be eventually be placed in a public record once every week (hopefully). Names will be left out of the public records. ;)

Weapons: The Recuits are ill funded at the moment, due to the Cityā€™s income problem, so the Guard is on their own until a good source of arms can be found. If you are given a weapon by the City Guard (not likely at this time), it is still owned by the Guard, and must be returned if you leave or are dismissed.

Right now, we are accepting new members, but only if you agree to the above terms.

Note: As of yet, there are no set punishments for crimes and we will start a thread on the subject when the structure of the guild is ready. There are also likely to be holes in the above information. Critiquing is welcome. Flamers will be put on the List as suspected arsons. Thank you for your time.

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: [guild] Civil Patrol disbanded by the City Guard.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 10:21:04 am »
Im still confused hehe. So the "City Guard" is replacing the Civil Patrol?